PDA

View Full Version : Any DLP tv owners here?

hrsp
03-18-2010, 11:33 PM
I was talking to a family member of mine on the phone and he swears that his 65" DLP has a "way" better picture than my 55" vizio LED...both are 1080 of course...

so anyone here have a DLP and how is your pictire quality? thanks

Josepy
03-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I have the rear DLP and the picture is very good but i doubt it is better than your new led tv.

Silver86
03-19-2010, 05:51 AM
i have a 50" toshiba DLP... and the pic quality is good in standard, great in 1080/720... but not as good as an LCD or LED tv.

jon_we4
03-19-2010, 07:53 AM
I was talking to a family member of mine on the phone and he swears that his 65" DLP has a "way" better picture than my 55" vizio LED...both are 1080 of course...

so anyone here have a DLP and how is your pictire quality? thanks

In a pepsi challenge your LED backlit LCD panel would win. I'm not sure if his TV would do 1080p, it might only do 1080i. However except for a few things like blueray or some direct tv channels, "HD" is 1080i.

DLP's are not perfect. I have a similar technology which Sony used. Basically the same style of a rear projection but using tiny LCD screens instead of a DLP color wheel. But the technology was great back 5 years ago.

LCD panel technology has really advanced. You could end your debate really quickly by saying "If it's so great then why did all the manufacturers stop producing it?"

twirkin50
03-19-2010, 08:33 AM
i have a 50" toshiba DLP... and the pic quality is good in standard, great in 1080/720... but not as good as an LCD or LED tv.

Agreed! Plus your LED will be a lot better after the $200 bulb on my TV blows again.........

DLP's are great, but if I had known about the bulb that only lasts so long, or the ballast that dies, or the light engine that fails..... I would have never bought a Toshiba DLP

BoosTT
03-19-2010, 09:34 AM
... 28% of all dlps break... mine was the $1000 light engine.

T-Bag
03-19-2010, 09:42 AM
In a pepsi challenge your LED backlit LCD panel would win. I'm not sure if his TV would do 1080p, it might only do 1080i. However except for a few things like blueray or some direct tv channels, "HD" is 1080i.

DLP's are not perfect. I have a similar technology which Sony used. Basically the same style of a rear projection but using tiny LCD screens instead of a DLP color wheel. But the technology was great back 5 years ago.

LCD panel technology has really advanced. You could end your debate really quickly by saying "If it's so great then why did all the manufacturers stop producing it?"

Bluray is 1080p unless your tvonly supports 720p ...then its converted to 720p. Most hd television is broadcast in 720p but i believe dish has some 1080p channels.

There are 1080p dlp televisions...dlp is dieing out if not already dead, i would think an LED tv would look better than a dlp. My parents' plasma looks better than my dlp and they both only support 720p.

WhatsADSM
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
I'd put my Sony A3000 SXRD DLP up against the Visio. I'd bet the PQ on my TV is still better.. but then again my TV is only 2 years old and had one of the best picture qualities in its day (it also was pretty pricey).

In general DLPs are just okay... the technology has essentially been eclipsed by modern LCD/plasma. If your family member has a middle of the road DLP I kind doubt the PQ is better than a new Visio LED (backlit).

jon_we4
03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Bluray is 1080p unless your tvonly supports 720p ...then its converted to 720p. Most hd television is broadcast in 720p but i believe dish has some 1080p channels.

There are 1080p dlp televisions...dlp is dieing out if not already dead, i would think an LED tv would look better than a dlp. My parents' plasma looks better than my dlp and they both only support 720p.

I don't pay that much attention anymore but I've caught some HD channels on cable at 1080i. I did a search before I made my post and I guess direct tv and dish have PPV at 1080p.

Moparjim
03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Agreed! Plus your LED will be a lot better after the $200 bulb on my TV blows again.........

DLP's are great, but if I had known about the bulb that only lasts so long, or the ballast that dies, or the light engine that fails..... I would have never bought a Toshiba DLP

What type of Toshiba? I have one as well, and have been going to Advanced Lamps on the web, they have the bulbs for like $120.

I've had mine (1080P Toshiba) for like 5 years and love it, great picture. As others have said, I'm sure it isn't as good as newer LCD/LED TVs but it has a great picture for the price and times when I bought it. As far as the bulb I hav had to replace it twice now, but still at $120 a bulb and the much lower at that time initial cost compared to a LED or Plasma (at the time I bought mine, the LCD and plasma TVs were like 2-3 times what I got a DLP TV for) it has been a cheap TV to own. The earlier generation plasma and LED TVs were riddled with early total failures on the plasmas, and issues like dead pixels and stuff on the LEDs. So, 3-5 years ago I think DLP was the way to go. Now, probably not so much.

theavenger333
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
i've got the last model Samsung made, a 56" DLP with the LED bulb, which took care of the dimness some older dlps had, as well as the picture/color fade. i agree with the above, it's a very good tv but that new LED lcd is prob better. not by a whole lot, but still better

T-Bag
03-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't pay that much attention anymore but I've caught some HD channels on cable at 1080i. I did a search before I made my post and I guess direct tv and dish have PPV at 1080p.

yeah some stuff is broadcast in 1080i on btime warner...however you'll mostly see 720p because it looks a ton better when there is a lot of motion going on like in sports.

Anakonda69
03-21-2010, 09:34 AM
i have a 1080p mitsubitshi 57" dlp. never had any issues. had it a lil over 2 yrs now. i love it. have yet to have hd dvd's or tv on it but i like the reg picture. since i now have a house again i will be getting hd sat/cable.

Holeshot
03-21-2010, 09:42 AM
Directv and dish both have PPV in 1080P . I upgraded from my Sony DLP to my current Samsung and the difference was very noticeable.