PDA

View Full Version : need a good body shop

lit666
03-20-2010, 10:32 PM
Looking for a good body shop to paint a spoiler. thx.

STANMAN
03-20-2010, 10:38 PM
Motorcar Collision did all my paintwork, right up on Bradley before you hit 81st.

Holeshot
03-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Authentic Automotive Cudahy PM Dr Ford

pOrk
03-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Crash Customs 414 541 3766

79SS
03-21-2010, 12:32 PM
authentic automotive cudahy pm dr ford

x2

Dasred
03-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I've gotten all of my work done at Nagel in Waukesha.:thumbsup

TransAm12sec
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM
Salvaggio is at Aloha's old shop. I wonder if Skeeter still works there.
www.perfectionautosport.com

And Bill runs Kaliber in Port Washington
www.kalibercollision.com

drewbird91
02-04-2011, 06:01 AM
Looking for a good body shop to paint a spoiler. thx.
Where did you end up going? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I called one place last night and they said $200:wooo

-stew-
02-04-2011, 06:49 AM
$200 doesn't sound that bad. In line with what I paid to have Authentic lay down an awesome coat of black on a saddle bag for my dads 'glide.

Cryptic
02-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Where did you end up going? How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I called one place last night and they said $200:wooo

Do you have any idea what paint costs? That and all the prep materials. Time, spray booth, heat the shop. Autobody isn't a charity.

Do you want it done right? Or someone to just scuff it down and spray it with el-cheapo single stage paint and hand it back to you.

PureSound15
02-04-2011, 08:34 AM
$200 doesn't seem bad at all. I paid $500 for a spoiler and a bumper - and that was a friend doing it.

DR.FORD
02-04-2011, 09:35 AM
$200 doesn't sound that bad. In line with what I paid to have Authentic lay down an awesome coat of black on a saddle bag for my dads 'glide.

Thank You!
It was our pleasure!!

juicedimpss
02-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Do you have any idea what paint costs? That and all the prep materials. Time, spray booth, heat the shop. Autobody isn't a charity.

Do you want it done right? Or someone to just scuff it down and spray it with el-cheapo single stage paint and hand it back to you.

aaaaaaaaaahahaha

"I want it to look perfect,but don't spend too much time on it."
:rolf

drewbird91
02-04-2011, 10:00 AM
I wanted to see how much it was to paint. I'm looking at getting a different oem spoiler. I was wondering if I should get one that is a different color and repaint it or look around for one that is the color that I need. Thanks for answering my question I should be able to find a used one in the right color for less than $200 + cost of spoiler, it just might take awhile.

lit666
02-04-2011, 10:21 AM
I had dr ford paint it. He took good care of it, I'll be going back for more work this spring

-stew-
02-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Thank You!
It was our pleasure!!

Interested in doing some motorcycle panels?

brotherbenn83
02-04-2011, 10:30 AM

Burt Reynolds would spray your whole car for that......:rolf:rolf:rolf

juicedimpss
02-04-2011, 10:48 AM
I wanted to see how much it was to paint. I'm looking at getting a different oem spoiler. I was wondering if I should get one that is a different color and repaint it or look around for one that is the color that I need. Thanks for answering my question I should be able to find a used one in the right color for less than $200 + cost of spoiler, it just might take awhile.

just out of curiosity....
what do YOU think something like that should cost to have painted?

GHOSST
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Just don't take it to Maaco, lol. Talk about cheap paint, and no prep whatsoever, I learned the hard way in 03'.

Always fork out the dough to get a good paint job. Cheap prices means cheap jobs...

drewbird91
02-04-2011, 12:42 PM

No I don't have any idea what it costs, hence me asking and being suprised by the $200 price tag for paint. How much prep material, time, and shop space is needed for a spoiler?

Yes I want it done right, which is why I'm coming to BCM since I know there are people here that know more about this.

just out of curiosity....
what do YOU think something like that should cost to have painted?

I was thinking somewhere between $100 and $150 to be honest with you.
$40-50 materials
~$50/hour for someone's time at 1-2 hours
=$100-150

Now maybe someone outside a shop could do it for cheaper and just as good, I know there are people on here that can do just as good of work as a shop and I thought wouldn't mind a side job.

Damn guys you don't really need to jump all over me on this. I'm looking to get a smaller spoiler for my car and was just exploring my option. One option (that I did not know the total cost) was to get a junk yard/craiglist spoiler for $50 and get it repainted to match. If it is $200 to get painted then obivously this might not be the cheapest option. Another option is to get one primed from online ($125 shipped) but then it needed paint. The last option is to wait and see if I can find one in the color I need and not have to repaint it. This appears to be the cheapest option and gets me the same results.

wheelsofsteel
02-04-2011, 12:48 PM
I was thinking somewhere between $100 and $150 to be honest with you.
$40-50 materials
~$50/hour for someone's time at 1-2 hours
=$100-150

Dude, not to be like that but you are abit off with the price of materials. Go and price out the materials once because more is needed then "paint and clear". Once you do that..... then give Jim @ Authentic a call and make your appointment.

Korndogg
02-04-2011, 12:51 PM
Damn guys you don't really need to jump all over me on this.

Welcome to BCM.......

Cryptic
02-04-2011, 01:33 PM
A lot of aftermarket parts come needing a lot of finish work. I spent hours and hours on bumpers and fenders I put on my RX7. There's lots of pits that needed to be filled and primed and sanded several times to get an A1 finish. For someone to quote you a price without seeing how much work is going to have to go into the piece, they have to cover their ass.

I just saw your detail pics from Yoo. Your going to want an A1 job to match your car.

Here is an example of all the fill spots I had to do on a "new bumper".
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/rx7_rebuild/IMG_3177.sized.jpg

Hand sand, fill, sand, prime, sand, inspect... repeat as necessary.

lordairgtar
02-04-2011, 01:34 PM
I had Pioneer paint my coaster wagon. The sand blasting, dent straightening, primer, base coat, cleared, cost me about 350. We just found some remnant paints in the back and I still have a half pint of that blue metallic. So I think 200 is cheap for whatever work they have to do to get the thing to look right. Remember, the part, car, or whatever has to please you, but also has to please the body shop owner as his reputation is based on what others perceive it's quality. @drewbird...I think body shops are charging more than $50 an hour now.

pOrk
02-04-2011, 03:16 PM
The materials to do a spoiler if you don't have anything laying around will cost 200, then add labor. 200 is a good price, paint is crazy expensive.

GHOSST
02-04-2011, 04:46 PM
If only we all could get "Flat" paint jobs... Hot Rod magazine FTW.

FoxStang
02-04-2011, 05:01 PM
How much prep material, time, and shop space is needed for a spoiler?

Not much, but you won't find a single shop that charges an overhead cost simply by how much room your project takes up. Keep in mind there's large fixed costs associated with a shop even at say 3am Sunday morning, nothing is ever free. As cryptic already pointed out, those "new" panels that come primed are rarely just a unbox and spray ordeal. Depending on what kind spoiler, for a good job $350-400 range to me would sound completely reasonable if you want it done right. With body work you definitely get what you pay for. If your really on a budget might I recommend doing the prep work yourself? That is if you know how to do that.

Yooformula
02-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Jim at Authentic does AWESOME work and at great prices! I wouldnt hesitate in the least to have work done there! Keith at Car Craft does phenomenal work too but I am biased since he paint my ENTIRE car!

DR.FORD
02-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Interested in doing some motorcycle panels?

No problem- let me know when!