PDA

View Full Version : Best food joints in SE Wisconsin

jbiscuit
03-25-2010, 06:41 PM
Let's hear them

Fratellis on Lincoln ave: awesome Italian beef

Big Al's Cafe on National ave: awesome breakfasts. Reasonable lil diner atmosphere

Prince Valiant
03-25-2010, 07:23 PM
The Philly Way for philly cheesesteaks, 2nd and Florida.

Sobleman's 1900 W St. Paul ave (down in the menomonee valley)

pOrk
03-25-2010, 07:27 PM
REPOST

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30734&highlight=restaurants

84hurst
03-25-2010, 07:31 PM
Sobleman's 1900 W St. Paul ave (down in the menomonee valley)

Their burgers are awesome! :drool:

Ricardos in the Greendale Village has really good pizza.

scottie K
03-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Caldarone club on 3rd kilbourn

Car Guy
03-25-2010, 07:38 PM
REPOST

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30734&highlight=restaurants

:wstupid

jbiscuit
03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Figured we could start another thread to add new spots...

Anyone know of any good diners? Seem to be lacking some good diners in our are also

hrsp
03-25-2010, 09:37 PM
mcdonalds...duh...lol

Russ Jerome
03-25-2010, 09:47 PM
http://hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/taco-truck.JPG

There are better ones around town but I cant pass up one of these^^^
For stationary authentic Mexi I love:

http://www.loscomales.com/
Authentic, not made for gringos, no habla engles so point at the pictures if you skipped 8th grade spanish.

1320PNY
03-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Capitol Cafe. Butler Cafe. Both good diners in area.

Pistol Pete's on Tuesday has awesome soup and if you get the Sicilian Style Steak Sandwich, you will go back.

We love Cafe Hollander (now on 76th and State as well). Get a "Frenchie" and some "Frittes" with Basil Aioli.

Of course, steaks at Packing House or Butller Inn in Pewaukee are awesome.

Oakland Gyros is still great drunk food, along with Jaliscos.

GRAMPS SS
03-25-2010, 10:38 PM
x2 Butler Cafe....great breakfest and lunch.....

VroomPshhTsi
03-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Fazoli's

jbiscuit
03-26-2010, 06:53 AM
Looking to support local restaurant owners as much as possible. Local joints with enthusiasm to cook a great meal. Fazolis doesn't qualify

TheRX7Project
03-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Saraphino's.... their lasagna is worth dying for. Not the "Saraphino's II" on 92nd and Oklahoma but the original one on Pennsylvania and Layton. Saraphino's II is always soggy and not as good.

They have a damn good steak sammich too...

Neal Steffek
03-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Best burgers in Milwaukee = AJ Bombers.
over rated = Soblemans.

Besy Gyros = Golden Gyros on Lincoln ave in West Allis.

Best Pizza = Brick 3 on Old World 3rd next to Suite.
I am still looking for a good deep dish pizza that is close.

Best place to take a date = Swig.

Best place with a view = Fridays front row at miller park.

Best place for fish fry = that place on Oklahoma ave that everyone goes to.

Best wings = Magoos.

TheRX7Project
03-26-2010, 07:25 AM
I hate to say it but the best wings I've ever had are KFC's hot wings.

PB86MCSS
03-26-2010, 07:28 AM

Besy Gyros = Golden Gyros on Lincoln ave in West Allis....

....Best wings = Magoos.

Golden Gyro's has some really good "greek" fries.

Magoo's wings are up there, I like Club Garibaldi's wings in Bay View too.

Rocket Power
03-26-2010, 07:36 AM
I love the pizza from Paulie's on like 81st-ish and greenfield

BR3W CITY
03-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Stack'd off of 1st does some really good burgers and has an ice beer selection.
County Clare - Irish favorites, sheppards pie is massive.

JC70SS
03-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Pizza-Zaffiro's
italian-Il Mito and That's Amore
Mexican-Botanas
Gyros-Oakland Gyros
Thai- EE Sane farwell Ave
Indian-Taj Majal

Of couse I support Oscars and Gilles

jbiscuit
03-26-2010, 08:26 AM
Magoos for wings hands down. I can't tell you the last time I have been to BW3's with Magoos just slaughtering them wing-wise. I still dig Filippos Pizza on Lincoln Ave in West Allis also. Awesome crust, always hot and good. Lots of cheese, excellent sauce.

Gille's sundae's kick serious ass. The 'Those Things' are good too if you let them thaw a bit. I hope to get some outtings going again to Gilles this summer. Always good times over there.

95 TA - The Beast
03-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Fratelli's, West Allis - Best Italian beef, hands down, as mentioned (also great cheesesteaks, chicago dogs, devil dogs, etc)

Golden Gyro, West Allis - Best Gyro (good greek fries as well)

Brick3, Downtown - AWESOME pizza... None better in Milwaukee

Tandoor, West Allis - Great Indian (the chicken tikka masala hot is the bomb!)

And for BBQ, well, there isn't any really... So I do up my own! (This weekend I am doing up 18 racks of baby backs for the UFC 111 fights... WOOT!) ;)

jbiscuit
03-26-2010, 08:31 AM
Anyone ever been to Speed Queen BBQ?

Neal Steffek
03-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Anyone ever been to Speed Queen BBQ?

Yes, very good. Also, Smoke Shack is to open this summer for BBQ.
http://onmilwaukee.com/dining/articles/smokeshack.html

Prince Valiant
03-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Anyone ever been to Speed Queen BBQ?Yes...as close to southern BBQ as I think one can get in the area (famous dave's does an okay facsimile...but it's not the most authentic).

Want to have a "record-scratch-WTF" where the place get's quiet and everyone looks at you? Ask if they've got free refills at Speed Queen :goof
The moment that ended the uncomfortable pause? "Listen to that white boy.....'free refills'!"

(oh, and for the record, the place is pretty expensive...and iirc, soda was like almost 3 bucks!!!)

Love their hot bbq sauce.

Exitspeed
03-26-2010, 09:12 AM
Fratellis on Lincoln ave: awesome Italian beef

Hmmmm, I'm gonna have to try this place.

For Wings - Magoo's and Bougey's on Greenfield Ave in Brookfield

Asian - China Inn Hales Corners, China Hut (yes it sounds crappy but it rocks) in Milwaukee on 51st and Howard, Ching Mai Tai in Brookfield for Tai

Damn I miss Taco City on 27th street.

animal
03-26-2010, 09:23 AM
I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree on golden gyros. The one time i went there I noticed the cucumber sauce was sour cream based rather than yogurt based like it should be. Merely on the sauce I can't call it the best because I usually drown my gyro meat in sauce let alone i felt the gyros themselves were forgettable in size and taste. Oakland fo sho... large, good, and a whole bottle of nice yogurt based sauce to go with it. :)

I like Sammy's on 107th & greenfield for hot dogs :)

Exitspeed
03-26-2010, 09:32 AM
Damn. I can't get to Fratellis for lunch on my lunch brake from where I work. Arrrrgh.

British_Ben
03-26-2010, 09:34 AM
It's definitely between Oakland Gyros and Golden Gyros for the gyros, but I'm more of a chicken shishkabob guy myself. Oakland's pepper chicken platter has got to be the best in town.

I've always thought that the food at Open Flame on HWY 100 and Edgerton is really good and very reasonable with good service and a nice atmosphere for lunch/dinner.

For Thai food, Bangkok house on Layton and Pensylvania is really good, Mai Thai on Brady is also quite good, but sometimes hit or miss.

For Indian food, Taj Mahal on HWY 100, by the george webbs in Hales Corners is very good.

70challenger452
03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Anyone from waukesha can attest to how awesome panzarattas(sp?) are at Jimmy's Grotto

TheRX7Project
03-26-2010, 09:51 AM
Anyone from waukesha can attest to how greasy panzarattas(sp?) are at Jimmy's Grotto

I fixed it. Tasty... but you gotta bite the end and drain it first.

jbiscuit
03-26-2010, 11:20 AM
^ Yes. Must always drain the grease out first. My stomach will hurt for 3 days after eating a Ponza from Jimmy's

juicedimpss
03-26-2010, 11:23 AM
was this supposed to be a random friday thread?

jbiscuit
03-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Random Thursday Afternoon :rolf

Flicktitty
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM
as far as sandwiches go i haven't found anything better then the Chocolate factory sooo good.

burgers - Sobelmans is pretty god damn good, my friend told me about a place by bayshore that's only open during the day that's really good?

chinese - i LOVE PF changs. so there for i'd vote that, i'm kind of leary to try new Chinese/Japanese places.

Doc Brown
03-26-2010, 08:59 PM
I hate to say it but the best wings I've ever had are KFC's hot wings.fail.

bw3 boneless Thursdays FTW

HITMAN
03-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Burgers - Mazo's on 27th near Oklahoma
Italian - Carini's La Conca D' Oro
Pizza - Used to be a big fan of Anne's in HC but they've slipped. DeStephano's on Beloit is still good, as is the ever awesome Ned's. Lot's of good pizza in and around the Milwaukee area... If you're willing to travel, Lou Malnotti's in Buffalo Grove, Il. is some fucking great pie.
Greek - Oakland Gyros
Chinese - Emperor's Kitchen in Waukesha
Thai - I still like the King and I
Mexican - I'm a big fan of Botana's
Sea Food? I haven't found anything around here that comes close to what you can get on the coasts, but the seafood pastas at Carini's are very good. Otherwise, I just go to Red Lobster for the way overpriced live Maine lobster (can't really fuck up something you just boil) if I'm not in a mood to go to Sendiks for some to cook at Sorano's La Fatta Bastardo.

TheRX7Project
03-27-2010, 07:53 AM
fail.

bw3 boneless Thursdays FTW

I like sauceless. BW3's are wet.

+1 on Mazo's burgers ^^ their baked beans are good too

Dasred
03-27-2010, 08:21 AM
my friend told me about a place by bayshore that's only open during the day that's really good?

Probably talking about Solly's, It's just looks like a house and they took the living room and put a diner kitchen in it.
It's pretty good if you like butter burgers, like a half stick of butter per burger and they're only standard size patties and buns. Tasty though!

And I gotta give points to Jimmy's Grotto, ownership is in the family.

I love wings from Grainger's on Loomis. I like sauceless crunchy type wings. The Spicy garlic are all I've had, and a couple times they've over-seasoned them, but they've never been bad.

Bangkok House off of Layton - Great Thai, weird hours sometimes, but good lunch buffet if you can make it.
Taj Mahal on Hwy 100 - Great Buffet as well, haven't gone wrong ordering off the menu either.

supra213
03-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Want to have a "record-scratch-WTF" where the place get's quiet and everyone looks at you? Ask if they've got free refills at Speed Queen :goof
The moment that ended the uncomfortable pause? "Listen to that white boy.....'free refills'!"

You actually went to Speed Queen and didn't use "The Honky Window". LOL
+1 to you sir :thumbsup

Jalapeno Loco has fantastic mexican food and margaritas. They also have a mariachi band play one night during the week.

03CVLX
03-28-2010, 07:27 PM
Ricardos in the Greendale Village has really good pizza.

On a side note to this. Riverfront Pizza in the 3rd ward area 509 E. Erie street is also owned by Ricardos. It's the exact same pizza in case your looking for a chage of scenery.

EvolvedRegal
03-29-2010, 09:57 PM
Caldarone club on 3rd kilbourn

I wonder if Fat Tony still owns that joint. I remember going in there when my dad walked the beat down there for years. Since he retired a few years back I haven't been in there.

PureSound15
03-29-2010, 10:03 PM
In every good food thread I will continue to say...

Capri on Beloit for lasagna thats AMAZING! 80ishsomething and beloit. It's a dump, but the food is just awesome.

Al
03-29-2010, 11:30 PM
Leonardo's in Mequon. Simple, good pizza.

Don't forget Tomaso's in Cedarburg and Milwaukee.

03CVLX
03-29-2010, 11:45 PM

Wait.... there is a Tomaso's in Milwaukee????? WHERE!!! thats one of my favorite pizza joints.

MurphysLaw88GT
03-30-2010, 09:33 AM
John's Root Beer for root beer.

OxmanWI
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
My fav's:

Gyros: Oakland Gyros - East side of Milwaukee
Italian: Maggiano’s - Mayfair Mall
American: Water Buffalo - Old 3rd Ward
Brazilian: Sabor Brazilian Churrascaria - Downtown, Water Street
American Wings: Brothers Bar & Grill (Wednesday Wings) - Downtown, Water Street
American Burgers: Stack'd Burger Bar‎ - Old 3rd Ward

Exitspeed
03-30-2010, 10:50 AM
American Wings: Brothers Bar & Grill (Wednesday Wings) - Downtown, Water Street

Been meaning to get to this place for wings.

1320PNY
03-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Went to Fratelli's on a recomendation from here. Best Chicago dogs in WI. Beef was good, but peppers were slightly over seasoned with some type of salt mix.

OxmanWI
03-30-2010, 08:51 PM
Been meaning to get to this place for wings.

I forgot to ad, you have to have a student or military ID to get wings. Gay I know. :(

hotrod96z28
03-30-2010, 09:14 PM
Lee's Deli on washington ave. in racine. Best deli sandwichs

Z You L8r
03-30-2010, 10:36 PM
For you southsiders, Moondance Cafe on S 27th and Rawson Ave, in front of Lowes, is very good and is very reasonably priced. It is also locally owned and not a chain, support the small business owners. They have fantastic sandwiches, paninis, pizza, gelato, and coffee.

RanJer
03-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I forgot to ad, you have to have a student or military ID to get wings. Gay I know. :(

Does everyone in your 'party' have to have one of the above? or just one person?

twicks69
03-30-2010, 10:50 PM
EDIT:

Well, I have a few ones on the list that aren't SE WI, but they are close enough that if you are in the area, you should eat there!

Italian -
Mama Mia's - 85th and Greenfield. Excellent Lasanga w/ mushrooms.
Mia's - Hwy 18 and Hwy 83 in Wales. Killer garlic bread, tortelloni w/ mushrooms, chicken parm, eggplant parm, and Lasagna.
Capri - 84th and Beloit. Super greasy yummy garlic bread, excellent italian sausage and Lasagna.
That's Amore - Hwy 100 just south of Hwy 43 overpass on East side of street. Great menu overall.

Pizza -
Tomaso's in Cedarburg on Washington Ave
Marty's - great thin-crust huge pizzas.
Barbiere's - 56th? & Hawley? by Kelly's Bleachers. Old-school thin-crust pizzas.
Delafield Brewhaus - Excellent thin-crust pizza!
Domino's - Currently the best cheap take-out of the bunch with excellent thin-crust, regular and deep-dish pizzas at cheap prices. They definitely changed for the better!

Burgers -
AJ Bomber's - on Water Street in Milwaukee
B-52 Restaraunt - on Appleton Ave in Menomonee Falls.
Big Guy's - on Grandview and Summit in Waukesha - HUGE burgers.

Chinese/Thai -
Taste of Thai - College Ave in Appleton. Killer Volcano Chicken/Shrimp!
King and I - Downtown Milwaukee. Great menu, excellent dishes, w/ great atmosphere.

American -
Good Company - Richmond and College ave in Appleton. Excellent shakes, great menu with good sandwiches and fun atmosphere.
Norm's Speedway Diner - in Portage, WI near the power plant on Hwy 51? HUGE PORTIONS, CHEAP PRICES! 5+ egg omlettes w/ 1/2# hashbrowns, bacon and toast for like $4.00! Huge hand-ground burgers, excellent fish fry, the BEST everything omlette and mexican omlette for the money! Both of them are easily 3 meals for any normal person!
Located at:
N 6220 Us Highway 51,
Portage, WI

Fish Fry -
Pistol Pete's - Lisbon road between Pilgrim and Calhoun in Brookfield. Great portions, great fish, excellent clam chowder and french onion soup!
Serb Hall - No brainer. Great food, all-you-can-eat, great price!

Mexican -
La Cocina De Mama Nena - Just West of 35th and Damen on North side of street, Chicago, IL. AWESOME 2# steak burritos w/ all the toppings for $3.25! I literally ate here 4 days a week for a year! The food is literally a crack addiction! Every day I was not there, I thought about a steak burrito from Mama Nina's! If you are ever on South-Side Chicago, lock your doors, find a non-metered parking spot, and eat here! Located at: 2022 W 35th St, Chicago, IL.

Conejito's - 6th street north of National ave, Milwaukee. Cheap, greasy, yummy! Paper plates, great steak tacos!
Fiesta Garibaldi - Downtown Waukesha near Taco John's and Domino's Pizza. Great chorizo tacos!
Jalisco's - Any location - Cedarburg or Milwaukee - Still have excellent burritos!

Damn, now I am hungry.....

Flicktitty
03-30-2010, 11:37 PM
AJ Bomber's on Appleton ave in Menomonee Falls

where in the Falls is it? i've wanted to go, but i never find the ambition to go all the way down to Water st.

twicks69
03-30-2010, 11:38 PM
OOps....AJ Bomber's is at:
1241 N Water Street
Milwaukee

I am thinking of the "B-52 Restaraunt"
B52 Restaurant
N79W14701 Appleton Ave, Menomonee Falls

Flicktitty
03-30-2010, 11:42 PM
OOps....AJ Bomber's is at:
1241 N Water Street
Milwaukee

I am thinking of the "B-52 Restaraunt"
B52 Restaurant
N79W14701 Appleton Ave, Menomonee Falls

:goof lol. thanks i keep hearing of that place and every time i look at the menu the more i want it.

Red97GTP
03-30-2010, 11:45 PM
If anyone here likes BBQ, I have a friend that is in the process of opening a take out restaurant on 92nd and Oklahoma. He specializes in BBQ but also does hams, pork loins, coleslaw, baked beans and lots of other stuff. He will do bigger orders if he has enough advance notice. His BBQ briskit and BBQ pork is awesome!! if anyone wants to order post on here and I'll give you his cell number.

The restaurant will be in the same building as George webbs between Oklahoma and Beloit on 92nd street.

lordairgtar
03-30-2010, 11:47 PM
EDIT:

Norm's Speedway Diner - in Portage, WI near the power plant on Hwy 51? HUGE PORTIONS, CHEAP PRICES! 5+ egg omlettes w/ 1/2# hashbrowns, bacon and toast for like $4.00! Huge hand-ground burgers, excellent fish fry, the BEST everything omlette and mexican omlette for the money! Both of them are easily 3 meals for any normal person!

Been there. Good stuff. Also try Fisherman's Luck near the dells. It's a bar with a great view of the River and you can fish or rent cheesy campers there. Food isn't bad.

OxmanWI
03-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Does everyone in your 'party' have to have one of the above? or just one person?

I always get 40, for me and my buddy, they never ask.

Every wednesday .10 wings and $1 beers

I love it

jbiscuit
03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
If anyone here likes BBQ, I have a friend that is in the process of opening a take out restaurant on 92nd and Oklahoma. He specializes in BBQ but also does hams, pork loins, coleslaw, baked beans and lots of other stuff. He will do bigger orders if he has enough advance notice. His BBQ briskit and BBQ pork is awesome!! if anyone wants to order post on here and I'll give you his cell number.

The restaurant will be in the same building as George webbs between Oklahoma and Beloit on 92nd street.

this is great news! Hope he does well. Let us know once its open :headbang

Prince Valiant
03-31-2010, 08:16 AM

The restaurant will be in the same building as George webbs between Oklahoma and Beloit on 92nd street.if he's taking orders, send me a number...I'll give it a shot. :thumbsup

Exitspeed
03-31-2010, 08:59 AM

When is this place opening!? I'm so there!

Red97GTP
03-31-2010, 11:28 AM
I believe they are opening in may. I will get his info later today.

Exitspeed
03-31-2010, 11:42 AM
Yes please do. I've been hopin for a new BBQ place. I really liked Q that was on National. Too bad they didn't last.

Korndogg
03-31-2010, 11:57 AM
thats awesome! I live a couple blocks down 92nd. I have been looking for a decent BBQ spot around here.

jbiscuit
03-31-2010, 01:33 PM
thats awesome! I live a couple blocks down 92nd. I have been looking for a decent BBQ spot around here.

you live dangerously close to West Allis. Do you have to take a degreaser shower nightly? :rolf

Korndogg
03-31-2010, 06:10 PM
indeed i do. I just feel so dirty all the time when the wind comes from the north.

Red97GTP
03-31-2010, 09:31 PM
For those interested in the BBQ, his name is Santo Caputa. His cell number is 262-206-0137. He currently makes all of his stuff at his house and I'm not too sure if he's willing to do retail stuff yet but it's at least worth calling. Tell him Brian Selin sent you.:thumbsup

PB86MCSS
03-31-2010, 10:26 PM

I just had Tomaso's pizza a month ago or so, very very good...didn't think there was one in Milwaukee though, thought just Cedarburg/Mequon area.