PDA

View Full Version : Diagnose Me.

PureSound15
03-18-2010, 10:10 PM
So... after a ride tonight, I developed this wonderful new squeak. Awesome. 2 days out of storage and the turd is upset with me.

So.. the squeak is definitely coming from the belt/blower area, but I cannot actually hear where exactly its coming from. Nevermind the blower whistle, but the horrid chirping noise is new.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk1n0KFz_H8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk1n0KFz_H8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So, place your bets.

1) Blower itself needs a rebuild (7k miles on it)
2) Tenioner pulley
3) Blower pulley bearing

On my car it's #*@ING LOUD!

nismodave
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM

I hope so for your sake its 2.

Welcome to the world of highly modded vehicles Mr Trost. :D You pull your stuff out of storage, and it does something it never has. :chair:

Korndogg
03-18-2010, 10:12 PM
get out a piece of tube and hold it up to your ear and try to find it

Reverend Cooper
03-18-2010, 10:16 PM
just a thought,gets some video and sound of your car.

PureSound15
03-18-2010, 10:32 PM
Uploading a video now

PureSound15
03-18-2010, 10:36 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk1n0KFz_H8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sk1n0KFz_H8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

rally_scort
03-18-2010, 10:38 PM
ill play the longshot, and go with an alternator on its way out :)

Prince Valiant
man, yo cah go WOOOH WOOOH!

Reverend Cooper
belt more than likely,and prolly needs a tensioner too,the a/c sounded like it kicked on
does the noise go away when its off.

Reverend Cooper
03-18-2010, 10:39 PM
take some lube and spray the belt just a bit see if it goes away

rally_scort
03-18-2010, 10:41 PM

and by lube, you mean brake parts cleaner :thumbsup

WickedSix
03-18-2010, 10:41 PM
get a long screwdriver or a small enough prybar and put handle up to your ear and the blade as close as safe to each possible bearing... if u got a bad bearing u will hear it growling through the screwdriver....

video sounds like a lose or bad belt...but hard to tell on a crappy laptop speaker

Z28Envy
03-18-2010, 10:42 PM
ill play the longshot, and go with an alternator on its way out :)

I thought it got louder when he put it by the alternator too. The bearings in my alternator were shot couple of years ago and it sounded like that. I had it rebuilt and it's been fine since.

rally_scort
03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
just out of curiosity and/or lack of knowledge of your blower setup, but couldnt you remove the blower belt to rule it out? Id also suggest taking the belt off, and spinning the pulleys by hand.

Reverend Cooper
03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
and by lube, you mean brake parts cleaner :thumbsup

no i mean lube because the noise is going to go away,then when we put the updated thumper tensioner on it and a belti will hose down the pullies and and shit on them off.
the car has thrown the belt before when sean owned it,and the car is putting down enough power that the tensioner is probaly finally twisting.
i think the noise changes to much to be the alt. i may be wrong but knowing the history i might just have a plan. but yes brake clean will work to,but i doubt he has that and thats why i suggested a touch of lube

PureSound15
03-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Well, the blowe pulley and alternaor pulleys are 1" apart, and the car only has 20k on it, so I wasn't going to guess te alternator, but I guess that would be better than anything related o the blower.

Reverend Cooper
03-18-2010, 10:48 PM
relax sleep tight and have gumdrop dreams it will be a easy fix batman

rally_scort
03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
no i mean lube because the noise is going to go away,then when we put the updated thumper tensioner on it and a belti will hose down the pullies and and shit on them off.
the car has thrown the belt before when sean owned it,and the car is putting down enough power that the tensioner is probaly finally twisting.
i think the noise changes to much to be the alt. i may be wrong but knowing the history i might just have a plan. but yes brake clean will work to,but i doubt he has that and thats why i suggested a touch of lube

makes sense to me, i wasnt aware the car had such low milage.Something just points me towards the alternator, they have a very distinct chirp.Its a low quality video, so my assumptions are just that.Either way, my money isnt on the blower *fingers crossed*

Dr.Buick
03-18-2010, 10:51 PM
spray brake clean on the belt see if it goes away. that will let you know, if not stop by sat. with it:thumbsup

rally_scort
03-18-2010, 10:53 PM
spray brake clean on the belt see if it goes away. that will let you know, if not stop by sat. with it:thumbsup

yup, either the belt would be trashed or something is dripping onto it

Reverend Cooper
03-18-2010, 10:54 PM
makes sense to me, i wasnt aware the car had such low milage.Something just points me towards the alternator, they have a very distinct chirp.Its a low quality video, so my assumptions are just that.Either way, my money isnt on the blower *fingers crossed*

agree i highly doubt its the blower,and if it is its not a big deal,pop off send in pop on, but its gonna be the belt and tensioner.not gonna rule out the alt until i hear it in person,but seeing as it was not as bad the more it ran,im betting belt,miles are really low for a bad alt or blower

Russ Jerome
03-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Dam service writers!

Take a peice of wax or tire chalk, first do smooth outboard side and then cogged/grooved inboard side, what side fixxed it is first step.

*using yellow tire chalk makes the belt look like those cool Goodyear tires or BFGs with the squigly wear bar in it!

-stew-
03-19-2010, 12:52 AM
Ryan, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your tests came back positive...

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t247/Nealio6s/Forums/d8ea4f02.jpg

PureSound15
03-19-2010, 08:10 AM
Lol.

It's friday, so I'm going to try to work as little as possible, and try to figure this out today.

I'm thinking the tensioner is pulled forward so the belt is making the noise. The squeak started after I (barely) got on it in 2nd, so it would make sense.

Probably get one of these
http://www.alloutracing.com/store/metco-tensioner-support-plate.html

And a new tensioner.

BAD LS1
03-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Well spraying something on the belt will tell real quick if the alternator took a shit, the belt is at fault or the motor spun a bearing lol. Silicone paste-like grease is another longer lasting temp fix for now too on the belt.

PureSound15
03-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Sprayed some brake cleaner on the belt and it cleared it right up. I guess I'll just replace the tensioner and belt.

There's no "in between" for tensioner from what I can find. It's either $400 for a billet one, or the stock one with a support plate.

BlackLightning
03-19-2010, 05:48 PM
Sprayed some brake cleaner on the belt and it cleared it right up. I guess I'll just replace the tensioner and belt.

There's no "in between" for tensioner from what I can find. It's either $400 for a billet one, or the stock one with a support plate.

Is your tensioner the same as the 03-04 cobra and lightning? I know those are interchangeable and a company from one of the lightning boards just came out with an adjustable heavy duty one for 200. It is adjustable from 40ft/lbs to 80ft/lbs.

http://www.racers-edge.org/mptensioner.jpg

http://www.magnumpowers.com/light_pro_pri.php

You can call and talk to Charles about it if you want. All I know is I love my reichard racing one :thumbsup

PureSound15
03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Mine is 3 bolt, but I know that there are 2 different 3 bolt tensioners. I think it should be the same.

Thanks for the link!

wrath
03-19-2010, 07:16 PM
As a side note, windshield washer fluid is good for tracking squeaks and vacuum leaks. Just put it in a garden sprayer so you can get either a stream or a mist. It's pretty nice because it doesn't leave a haze or spots like most other things you'd spray under the hood of a car.

Reverend Cooper
03-19-2010, 09:22 PM
tensioner and belt is no big deal ryan if you need help i will do it