PDA

View Full Version : laptop Help

modmachz
03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop that is 2 years old, and It will not recognize any cd or dvd when I put it in the machine. I tried loading a installaltion disc for my printer and it wont show anything anywhere that there is a disc in it.. All my others when you placed a disc in the machine it would automatically come up on the screen.. Could I have removed a program for this?? can anybody help me out for a 6 pack!!
Donny...
414-852-3534

BR3W CITY
03-26-2010, 10:27 AM
When you go to "my computer" with a disc in the drive, does it show anything? (ie the drive will show D:\NAMEOFDISC or does it not even recognize any disc was inserted?

If it does not recognize anything at all, go to Control Panel->System and look at that drive. Try an Update Drivers or Rollback drivers. If it does not improve, its possible its a hardware issue not a software issue.

Use a lil of the canned duster stuff to blow out the drive, in case dust or crap has accumulated on the laser lens. If you STILL don't have any improvement, you may want to contact toshiba (or somewhere like tiger direct or newegg) and get a replacement drive.

BoosTT
03-26-2010, 10:47 AM
also pull out the drive from the laptop and clean the contact points inside the laptop. Takes 30 secconds.

wikked
03-26-2010, 12:33 PM
Or your drive has just taken a shit and you need a new one.
Check your list of drives in My Computer to see if the drive itself even shows up.

Waver
03-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I have encountered this problem on occasion with my Toshiba. If you leave the computer on for extended amounts of time (like more than 12-24 hours) it will do what you say yours is doing. Just restart it and all should be fine.

xxsn0blindxx
03-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Best way to test is to see if you can boot from a CD. Make sure your boot order is set to boot from CD before hard drive and put a recovery disk or Windows disk in. If it recognizes the disk and boots thenyou have a windows problem. If it won't recognize the disk you have a hardware problem, most likely the drive, but possibly the drive controller.

modmachz
03-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Figured it out.. Through windows updates it somehow turned on the hi and low filters that would not enable the drive.. went in and turned them off and restarted the computer and works great..

Thanks for the replies..
Donny...

xxsn0blindxx
03-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Glad to hear you got it working, but what high and low filters are you talking about?

modmachz
03-27-2010, 08:04 AM
Glad to hear you got it working, but what high and low filters are you talking about?

Well I called toshiba and they got me in a place where there was a list of shit and had to see what was turned on and what wasn't. and they said that through windows updates that these filters can be turned on and that they should be off for the dvd drive to work. so I did just that and re started it and it works fine.. sorry if I cannot describe the process on how this was done, If this was a engine I could make your head spin with explanations..

Donny...

FoxStang
03-28-2010, 02:53 AM
He's talking about editing the attributes through the registry editor I believe.

modmachz
03-28-2010, 08:57 AM
He's talking about editing the attributes through the registry editor I believe.

That is it...