PDA

View Full Version : Mowers II: Bagger attachments for leaves.

Russ Jerome
03-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Rider or walk behind?

I've got a yard a little bigger than I care to walk behind mow/bag and the walk behinds all apear to have tiny baggers? I can find cheap enough riders but if there are decent self propelled walk behinds that do an equal job I would rather save the storage space when not in use if that makes sense?

People I have asked who own baggers dont seem to use them that much, I hate raking and have plenty of trees and want a decent lawn.

wrath
03-30-2010, 10:11 AM
My Dad has a giant chipper/shredder that tows behind his Bolens garden tractor. Takes a patch of about 30'x100' with maple leaves to fill it up. The hopper is 2'x2'x4'.

He only collects the initial fall, the rest he mulches with his zero turn Cub. Otherwise the grass gets a bit weak after a few years. He doesn't fertilize or put out weed killer.

Karps TA
03-30-2010, 11:03 AM
I use the bagger on my Toro walk behind quite a bit. It does a great job of picking up the stuff. I only use it when I can't get to cutting the lawn in time and it gets too long - mostly spring, and then in fall I'll try to bag up my leaves as much as I can until just too many of them fall and the mower can't keep up with them. If you have alot of leaves though a walk behind isn't going to be able to get the job done. You'll be emptying it every pass. At that rate might as well rake.

Russ Jerome
03-30-2010, 11:53 AM
Cruising Craigslist I found this badboy, too fancy for me but cool!
http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/1667513771.html

Yah Im looking at ryders more I read online, plenty of decent ones out there on C-list with the old 70's models looking the coolest ;)

xxsn0blindxx
04-18-2010, 10:01 PM
We have .78 acres with 9 leafing trees and raked the first year, that sucked. This last year I ran them over with a mulching mower and it worked great. Plus the mulched leaves add nutrients to the soil.

If you insist on bagging, then yeah don't bother with a push mower. Get a rider with the big bin that hangs on the back.

Prince Valiant
04-18-2010, 10:13 PM
I use the bagger when the grass is either really long...or at the end of the season when leaves are out there (great substitute for raking).

Yooformula
04-18-2010, 10:16 PM
I use the bagger on the push mower when the clippings get too much to sit on the lawn and I want a nice green look but on the ride on, I just use a mulching blade.

lordairgtar
04-18-2010, 11:33 PM
Just pave it over and paint it green. LOL

Russ Jerome
04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I went with a 42" , 16hp, dual generic used dual bagger, thing eats sticks and trwigs too.The MTD bagger setup gets better reveiws than a Deer for not plugging.

Pics after the paint job :)

Gregor
04-25-2010, 05:50 PM
I just mulch all the time I'm just to lazy to empty the bag every time it fills up. But then that might be why my lawn isn't the greatest on the block.