PDA

View Full Version : Career Advice

OxmanWI
03-15-2010, 06:22 PM
Mods you can lock and delete

-stew-
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
If you have no experience in the supervisory position, then you are not qualified for it. Think about it, would you wanna work *for* some fuckstick who's never actually done your job? I'm not sayin anything, just sayin. Think about it.

pnad
03-15-2010, 06:27 PM
Supervisors don't always make a whole lot more than their employees.

I see where you are coming from and its not a bad plan, but you could interview for the super position and address your concerns and see what they say. No real harm in taking the interview.

Doc Brown
03-15-2010, 06:37 PM
You could put in for the basic position, then recommend me for the supervisory position since I have years of experience but am currently stuck in a basic position, then I in turn could look out for you as my employee! Everyone wins!!:thumbsup

05caddyext
03-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Make one of your questions in the basic interview "Are there real opportunities to grow with this position?" Also ask how many people at the basic level get promoted to a supervisory level. Even with a ton of experience at the supervisory level each job has its own set of rules and knowledge. A person with alot of experience isn't always a good fit for some supervisory positions, they tend to bring with them the "status quo." Maybe this company is looking to forge a new trail with you as a leader, you never know. Find out what it entails and what their expectations and goals are, then decide what you think will fit best with your goals and expectations.

MoCkiN U
03-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I would interview for both and ask what they are looking for in a supervisor. Personally I have started several jobs in supervisor type role and not known their way of business and they have taught me. The company valued my skill set enough to teach me their way.
You can go into that company as a supervisor get on the ground with your peeps and do the job they do in the form of trying to learn it while gaining their respect so you can lead when the time comes. Chances are there is a person there leading today so they arent hurting too bad. The main question I would have is did that person apply for the position and is there going to be butt hurt feelings over a outside candidate getting hired. Of course you will never know and dont ask in the interview but I would wonder myslef.

You gotta apply for your future job today sometimes. Maybe its another year before you get a shot. Maybe there is a lot of turnover in that position because the supervisors are under a lot of stress. Just because you dont have experience in that company doesnt mean you cant perform the job. Companies will teach thir way of business if you have other intangable(sp?) skills they want the candiate to have that arent teachables but you will have to go in their with the goal of building a team and not being a dictator.

Hopefully that ramble helps you in some small way???

PureSound15
03-15-2010, 08:35 PM
Go for the supervisor role. Eventually you need to learn those things, and supervisors only have that experience because they stepped up to the plate some time in their life.

I think there are many ways to make a smooth transition to a supervisor role, with people reporting to you and you still having to learn how to perform some tasks.

I'm 20+ years younger than any of my cohorts, and 5-10 years younger than many of the people that report activity to me. I struggled a lot at first overcoming the "young hotshot" ordeal, but earned their trust by talking with them, providing results and choosing my words carefully. I think you can do the same, there's nothing wrong with your new employees knowing that you're new to the role. How would it be any different if any of them were promoted?

I say go for it. You might not have that chance in the next 2? 5? 10? years.

1320PNY
03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
Companies do not seem to promote from within these days. It is unfortunately old thinking. Go for the supervisor job.

OxmanWI
03-15-2010, 10:50 PM
Thank you for your advice, good people on the BCM forums.

I talked to my Dad for an hour on the subject again. He knocked some sense into me this time. By not going for the supervisor job, I'm showing the company that I don't want the job. I should do everything is my power to get "A" job anyways. It's telling them that I'm only good enough for a basic level and I'm not a leader nor have any confidence. I should at least try.

Mods you can lock and delete

Thank you,

Josh