PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got a liver?

TheRX7Project
03-18-2010, 10:51 AM
My uncle needs a liver. A kidney would be nice too.

He was diagnosed about 15 years ago with Hepatitis C and now his liver is gone. He's at UW Madison waiting for one. I hadn't seen him in a couple years, went and saw him yesterday with my mom and aunt... wow. It's truly sad to see him the way he is now. He used to be a big, strong man, full of life and energy... now he can barely sit up in his hospital bed, and barely talk. His legs are swollen and he is pale and jaundice. His wife found him nearly dead the other day and rushed him to the hospital. His blood was so toxic he doesn't remember what happened.

As he said yesterday... "I guess now we just wait for the right person to die." The depressing truth. Thankfully UW Madison is one of the best liver centers in the state (why he got moved there) and they have one of the highest percentages of success with liver transplants.

So I'd like to thank all of you who have that little "Organ Donor" sticker on you license, you may save someone's life someday- someone like my uncle.

Prince Valiant
03-18-2010, 11:13 AM
I'll drive extra dangerously today, if that helps.

All kidding aside, it's always sad to hear of someone in need like this...do you know how he contracted HepC?

Have they spoke about partial living liver transplants? It is possible to take a section of a living individuals liver and transplant it...current long term studies suggest it works as well as whole liver transplants from deceased individuals. Of course, the most likely source for such a transplant would be a family member...

TheRX7Project
03-18-2010, 11:23 AM
They haven't talked about this, however unfortunately nobody in the family is a match (myself, aunt and mom are AB+, I'm not sure what my brother is but he's not a match either).

He did contract HepC in his younger days, they don't know exactly how. He did live the "party life" for a while admittedly, and did get some tats when he was young. It's unclear exactly when or how he contracted it, but it got diagnosed about 15 years ago or so, and he had already had it for a while.

Fortunately, he has been sober for over 18 years. If he was still drinking, his liver would've been gone long, long ago. Thankfully, he has a caring wife and a child who he cleaned up his life for, then found out about his disease. Also fortunately, his wife and child don't have it by some miracle of God.

nismodave
03-18-2010, 11:27 AM
Sorry to hear that, man. My prayers are with him that he finds one soon.

RanJer
03-18-2010, 12:13 PM
Hope the best for him, James.

Not sure you'd want a liver from most people on this website... :alcoholic:

TheRX7Project
03-18-2010, 12:20 PM
lol ^^ thanks for the well wishes.

MurphysLaw88GT
03-18-2010, 02:31 PM
My grandpa received a heart transplant in 1995 at UW. They are good at what they do there.

WhatsADSM
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
Very sorry to hear it man... Really makes you appreciate what you have.

I wish you and your uncle the best.

Turbo-Triumph
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
WTF james you went out there and didnt call me to come with? What the hell kind of move was that?

according to Mom, they wont try a partial liver transplant b/c it wont work for him for some reason. i believe b/c of the kidney issues.

Also, James, how do you know that i am not a match? what is his blood type? i dont know mine, and neither does Mom (ive asked before). How would i go about getting tested?

Ill gladly up a kidney to save him, if i can. That way he would be much more of a 'qualified candidate' for the liver issue.

TheRX7Project
03-18-2010, 05:57 PM
I'm pretty sure mom and I discussed it and she said you weren't a match. He is AB-. You can get your blood type from your doctor, if they've done any blood tests on you they should be able to get you your blood type.

We went during the day yesterday, I picked up auntie at noon. You wouldn't have been able to go anyway.

But once he gets home and is feeling a little better, we're all going to go see him up in Oshkosh.

Holeshot
03-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Prayers sent to your Uncle

michelle
03-20-2010, 08:00 AM
Best wishes to your Uncle. I hope they are able to find a match soon.

When I changed my license under my new name, I checked the Organ Donor option. Never did before for selfish reasons, but I've grown up a bit since I was 16.