PDA

View Full Version : New OT Rule

VroomPshhTsi
03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
So why doesn't the NFL just adopt the college rules for OT like everyone wants? This new rule they just passed is ONLY for playoff games and ONLY matters when a team kicks a FG ONLY on its first possession in OT. They could have made it simple by just going with college rules.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064

Thoughts?

Yooformula
03-23-2010, 07:34 PM
not everyone wants a change though. "its ok to lose by a touchdown but not a FG?" wtf is that about? I watched a debate on nfl network and alot of players feel that if the defenses have just as much responsibility in winning the game as the offense and making sure both teams touch the ball is like saying the d cant win a game. plenty of teams have had weak offenses but their defenses have won games even in ot losing the toss. Defense should earn their money too. college players, rules, atmosphere and even the playoffs are different so why do we need to adopt their rules? wanna watch a college game? then watch one but the nfl shouldnt have the same rules...hell college still doesnt have a single winner at the end of the year and 9 out of 10 times their rankings suck, clearly they dont have a clue either. I just think they are making a big deal and fixing something that isnt broke just to appease a few whiny qb's namely one that now wears purple simply because he didnt get a chance to touch the ball again at the end of the game. how about holding the d accountable instead?

Karps TA
03-23-2010, 07:43 PM
I like it alot. I hate the whole "playing for a FG" aspect of games. That big play and then run 2 plays up the middle to setup for a FG. Seems anticlimatic to me for some reason. Like it just takes all the air out of the moment, especially in the playoffs.

In return though I don't need it in the regular season. If Cleveland and KC go into overtime at 9-9 I don't really need another 12 minutes of that nonsense just to find out who will win their 3rd game of the year at week 14.

But the playoffs mean something. And I hate kickers.

And for the love of God it has nothing to do with Favre, despite what dipshit Czaban thinks. The NFL isn't changing a rule for a guy who may not even play again, or if he does maybe a year? Make more sense to say they are putting it in for Tim Tebow somebody who would be around to see the rule being used.

PB86MCSS
03-23-2010, 08:21 PM
It's a step in the right direction.

When a coin flip helps determine the outcome of 60% of the games in the last 15-20 years of OT, that is a sign something needs to be done.

Prince Valiant
03-23-2010, 08:23 PM
I agree...college OT rules is a better choice...BUT, this I think is better than what WAS in place.

That said, I'd rather see this applied to all games, not just the play-offs.

hrsp
03-23-2010, 11:53 PM
first thought is that i like it...will have more to say soon..lol

Yooformula
03-24-2010, 01:20 AM
When a coin flip helps determine the outcome of 60% of the games in the last 15-20 years of OT, that is a sign something needs to be done.

isnt that like saying the defense doesnt count? your d should be able to stop the offense, this just seems like its giving a team an extra chance just because they have a weaker defense imo.

VroomPshhTsi
03-24-2010, 08:23 AM
I just think they are making a big deal and fixing something that isnt broke just to appease a few whiny qb's namely one that now wears purple simply because he didnt get a chance to touch the ball again at the end of the game. how about holding the d accountable instead?

Actually the Vikings were one of only four teams to vote AGAINST the new rule.

college players, rules, atmosphere and even the playoffs are different so why do we need to adopt their rules? wanna watch a college game? then watch one but the nfl shouldnt have the same rules...hell college still doesnt have a single winner at the end of the year and 9 out of 10 times their rankings suck, clearly they dont have a clue either.

I'm not talking about switching over EVERY aspect of college ball to the pros. But from the majority of football fans I talk to, the one thing they usually agree on is that college OT is a lot more exciting than the NFL's OT. As far as scheduling and rankings, that's a whole other argument.

PB86MCSS
03-24-2010, 06:05 PM
isnt that like saying the defense doesnt count? your d should be able to stop the offense, this just seems like its giving a team an extra chance just because they have a weaker defense imo.

No, it isn't implying defense or offense is less important. It's stating about 60% of the time the coin flip has DECIDED the outcome of the game, which is alot. I would say the same thing if only 40% of the time the team that won the coinflip won the game.

Besides the numbers, the fact you can win or lose the game with only one side of the ball on the field isn't as fair if each team has a shot. The idea of a Super Bowl ending a great game that leads to OT by having a team win the coin flip, get a kick return, one nice pass then a field goal is anti-climatic too.