PDA

View Full Version : Convicts Cichlids

TheRX7Project
03-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I have some Convicts Cichlids... and they have made more. On one hand this is extremely exciting- I've never had any of my fish (successfully) mate before. On the other hand, now I'm going to have a bunch of these little bastards, too many for my tank.

Now, I'm not usually one to get rid of fish, but I need to get rid of some. Right now I have 4 adults (one is a couple and the other two are both male I believe) I need to part with (I'm keeping the breeding pair) and I also will be giving away the fry once they are big enough.

Notice that these fish are aggressive- and become EXTREMELY aggressive and territorial when they mate. They killed one of my Gold Barbs and injured another, as well as are always charging at my Buenos Aires Tetras, and attack the Plecostamus when he gets too close.

However these fish are very, very hardy and extremely good for beginners. They are not a community fish (aggressive and territoral) but do well as a single pair in an aquarium, or more in a large tank (55g or bigger). Also if you have bigger fish they'll leave them alone (at least until breeding time).

This is what they look like (fully grown)
http://aquariapro.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/convict-cichilids-wiki.jpg

Let me know if you're interested in some of the aforementioned fish, if you want the adults they are available whenever I am (bring your clean water bucket) or if you want some of the babies let me know and I'll give a heads up when they're big enough to go.

Holeshot
03-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Cichlids are awesome fish to raise. Having them breed is even cooler. Watching the babies swim in and out of their parents mouths when threatened is a gas to watch. I miss having my tank up and running.

pOrk
03-25-2010, 05:47 PM
How big are they? I want some for my turtle tank, and these are the only ones aggressive enough to survive ( hopefully ). Would need to be at least 3 inches long

GTSLOW
03-25-2010, 06:25 PM
How big are they? I want some for my turtle tank, and these are the only ones aggressive enough to survive ( hopefully ). Would need to be at least 3 inches long

This ought to be interesting, make sure to post pics.

Yooformula
03-25-2010, 06:38 PM
I'll take some babies whenever. I have a small raising tank before they hit my grown up tank.

GTSLOW
03-25-2010, 08:38 PM
^ Yoo, what size is your main tank? Any pics?

That_Guy
03-25-2010, 08:52 PM
Are these fresh water fish?

Holeshot
03-25-2010, 09:12 PM
Are these fresh water fish?

Yep. While some Chiclids are brackish 90 % are fresh water. While some African Chiclids can be mixed with South American Chiclids its generally not a good idea unless you like to watch em seriously fight.

Yooformula
03-25-2010, 09:28 PM
^ Yoo, what size is your main tank? Any pics?

my tank is no big deal its only a 40 gallon, the other tank is a 15 gal for african frogs and I have a 1 gallon for feeders and babies.

http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/Yooformula/SANY0001.sized.jpg

TheRX7Project
03-25-2010, 10:29 PM
My adults are ~2-1/2 inches. They were babies only 2-3 months ago themselves. I'm really surprised they bred already... let alone at all. I've never had any of my fish breed before.

I'll be sure to hook you guys up. At this point they're too small to even net- I am pretty sure they just hatched either today or yesterday (didn't see them before today). As soon as they're big enough that I can net them, anyone is welcome to them.

Just let me know when you're ready and we can set up a time to pick them up.

EDIT: Also if anyone has a clown loach or assassin snail they'd like to donate, I have a zillion Malaysian Trumpet Snails I'd like to rid myself of in my 20g. Or if you want some for your planted tank let me know.

GTSLOW
03-26-2010, 11:10 AM
If anyone has an overgrowth of live plants let me know. I was getting tons of duckweed from a friend here for a while. But now my stuff is in Milwaukee so that's gone. Friggen turtles go thru the stuff like none other.

TheRX7Project
03-28-2010, 08:02 AM
Oh great... the other adult pair bred too... I'm going to have like a million fish.

GTSLOW
03-28-2010, 09:55 AM
:rolf nice!! Remember I do have a 75 Gallon tank w/ a Rena XP4 f/s :D

TheRX7Project
03-28-2010, 10:04 AM
I live in a studio apartment or I'd probably be looking for a bigger tank. I already managed to get a 20g and a 55g up and running in my tiny space lol...

I plan on getting rid of all but maybe 1 or 2 of the babies, and getting rid of one of the breeding pairs.

I'm also going to lower the temp in the tank so they are less likely to breed.

Yooformula
03-28-2010, 12:08 PM
keep us updated when you want to get rid of some!

TheRX7Project
03-28-2010, 12:34 PM
I was going to get rid the the other pair that has now bred ASAP, now I'm going to wait until the fry are big enough and leave the "nest". As soon as that happens, breeding pair #2 and all the fry are available. I'll make sure everyone stays updated.

TheRX7Project
04-23-2010, 12:04 AM
****UPDATE****

The first "batch" is ready... there's about 10 fish available. Unfortunately the parents are not available as they have laid more eggs and are tending to them. The second "batch" (from the other pair) should be ready in a week or so. They're still a bit small, but there's probably 10 fish in that batch too.

These guys are tiny! No guarantees on sex or health, but they've got their stripes and are the same size mine were when I got them.

Shoot me a PM if you want some. If they don't go in a reasonable amount of time, they'll go to the pet stores.