PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a 92 corvette

team beater
03-20-2010, 07:45 AM
Does any one have any experience with c4 vettes?
If so here is what I posted on the corvette forum, please help if you can or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

hello all,
So my issue is a no start 92 lt1, started by changing the battery.
I have 50k on it, its a m6 and has never had an issue starting it before now.
so here is the story, battery was getting old and didn't like to hold a charge, changed battery started car, after a few seconds it stalled(normal after sitting for a while) go to restart it and I get 1 click as it is attempting to start but is being prevented. have seen this before, so i hammer on the starter a bit, no go. Thinking that the starter cog is somehow is not aligning with the flywheel, I throw it in 6th and move it a few feet. Still just a click. Take the starter out open it up, the 2 copper contacts are wore pretty good, cant find a rebuild kit so i get a new starter. put new starter in no crank and no click. It is definitely drawing a load when attempting to start but it doesn't spin.

So I check the forums, Vats is obviously the number one response but my security light doesn't illuminate when key is in, replaced the starter relay and have also jumped the clutch safety switch. No go........so I am pulling my hair out as to why it is not turning over.

Remember when I had the last starter in, the solenoid would click, no security light for vats and fuel pump comes on and I have never had any issues starting EVER before.

I think I read somewhere about the knock sensor above the starter that could cause a prob, don't really know why but at this point I am confused

Any input?

Dr.Buick
03-20-2010, 07:55 AM
Go doen by the starter with a test light, Have someone turn the key if it lights bad starter, if it don't light than start looking at wiring :thumbsup

wrath
03-20-2010, 08:37 AM
Since the solenoid is on the starter like all other GM starters, and the solenoid moves, you know VATS says "AOK". So, that leaves you with:

Bad wiring to the starter (cooked wire)
Bad connection to the starter (corroded terminals)
Bad ground to the engine
Bad solenoid
Bad starter

If it's a system-wide power problem, when you turn the key the lights in the car will dim due to either a voltage drop or a floating ground.

Since I'm lazy, I tend not to be systemic. First thing I'd try is running a jumper cable from a known good ground (the post if it's a top post battery, a fresh bolt in a side post as opposed to clamping on the side terminal) to the engine to see if it's a ground problem.

Since I'm 7/8 hillbilly, the next thing I'd try is running a jumper cable from the battery to the large lug on the starter.

Prince Valiant
03-20-2010, 08:47 AM
You need more gold chains and slicked back hair. Preferably with your top 4 shirt buttons unbuttoned.

That should do the job.

Gregor
03-20-2010, 03:35 PM
You need more gold chains and slicked back hair. Preferably with your top 4 shirt buttons unbuttoned.

That should do the job.

With or without the hair sticking out?

I going to have to with a bad connect somewhere.

team beater
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
found it, connection
Thanks
its always stupid things

brotherbenn83
03-21-2010, 05:10 PM

That should do the job.
FACE?????

http://pop.wizbangblog.com/images/2007/12/singleton_gets_a-team_knod_fro/a-team-corvette02-thumb.jpg