PDA

View Full Version : First ever pics of the new Explorer

Exitspeed
03-25-2010, 03:48 PM
Link to the rest of the article: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/25/spy-shots-2012-ford-explorer-caught-completely-disrobed/

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/05-2012-ford-explorer-kgp-march.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/01-2012-ford-explorer-kgp-march.jpg

Car Guy
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
Looks too much like the Edge, not impressed.....

michelle
03-25-2010, 04:01 PM
Looks good. I wonder what the size difference will be from current to this. Looks smaller, but might be deceiving in pics though.

Exitspeed
03-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Looks too much like the Edge, not impressed.....

That's probably why I am.

Prince Valiant
03-25-2010, 05:01 PM
To be powered by "ecoboost" 4 bangers in some models.

meh.

Russ Jerome
03-25-2010, 07:30 PM
With everything from Lexus, Saturn, Mazda and Kia "sport x overs" looking identicle to one-another they may as well pool together and just change badges as they leave a single production plant for all. That explorer could be any other chevy trailblazer, Nissan econo crate out there I think ?

Prince Valiant
03-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I think it's because more and more vehicles are necessarily looking alike...why? Aerodynamics.

Little talked about now, but something that will be a big problem in the very near future is the fuel economy mandates. While they were going to be very tough to meet in 2020, well, things have been toughened up by current office holders, and moved up so to speak...so under the new and even tougher standards that will now take effect in 2016, trucks will have to meet a 30mpg CAFE standard. That's not a 30 mpg over an entire fleet of vehicles...but 30mpg on just trucks. Keep in mind that the current CAFE standards aren't that high on cars.

So manufactures do what they can to make do and throw everything they got to get the standards up...and one of the most obvious and easy things they can do is aerodynamics. As we get closer and closer to the most aerodynamic shape possible, well, then more and more vehicles will look more and more similar. Just look at the Prius and Insight as examples...each among the most aerodynamic cars produced, and not coincidentally, they look remarkably similar.

All we'll have to differentiate differing cars is badges, creases, tailights and trim...from afar, they will all look the same.

Russ Jerome
03-25-2010, 08:43 PM
Aerodynamics for sure makes them blend, that and the fact every soccer mom wants a 4x4 looking vehicle they dont need that negates the aero design anyway.

The fuel mandate always makes us mechanics laugh, remember when toilet bowl injected 1.9 Saturns got 40mpg all laden with the same emisions crap of today? AC on, 80mph, two people, lugage and a throttle bodied SOHC giving better milage than a Prius. If #4200 Lincolns with 290hp V-8s can muster 26mpg they sure as hell can get these sport utes milages up plenty higher any time they want :)

BAD LS1
03-25-2010, 10:21 PM
That's probably why I am.

And your impressed by the fusion, which after driving one... they became alot more GM like now, but the Malibu is still the better car there.

Looks like this is going the crossover route, full frame mid sized SUV's are a thing of the past now.

Exitspeed
03-26-2010, 08:58 AM
And your impressed by the fusion, which after driving one... they became alot more GM like now, but the Malibu is still the better car there.

I'm impressed with the Malibu as well. The redesign will up the anti though when it debuts since it's taking cues from the Camaro.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/malibupatent002compareopt.jpg

Looks like this is going the crossover route, full frame mid sized SUV's are a thing of the past now.

Yep. But really, who cares? Seriously how many people that bought an Explore NEW in the last 20 years actually took them off road? I'd be willing to bet the percentage is very very low.

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm impressed with the Malibu as well. The redesign will up the anti though when it debuts since it's taking cues from the Camaro.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2010/03/malibupatent002compareopt.jpg

Yep. But really, who cares? Seriously how many people that bought an Explore NEW in the last 20 years actually took them off road? I'd be willing to bet the percentage is very very low.

I agree, the only real benefit the full frame has to me is heavy towing. I wouldnt be able to tow a 7k lb enclosed with a traverse like i can my TBSS.

Prince Valiant
03-26-2010, 09:37 AM
I agree, the only real benefit the full frame has to me is heavy towing. I wouldnt be able to tow a 7k lb enclosed with a traverse like i can my TBSS.There are some uni-bodied based vehicles with fairly significant tow ratings...current grand cherokee is unibody and rated to tow as much as 7400lbs...

I just don't think the explorer will exceed 5K tow rating much if at all based on the expressed goals of fuel economy....which will probably dictate using lighter duty parts and the smaller engines (a revamped 3.5 v6 and 2.0 "ecoboost" 4 cylinder).

Exitspeed
03-26-2010, 02:06 PM
Yeah the towing capacity is lower. I feel like people that are towing that much are more then likely going to have a pick up truck. Most boats people haul are going to be around 3500 or less. My dads Alumacraft is like 2200 I believe.

BAD LS1
03-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Eh... gone with the full frame segment is the V8 options too... Its a changin' world.