PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Jet Fly By's....

MoCkiN U
03-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Dont think this is a repost although you may have seen some of the individual videos inside this edit but Im sure you might not have seen one or two.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Dr2ZB36p9Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Dr2ZB36p9Y&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

lit666
03-29-2010, 12:14 PM
wow, that is totally amazing.

MoCkiN U
03-29-2010, 12:16 PM
that dude standing on the runway in camis is freakin crazy. Maybe its just the angle of the video but that seemed waaaay too close.

Also the water one at the end at#1, I keep looking but cant tell. At the very beginning of that shot does the jet take out a seagull/pelican or something? Looks the white bird just falls out of the sky

Josepy
03-29-2010, 12:18 PM
That was awesome

BAD LS1
03-29-2010, 12:25 PM
whats so wild about # 1 is the fact that the elevators created enough low pressure to draw water up 10-15 foot up and over them! But wow do you get the sence of how fast them mothers are really moving!

Gregor
03-29-2010, 01:56 PM
3 was the best. I am sure that had to be within 10 feet over his head.

Yooformula
03-29-2010, 02:04 PM
that was insane! the 3rd plane on the 4th vid was crazy low!!

Prince Valiant
03-29-2010, 02:07 PM
dammit...at work. will have to wait until I'm home to see :mad:

Exitspeed
03-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Dammit, that's twice. I want some butts!

No but seriously that is so fuckin awesome.

jimez1
03-29-2010, 03:09 PM
Alot of the fighter vids are cool, but the vid of the huge C-135 at that low level is totally incredible. Amazing how different the aviation rules are accross the big pond, to get away with alot of those fly-by's.

Prince Valiant
03-29-2010, 06:45 PM
whats so wild about # 1 is the fact that the elevators created enough low pressure to draw water up 10-15 foot up and over them! But wow do you get the sence of how fast them mothers are really moving!
Actually in number 1 what you were seeing was the water coming out of solution due to low pressure after the shockwave...it's a phenomenon that occurs when planes break the speed of sound (the waves begin to build up, creating a high pressure ridge, with a low pressure trough on the other side....we commonly call it a "sonic boom"):

http://www.defense.gov/news/Mar2000/9907162a.jpg

Alot of the fighter vids are cool, but the vid of the huge C-135 at that low level is totally incredible. Amazing how different the aviation rules are accross the big pond, to get away with alot of those fly-by's.
Actually, many types of flybys like that will occur here too...not that it's per regulation anywhere, lol (since many countries mirror of our basic regultaions). A lot of things that are considered against regulations though can be okayed simply by asking permission.

I wish I could find it...there is a vid of a B52 doing a flyby for a camera...he flew so low, it scared the tar out of the photographer...the vids later showed the pilot cleared the ridge by only some 6 feet :wow

here's an account of it:
On March 10, 1994, Holland commanded a single-aircraft training mission to the Yakima Bombing Range to provide an authorized photographer an opportunity to document the aircraft as it dropped training munitions. The minimum aircraft altitude permitted for that area was 500 feet (150 m) AGL. During the mission, Holland's aircraft was filmed crossing one ridgeline about 30 feet (10 m) above the ground. Fearing for their safety, the photography crew ceased filming and took cover as Holland's aircraft again passed low over the ground, this time estimated as clearing the ridgeline by only three feet (1 m). The co-pilot on Holland's aircraft testified that he grabbed the controls to prevent Holland from flying the aircraft into the ridge while the aircraft's other two aircrew members repeatedly screamed at Holland, "Climb! Climb!" Holland responded by laughing and calling one of the crew members "a pussy".[2]

This would be the pilot responsible for the fairchild AFB crash:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReSm7r45_ds&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ReSm7r45_ds&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

The pilot did this while some 3 guys on their crew were on their last flight...so their families were there to watch/congratulate them on good careers. :(

Prince Valiant
03-29-2010, 07:53 PM
Oh, some footage...but not all of the Bud Holland (the pilot in the B-52 crash above) low fly by:

http://www.alexisparkinn.com/photogallery/Videos/B52%20bomber%202.wmv

CATNHAT
03-29-2010, 08:58 PM
I saw a documentary a few years ago on discovery or ??? on this particular pilot. he was a loose canon and there was a lot more footage of some of the things he did. This end was exactly what his peers had predicted. It is a travesty that the other officers onboard had to die because of this reckless pilot.

Reverend Cooper
03-29-2010, 09:06 PM
that was really cool

BAD LS1
03-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Actually in number 1 what you were seeing was the water coming out of solution due to low pressure after the shockwave...it's a phenomenon that occurs when planes break the speed of sound (the waves begin to build up, creating a high pressure ridge, with a low pressure trough on the other side....we commonly call it a "sonic boom"):

http://www.defense.gov/news/Mar2000/9907162a.jpg

That plane was no where near super sonic, my explanation still has merit i feel, seeing as it was sucking water straight up from the water source below it. Looking at it closely, it appears that water is being drawn up into the huge low pressure area above the rear elevators which are closest to the water and then obviously its being atomized with how fast the plane is going, but that thing is going no faster than 450-500 knots.

Prince Valiant
03-30-2010, 08:57 AM
That plane was no where near super sonic, my explanation still has merit i feel, seeing as it was sucking water straight up from the water source below it. Looking at it closely, it appears that water is being drawn up into the huge low pressure area above the rear elevators which are closest to the water and then obviously its being atomized with how fast the plane is going, but that thing is going no faster than 450-500 knots.Well, I'd probably give the plane a little more speed then that...but even then, in this case, the plane doesn't have to go supersonic to create the effect.

Why do you see the cone of water while it's near the surface of the water? Because the humidity was so high near that surface...as the humidity raises, the speed that the plane has to go at to create that effect goes down since the air will be more saturated near the surface and it won't take as large a drop in pressure to get it to precipitate.

Here's another pic with an explanation from the photographer who took the shot:

http://wilk4.com/misc/b2_ocean_small.jpg

"As for how I got the shot. I was in a chase F-16 being flown by Maj "Bernie" Cassidy. Between test points we would try to capture the condensation on still film. The camera I was using was a Hasselblad with a power winder (equates to about 1 frame per second) and the vapors only happen briefly and sporadically. As you can imagine, there was a little "spaz action" going on, trying not to take any unnecessary photos that would cause the power winder to be busy when I needed to be actually shooting.

We were fairly low in altitude when the shot was taken, and heading home from the mission.

There is enough moisture over the ocean to actually cause that phenomon to happen at various speeds, not just supersonic. That is why people on the navy carriers can get that shot more often than most land-based aircraft photographers."

Understand, B2 bombers aren't supersonic airplanes.

As another photographer explains it too:
"Here are some fascinating (for some people anyway) photos and videos of interesting condensation clouds that form around jets as they fly at or near the speed of sound, (often called "going through the sound barrier" or "accelerating past the speed of sound"). Under the right conditions, and even at lower speeds, they sometimes cause a vapor cone effect.

Understand that these Prandtl-Glauert condensation clouds can also occur at lower speeds, and are not really a visible manifestation of some kind of a sound barrier being broken."

BAD LS1
03-30-2010, 09:03 AM
Ok maybe i was over thinking it then since i didnt understand what was actually taking place fully. One would think the air moving over the wings and around the plane would be speed up near the supersonic even without the plane its self going that fast. What a neat phenomenon though! So if im understanding this right, with enough speed it can actually shread the vapor moisture right out of the air and turn it to condensation? So one could say they can see this on a regular occurance with commercial jets, as sometimes you get the streamers off the winglets that reduce the wing tip vortecies or wingtips in general on humid days as that airflow is going fast enough to make this happen.

FoxStang
03-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Well, I'd probably give the plane a little more speed then that...but even then, in this case, the plane doesn't have to go supersonic to create the effect.

Why do you see the cone of water while it's near the surface of the water? Because the humidity was so high near that surface...as the humidity raises, the speed that the plane has to go at to create that effect goes down since the air will be more saturated near the surface and it won't take as large a drop in pressure to get it to precipitate.

In essence your causing the air around it to hit dew point, adiabatic process if my memory from my meteorology class serves me right.

BAD LS1
03-30-2010, 02:41 PM
In essence your causing the air around it to hit dew point, adiabatic process if my memory from my meteorology class serves me right.

Bingo!!! This explains it for me!

"An adiabatic process is one in which a gas changes temperature without heat being added or taken away from the gas. Heating and cooling depend only on what's going on within the gas. A gas warms when its pressure is increased and cools when the pressure is decreased. Adiabatic heating and cooling are important in meteorology because air cools when it rises at a rate of 5.5 degrees Fahrenheit 1000 feet of altitude gained, as long as water vapor in the air isn't condensing or sublimating into ice. When air descends it warms at this same rate."

FoxStang
03-30-2010, 03:19 PM
Bingo!!! This explains it for me!

"An adiabatic process is one in which a gas changes temperature without heat being added or taken away from the gas. Heating and cooling depend only on what's going on within the gas. A gas warms when its pressure is increased and cools when the pressure is decreased. Adiabatic heating and cooling are important in meteorology because air cools when it rises at a rate of 5.5 degrees Fahrenheit 1000 feet of altitude gained, as long as water vapor in the air isn't condensing or sublimating into ice. When air descends it warms at this same rate."

Only fun part of doing the adiabatic lapse rate was drawing little clouds to go with it, but apparently I remembered some of it, gotta love core classes.

jimez1
03-30-2010, 06:33 PM
Doing fly-bys and airshow stunts like some of them shown are more regulated in this country than others. To do a flyby in this country you are not allowed to make your pass over the crowd of spectators. You must offset the aircraft from the crowd. (usually over the runway) Also for military aircraft which most of them were, You are not allowed to do a pass and review flyby at less than 200ft AGL. I beleive commercial rated heavies are 500ft. Except for the Demonstration teams like the Blue Angles and Thunderbirds. Most of the aircraft in those clips were foriegn nationals. Using F-16 and Jaguar aircraft. The Harriers that you saw were also the foriegn national version. The clip that Prince Viliant has with the B-52, was against all regulatios that the Air Force has in place and if that pilot had actually landed that aircraft and cirtain people saw that vid he would be out of a job.