PDA

View Full Version : Asphault approach

pOrk
03-21-2010, 08:58 AM
My approach from the street is sinking below the street, prolly has been for a few years now. Is there an asphault product I could purchase to full in the gap and level this out myself? I probably need 2-3 inches thick by 10 feet by 2 feet worth.

jbiscuit
03-21-2010, 09:44 AM
I wonder how the city would be with adding concrete/asphalt to that? If anything get some qwikcrete. Easy to use. I used it to set a bunch of fence posts my neighbor trashed last winter

pOrk
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I think it will be too thin in spots and would crack once driven over, I know asphalt it a ton more malleable and figured that would be the best option. City doesn't have a choice in the matter, its a dangerous mess going over it with a motorcycle.

Turbo-Triumph
03-21-2010, 09:53 AM
i was going to suggest quickrete as well.

If you feel that will be to brittle, what about that floor leveling cement? ive never used it so i cant say, but quickrete ftw, imo.

pOrk
03-21-2010, 09:58 AM
i was going to suggest quickrete as well.

If you feel that will be to brittle, what about that floor leveling cement? ive never used it so i cant say, but quickrete ftw, imo.

You think it will be okay over the asphalt thats there? I'm not against trying it, the stuff is only like 3 bucks a bag from lowes

Turbo-Triumph
03-21-2010, 10:02 AM
You think it will be okay over the asphalt thats there? I'm not against trying it, the stuff is only like 3 bucks a bag from lowes

if your asking about the quickrete.. yes, ive used it to go over bumps/dips/uneven surfaces that forklifts drive on. (YES IT DID EVENTUALLY FUCK UP AND LOOK LIKE SHIT AGAIN, (caps sorry), but it did take a while and forklifts are 2x the weight of cars)

if your asking about the floor leveling stuff,.. frankly i have no idea. ive never used it but seen my dad use it. it just kinda ooozed all over the place than he put wood tile over it. (he was making a ramp of some sort)

Turbo-Triumph
03-21-2010, 10:04 AM
PORK, does the surface your covering over, move around or sink when you drive on it? thats the most important question.. right there.

pOrk
03-21-2010, 10:08 AM
Negative, its solid. Also NOT using the floor leveler, that stuff is 35 bucks for a 40 pound bag compared to quickcrete that is 3 bucks per 40 pound bag :) I'll get a photo right quick

Turbo-Triumph
03-21-2010, 10:12 AM
if its solid, than i'de just bust up whatever you can with a large hammer (neighbors love this) and then cover it and let it dry. i noticed if you mix it kinda thick, it seems to adhear better when its done drying. also i dont know about how fast/good it cures in cold weather, so ganna need someone else's input there.

73MACH
03-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Pork, quickcrete will work..........til winter, then you will be in the same place again with concrete chunks ruining your snowblower.

(Still need that chainsaw?)

pOrk
03-21-2010, 10:14 AM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/approachzoom.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r87/thegreenpOrk/approach.jpg

pOrk
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Pork, quickcrete will work..........til winter, then you will be in the same place again with concrete chunks ruining your snowblower.

(Still need that chainsaw?)

I shovel, so no problems there :thumbsup I do still need a chainsaw

PureSound15
03-21-2010, 10:24 AM
Isn't that portion of your driveway owned by the City? I'm sure it's different in seperate cities.

A friend of mine works for an asphalt company, he was telling me that even in newer neighborhoods with those concrete gutters, the city has to come flatten that for you if you wish (Like someone with a motorcycle). This was a long time ago, and he was also kind of an idiot, but maybe it's worth looking into?

I'd use some asphalt.

Turbo-Triumph
03-21-2010, 10:25 AM
if you do use quickcrete your going to have to fuck up the surface somehow, otherwise MACH's right. i was expecting something much worse, and beaten than that. lol

if i were you, ide leave it, it looks good to me.. but if i had to do something i would use an air hammer and chip away the surface for a good sticky surface, than use quickcrete/reg cement

the problem here is you have to ruin it more to fix it.. lol and than if the fix doesnt work you kinda screwed yourself in the pork shoot.

im taking a bow here, and leaving you up to your own devices.. i dont want to be responsible for someone screwing up there driveway. lol

wrath
03-21-2010, 01:28 PM
Clean it with some Tide (powdered kind, I prefer the Mountain Fresh), let it dry, and use a bunch of coldpatch. It'll be alright.

PS: powdered Tide is great for cleaning driveways and it's cheap.

Russ Jerome
03-21-2010, 01:54 PM
I've back dragged your drive a couple times plowing and never noticed the little dip, wait till you see my RAMP at the end of my new place, local kids jump it with bikes :(

awsomeears
03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Anything other the Asphalt will come up.........

Grinder machine then lay another layer is what needs to be done, call the city and see what they say. Tell them you almost crashed your motorcycle that should get the ball rolling.

0TransAm0
03-21-2010, 02:30 PM
not sure if its the same stuff that wrath was talking about.. "cold patch" but you can buy bags of asphalt.. just use that and fill it in.

pOrk
03-21-2010, 02:31 PM
Isn't that portion of your driveway owned by the City? I'm sure it's different in seperate cities.

A friend of mine works for an asphalt company, he was telling me that even in newer neighborhoods with those concrete gutters, the city has to come flatten that for you if you wish (Like someone with a motorcycle). This was a long time ago, and he was also kind of an idiot, but maybe it's worth looking into?

I'd use some asphalt.

I will give that a go, shoot some emails and see what happens. I know the city just cut down 3 trees across the street for the neighbor that were all dead cause they were within 4 feet of the curb or something like that.

Clean it with some Tide (powdered kind, I prefer the Mountain Fresh), let it dry, and use a bunch of coldpatch. It'll be alright.

PS: powdered Tide is great for cleaning driveways and it's cheap.

I've heard this somewhere else before as well, I'm going to try it when I am ready to paint my garage floor and do both the floor and the driveway.

I've back dragged your drive a couple times plowing and never noticed the little dip, wait till you see my RAMP at the end of my new place, local kids jump it with bikes :(

The bottom 4 feet or so of the driveway was ice most of the winter because of the low spot:wow

lilws6
03-21-2010, 02:44 PM
yea that bump is bad on a bike i know i was just there :) just rip it all out and crete it lol

pOrk
03-21-2010, 02:52 PM
yea that bump is bad on a bike i know i was just there :) just rip it all out and crete it lol

Send me a grand and I'll make it happen :rolf

lilws6
03-21-2010, 06:34 PM
lol if i had a G i'de have a moser rear end in the t/a

Gregor
03-21-2010, 10:35 PM
It might be different where you live, but down here in Caledonia if you crete a approach they will make you tear it up and then charge you to lay down asphalt. The guy next door had that happen when he put in a new driveway. Concrete to the street and within a few weeks he had to tear the approach to replace it with asphalt.

Reverend Cooper
03-21-2010, 10:54 PM
i would call the city inspector and see if we can just rip it up and lay new asphalt,yes we if you need help i may be of assitance as long as you have beer

pOrk
03-22-2010, 08:14 AM
I found a product called cold patch which is a bagged asphalt product, going to try and find that tonight and give it a go. I did shoot an email to the city just awaiting a response

wrath
03-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Coldpatch stays pliable for about a year. So, to help it out I suggest using a propane de-icing (or propane weed killer) torch to heat it up. You can use the help of a big heavy truck with some ribbon tread highway tires to help compact it while you're heating it.