PDA

View Full Version : 4cyl Neon Head Work ~ Quality Shop Needed ~

awsomeears
04-04-2010, 07:47 PM
95% positive my head gasket on the neon is just starting to go and it will be parked till I figure it out. I'd like to have a shop clean up my DOHC head for flatness and check out the springs,retainers,valve guides and Valves....

Kiltpatricks comes to mind as a buddy recommends him from previous neon head work, but who else knows there SHIT that can check it over based off Factory/Crane spec's ?

jakedrew
04-04-2010, 08:25 PM
C&S did my brothers stock DSM head. they just cleaned it up,(no porting work done) vavle job,new vavles/guides and it wasnt too bad of a price. Held up to 475awhp :).

good luck

STANMAN
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Kilpatricks is a safe bet, but man they charge for thier stuff! Have heard good stuff about C&S as well, but they are more of an all around shop rather than Mopar specific.

jbiscuit
04-04-2010, 08:59 PM
I was very impressed with AMS here in west allis when I went to go talk to them about my project. They will be doing the heads for me. They aren't cheap but then again no quality machine work is. The Race Shop in Seymour,WI is run by a cylinder head guru. Ask for Charlie. Good luck

Z06 KID
04-05-2010, 06:31 PM
extreme speed on drexel just west of howell in the same lot as roth heating. it is a one man company and the guy does a hella good job and is a cool guy too!

Beagle
04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
extreme speed on drexel just west of howell in the same lot as roth heating. it is a one man company and the guy does a hella good job and is a cool guy too!

I have also heard good things about his shop. :thumbsup

WhatsADSM
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Once you get the machine work done you should really get a decent engine management system on there.

modmachz
04-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Its a neon!!! get it vac tested, pressure tested, ultrasonic cleaned,and if it all passes do a surface and call it a day!! now you also have options to touch up the valves & seats and Install the expensive valve seals you bought when you buy the headset!!! Also the cam train as we call it needs to be removed by you or it can be done for a extra charge because you have to keep things in order and do lifter work as well and than install cams etc....

The basic service of a head special which includes: Pressure test head with cams and lifters removed by customer, vac test all valves, machine Surface, clean, package finished product and deliver if requested!! dealers, independent shops Etc.
Runs 195.00

FYI.. The place in south milwaukee I heard is closed, Not sure what kilpatrick all does, If it aint a race engine not sure if cs will touch it, and I know for sure any of these mentioned do not have a vac test station as well as a ultrasonic cleaning system!!

And also I have 2 flow benches to reman your fuel injectors with before and after results while you are doing cyl head.

Hope this answers all questions, and If You need more answered I can help you out Just call 262-521-2250
Donny Kompas...

awsomeears
04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Once you get the machine work done you should really get a decent engine management system on there.

Its old school but works Awesome :thumbsup

There's guys out there putting down 200-500whp on a rrfpr The neon's just work well with it :thumbsup

Plus me and a computer Engine Management system will not mix, I'm not that Techy :rolf

Also out of boost the car drives like a daily driver with mid 20's MPG

Russ Jerome
04-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Worlds highest flow Neon DOHC head ;)
http://sites.google.com/site/shelbycoltrt/home/077.jpg
Had C&S make a pass just before I finished the Lone Wolf Head, makes Darrel Cox's race heads look like crap ;) CNC intake runners on top...ever runs the car is gonna scream :(

WhatsADSM
04-05-2010, 09:08 PM
Its old school but works Awesome :thumbsup

There's guys out there putting down 200-500whp on a rrfpr The neon's just work well with it :thumbsup

Plus me and a computer Engine Management system will not mix, I'm not that Techy :rolf

Also out of boost the car drives like a daily driver with mid 20's MPG

Yea but it is definately limiting you. I also can't help but think that the lack of timing control helped play a part in popping that HG.

If you ever decide to go the Megasquirt route I'd be more than happy to help you get it up and running.

Slow Joe
04-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Yea but it is definately limiting you. I also can't help but think that the lack of timing control helped play a part in popping that HG.

If you ever decide to go the Megasquirt route I'd be more than happy to help you get it up and running.

Will you extend that offer to others with strange combinations that are possibly looking to learn MS? :thumbsup

awsomeears
04-05-2010, 09:55 PM
There are quit a bit of neon guys running MS I must say...

letsrunem
04-05-2010, 10:04 PM
C&S all the way. I've been going there for a few years now and they always treat me great. Mel and Clint are awesome and they hook me up with great prices and service. I wouldn't go anywhere else.

WhatsADSM
04-05-2010, 11:55 PM
Will you extend that offer to others with strange combinations that are possibly looking to learn MS? :thumbsup

Sure why not.

There are quit a bit of neon guys running MS I must say...

Yea its very popular with the 1g guys esspecially. Lack of a good solution to tune the stock ECU, and "value" builds seems to push a lot of them into using the MS. IIRC, the MS will run with all the stock sensors on the neon. Besides the effort needed to wire and tune, you can't beat getting a nice a standalone with full fuel/ignition/etc control for only a few hundred.

spooln30
04-06-2010, 12:02 AM
AMS is the best machine shop I have ever done bussines with. Steve runs a top notch shop. I've used c&s and they mess some things up and have seen other screw ups from them also. I don't think they are knowledable with import engines at all. Plus Steve bought a 24 bit milling tool. And that thing gets RA finishes better than any factory machine work I've seen. The prices are good. I will never go anywhere else. ++++1 for AMS

modmachz
04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
24 Bit or Multiple Bit systems are a thing of the past, however you could get a nice looking finish with them if you want to use it to mill smaller pieces etc..

Newest in any machine shop that is reputable would be by far and nothing better than a CBN..To do cylinder Heads and Blocks Etc..

Hope This Helps Clarify machine shop tooling!!!

spooln30
04-10-2010, 08:55 PM
All that I am saying is that ams produced a better than factory finish on all of the heads and blocks that I have gave him. And Toyotas finishes are top notch.

modmachz
04-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Also remember good looking finish is not always the answer!!! There is a certain RA finish that needs to be followed per manufacturer..But I do understand your thought..

Donny...

srt4eh
04-11-2010, 07:14 PM

Wanna hook me up? I'm about to swap in my srt-internalled 2.4 into my 98 R/T with a Hahn 16G. I was going to go the RRFPR as well but MS is tempting...once again...I'm not very techy either. My DSP is awesome on the srt because I know how to adjust fuel and thats it...lol.

As for Extreme Speed....I had an intake manifold ported there....awesome work. That sucks if its closed. I want that super ported head...thats sick...but I'd never put it to good use.