PDA

View Full Version : cable-dishnetwork-direct tv?

hrsp
03-30-2010, 09:52 PM
Moving in with my girl on the first...she has basic t.v now.i have timewarner at my place currently...

So where do you get your "tv" service from? and what do you pay?

dont need home phone or internet...just alot of hd stations to enjoy!! lol

Z You L8r
03-30-2010, 10:31 PM
If you want the most HD stations get Directv. I have it and I have also had the unpleasant experiance of Time Warner Cable the last couple of months while living with my parents temporarily. I have to say that the equipment with Time Warner Cable is absolutely terrible. I have exchanged the HD DVR box twice and still have a problem with a flickering of the HD channels from time to time. The picture is also not quite as good. Also if you have to have Sunday Ticket like I do, well Directv is your only option. I'd say that Directv costs maybe about $10 more per month especially if you have several receivers as extra receivers are $5 each per month, while with cable you don't have to have a box for the extra receivers and just get regular, non-hd cable.

Also Directv is not limited by bandwidth like Time Warner Cable is, therefore is primed to add many more HD channels in the coming months/years.

hrsp
03-30-2010, 10:37 PM
id like to have the crappy "nfl network" to see the 5 games a year they get but its not a deal breaker...

the nba league pass is availabe for all the options correct?

Z You L8r
03-30-2010, 10:42 PM
Thats right I forgot about NFL network on Directv. NBA league pass is on all providers.

Also you can call up Directv a few times a year and ask for what specials they have. You can get some free stuff a couple times a year like free showtime or tmc for 3 months or $10 off your bill for 6 months or my favorite is that I always bitch about sunday ticket every year and have gotten the hd package free ($99) and about $50 off every year. They are so intent on keeping subscriber that all you have to say is I want to talk to someone in retention and they pretty much give you the moon.

Got Boost
03-31-2010, 08:01 AM
I believe Dish has more HD

Anakonda69
03-31-2010, 12:33 PM
dish blows. directv ftmfw!

DurtyKurty
03-31-2010, 12:37 PM
Over the Air Broadcast FTMFW!

IcePickFreak
03-31-2010, 12:41 PM
Directv, see the other thread about att u-verse for my horrible experience with them when I decided to try it for a month (which only lasted a few days).

Korndogg
03-31-2010, 12:47 PM
I have been thinking about switching to direct tv for the fact that when I want to watch a HD channel. Half of the time it says its not available. I'm getting pretty fed up with it.

I just chatted with their customer service....this is their excuse...

Connie: Its possible that with the warmer weather comes the squirrel chews on our lines.
Connie: Unfortunately, our lines are not electrified so they like to chew on them.

Karps TA
03-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Con's of Direct TV.

Anytime you make a change to your service, like swap a box or something they'll sign you up for another 12 months on your contract without letting you know. They'll tell you they told you so, but they don't. Then it's $20 a month to get out of your contract.

When the weather is shitty, you lose service, especially the HD channels. I don't know about you but when there's tornado sirens going off around me, I like to be able to turn on the tv and find out what's going on.

IMO they don't package their channels very well for the consumer. Depending on your interests you may be stuck subscribing to a much more expensive package just to get that 1 or 2 channels you got included with TWC. Plus you pay $10 a month extra for HD channels.

I myself hate the damn company. But Uverse isn't out by me yet.

i will say the 1 good thing is you can now network your boxes so you can watch DVR'd programs on any tv. Although it's in Beta and free right now, they'll probably charge for the service in the future and add 12 more months to your contract.

Rocket Power
03-31-2010, 04:13 PM
IMO they don't package their channels very well for the consumer. Depending on your interests you may be stuck subscribing to a much more expensive package just to get that 1 or 2 channels you got included with TWC.

You can get channels ala carte for a couple/few bucks a month, I do that with the outdoor channel.

I had Directv installed when I bought the house, tried TWC for a short time and went back to Directv. During the time I had TWC I had more tv outage time in the less than a year I had in all the years I've had Directv. Mine only goes out during REALLY bad storms and then only for a short time.

Lash
03-31-2010, 04:24 PM
I hate DTV. They scammed me out of several hundered dollars after their "free 30 trial" failed to work at my house consistently because of unknown problems.
I though TWC was bad until we had to deal with those ass hole.

Karps TA
03-31-2010, 05:24 PM
You can get channels ala carte for a couple/few bucks a month, I do that with the outdoor channel.

I had Directv installed when I bought the house, tried TWC for a short time and went back to Directv. During the time I had TWC I had more tv outage time in the less than a year I had in all the years I've had Directv. Mine only goes out during REALLY bad storms and then only for a short time.

Did you have to bitch to get ala carte? I don't see anywhere on their site or googling that they offer that?

My dish is on my roof, with nothing blocking it's view and every bad rain storm I lose channels, especially HD. Snow on the dish is the worst. Cause it's usually at 10pm at night and I have go out there with an extendable handle brush and try to wipe it off.

Essentially all your options suck nowadays. My dad has been a DTV subscriber since the start, and anytime he wants something like a HD box or DVR he has to yell and scream. But since they have the NFL package he's stuck. They only care about new customers, the current customers can fuck themselves.

Rocket Power
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM
Did you have to bitch to get ala carte? I don't see anywhere on their site or googling that they offer that?

My dish is on my roof, with nothing blocking it's view and every bad rain storm I lose channels, especially HD. Snow on the dish is the worst. Cause it's usually at 10pm at night and I have go out there with an extendable handle brush and try to wipe it off.

Essentially all your options suck nowadays. My dad has been a DTV subscriber since the start, and anytime he wants something like a HD box or DVR he has to yell and scream. But since they have the NFL package he's stuck. They only care about new customers, the current customers can fuck themselves.No I found out you could get it from an outdoor channel ad a few years ago, guess no one thought it was worth buying a package to get the channel. I think it's one of those things they offer but don't want to talk about. I just asked and they said ok.

jakedrew
03-31-2010, 08:07 PM
I am pleased with my direct tv.

FoxStang
03-31-2010, 08:32 PM

Essentially all your options suck nowadays. My dad has been a DTV subscriber since the start, and anytime he wants something like a HD box or DVR he has to yell and scream. But since they have the NFL package he's stuck. They only care about new customers, the current customers can fuck themselves.

They must hate you guys or something, never had a problem, we called, they showed up lickety split. And I can count on one hand how many times the Satellite has gone out in bad weather in the past three years on one hand. Get extra stuff too all the time, everyone else I talk to with DTV doesn't usually have anything too bad to say either. But like you said, different people seem to have different experiences. I've heard nothing but terrible things about TWC from others who've had it, no first hand experience though.

Holeshot
03-31-2010, 09:40 PM
Been with Directv since they were Prime Star( pirated for several years) I have had TWC and U verse. I prefer Direct but thats just my opinion.

Karps TA
04-01-2010, 07:50 AM
They must hate you guys or something, never had a problem, we called, they showed up lickety split. And I can count on one hand how many times the Satellite has gone out in bad weather in the past three years on one hand. Get extra stuff too all the time, everyone else I talk to with DTV doesn't usually have anything too bad to say either. But like you said, different people seem to have different experiences. I've heard nothing but terrible things about TWC from others who've had it, no first hand experience though.

It's not the getting stuff from them that is my problem. It's the extending my service contract. They swapped boxes for me without any issues. It's then they popped me for another 12 months of service. I hate being locked into service contracts. And I hate it even more if they do it behind my back without first telling me that making the change will result in extending it. They have tens of thousands of complaints online about that.

For example I called 2 weeks ago because I keep getting letters saying I can bundle my ATT service with Direct TV. Called them up asking if there was any savings to do it. They said I couldn't, because I was a current customer (what I figured), but they could knock $5 off my bill if I liked. Said sure why not, makes up for the newest price increase. 3 days later I get a letter confirming the discount, AND how by taking the discount it extended my contract 12 more months. Not once was that said on the phone. Took 7 phone calls between Direct TV and ATT - because both kept telling me they couldn't do it, and about 2 hours of time to get that reversed.

hrsp
04-01-2010, 11:24 AM
Twc said I can get there 200 package with hd chanels for 58.99 a month with no contract

IcePickFreak
04-01-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd call them about reception issues. Mine hardly ever loses signal, as said above it's only in extremely bad weather and then it's only momentary. However a few years back it got really windy during the winter months and I was having all sorts of issues losing signal. I called out a service guy and he re-aligned the dish and braced it better and it's been just about flawless ever since.

ricksws7
04-01-2010, 09:07 PM
I have had them all and Dish network is the best most HD channels and less than direct tv. Cable is the worst. Rick