PDA

View Full Version : diff fluid for the T/A

lilws6
03-26-2010, 10:06 AM
since i need to change / check it anyway what fliud should i pick up i know i need some kind of limited slip stuff as well. i just don't know what weight and brand i should get???

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 10:09 AM
Cheapest 80W90 you can find, takes 1-3/4 quarts to fill roughly. No friction modifier is needed, its a Torsen carrier with no clutches. Your whine will only get worse by the way, put a 18$ solid crush sleeve in it and a new seal if you want that 10 bolt to last at least a little while longer.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-26-2010, 10:57 AM
Cheapest 80W90 you can find, takes 1-3/4 quarts to fill roughly. No friction modifier is needed, its a Torsen carrier with no clutches. Your whine will only get worse by the way, put a 18$ solid crush sleeve in it and a new seal if you want that 10 bolt to last at least a little while longer.

Mine whines but i think it's cause of the 4:10's

Beagle
03-26-2010, 11:06 AM
mine whined becuase of the pinion bearing going out. Might want to check Ben lol.

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Mine whines but i think it's cause of the 4:10's

10 bolt with aftermarket gears, slight whine is gonna happen. GM Gears, better chance of silence, however $$$. This is why i put a solid crush sleeve in yours.

Pinion bearing failure is brought on by the crush sleeve "crushing" with healthy doses of torque through the tiny pinion and looses bearing preload then the pinon chucks and alters the gear mesh and creates a whine. The external indicator this happened is the pinion seal leaks in most cases.

You should have seen joes car, the pinion fell out of the rear end when the yoke came off and i could pull the big bearing off by turning the pinion upside down lol and the shim was ground to a pulp and shit out and was stuck to the magnet. Best 10 bolt to ever roam the roads right there!

lilws6
03-26-2010, 11:19 AM
is the crush sleeve something i can do in my driveway? i know how to do a pinion seal... sorta but i do want this thing to last maybe til winter if i possibly can. so no friction stuff ok that makes it easier. any help is apreciated i gata do lower control arms on the gf's car today so figure might as well work on my turd too :)

lilws6
03-26-2010, 11:21 AM
i heard all about joes 10bolt god thats just insane when i get the funds for my moser i wana see just hom much more this 10 bolt can handle. gana need a trailer ready thats for shure

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 11:22 AM
is the crush sleeve something i can do in my driveway? i know how to do a pinion seal... sorta but i do want this thing to last maybe til winter if i possibly can. so no friction stuff ok that makes it easier. any help is apreciated i gata do lower control arms on the gf's car today so figure might as well work on my turd too :)

If you gutted rear ends before for rebuilds, then yes.

lilws6
03-26-2010, 11:25 AM
hmm... then thats a no would i be able figure it all out? i'm pretty good with a wrench and sorts any special tools i would need?

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 11:27 AM
hmm... then thats a no would i be able figure it all out? i'm pretty good with a wrench and sorts any special tools i would need?

Well there should be no need to change shims. So a inch/lb beam-style torque wrench for checking the rotation force after to make sure preload is right would be about it.

lilws6
03-26-2010, 11:31 AM
how many inch pounds? i have one just don't remember what the torque starts at. i'm gana need to find a how to do do this cuz i could get it apart i'm shure its getting it back together rigth where i'm shure i'de need help being the first time

lilws6
03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
And i'm shure tom you have better things to do than walk me thru it :goof

Josepy
03-26-2010, 11:47 AM
Yeah i had the best 10 bolt ever. It now lives in a s-10

Beagle
03-26-2010, 11:52 AM

Mine has been through a shit ton of races over 4 years and a bunch of nitrous passes at the track with dr's. :headbang

WickedSix
03-26-2010, 11:57 AM
joe and those damn reverse to third at skeeters :rolf

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 11:58 AM
joe and those damn reverse to third at skeeters :rolf

Oh there has been some higher gears grabbed on the reverse drops before:wooo

lilws6
03-26-2010, 12:00 PM
i just wana know how the clutch hold that^^^

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 12:05 PM
You will need this kit. Typically 2 of the thicker shims and one thin (3 total with shims contacting the forward bearing) will get you right on the money.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=rat-4111&dds=1

10-15 (used bearings) 20-25 (new bearings) inch pounds

lilws6
03-26-2010, 12:09 PM
this sound about right? happened across it on ls1tech been searching doesnt' seem too hard accept the 300 ft lb thing
Technically to do it right the differential should come out of the housing so you can set the drag on the pinion bearings. There is NOT a torque spec on that nut, you tighten it till you get I believe 15-25in.lbs of drag on the pinion with used bearings. Takes a HUGE amount of force to do this with a new crush sleeve like 250-300ft.lbs.

lilws6
03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
So i'll order that kit from summit. what else i need again the pinion seal and a crush sleeve should be able to get those at work?(carquest) and cheap 80w90 gear lube? that list sound about right? oh you happen to know the size of the nut on the inside?

lilws6
03-26-2010, 12:27 PM
You should have seen joes car, the pinion fell out of the rear end when the yoke came off and i could pull the big bearing off by turning the pinion upside down lol and the shim was ground to a pulp and shit out and was stuck to the magnet. Best 10 bolt to ever roam the roads right there!

i really hope mine doens't look like this when i pull it apart just for the fact i would like to drive it yet this year. unlike last year i put like 600 miles on it

Beagle
03-26-2010, 12:31 PM
Somehow the diff pin was bent in my 10 bolt before the one thats in it now.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-26-2010, 12:49 PM

The DS is still holding up.

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 01:45 PM
So i'll order that kit from summit. what else i need again the pinion seal and a crush sleeve should be able to get those at work?(carquest) and cheap 80w90 gear lube? that list sound about right? oh you happen to know the size of the nut on the inside?

Your scaring me already!:goof You dont need a crush sleeve. That kit replaces the crush sleeve. The factory type sleeves are a fucking cock sucker to get there is an understatment.ive had to use a pipe wrench on the yoke and 3 foot breaker bar before to get them to seat. 1-1/4" nut

lilws6
03-26-2010, 05:37 PM
damn thats what i thought. too late i already bought a crush sleeve lol guess i can return them. came in a two pack. and just order the shim kit. got the pinion seal and cover gasket and carquest 80w90 :) wen the kit comes i'll be cussing up a storm in my garage