PDA

View Full Version : Salvage Yard with a Z31 300zx?

cycotron
03-15-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm looking for a salvage yard with a 84-89 300zx, any trim level. I need the Caliper mounting brackets for the rear end.

Can anyone recommend a yard? half the places I call dont even seem to know what a 300zx is.

Flicktitty
03-15-2010, 01:29 PM
i'd say get on WisconsinZcrew.com look up Junior85Z he has a few Z31's sitting around i'm sure he has a mounting bracket.

cycotron
03-15-2010, 02:39 PM
Thanks so much for the referral. I've emailed him and I'll post back if I have any luck or not.

I'm looking to do a relatively new format brake upgrade on my 240sx and could use these parts asap.

Flicktitty
03-15-2010, 03:00 PM
ah, Gotcha. Z brakes seem to be a real nice and popular upgrade on the S-chassis.

do you have any pics/specs on your 240?

FoxStang
03-15-2010, 09:45 PM
My buddies got the whole rear axle and suspension from a Z32, which is pretty commonly used for a 240 if the Z31 stuff doesn't pan out, let me know.

cycotron
03-15-2010, 11:24 PM
I've got pics from 4 years ago lol: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/756039. I really need to take some new pics since a lot has changed since then. Not much on the body except for different sideskirts (oem Navan JDM Tyte skirts lol), but the turbo setup / etc is obviously a lot different. It's got a T25 turbo from SR20 on it now, etc etc. Probably netting around 215-225 hp.

Right now the car needs suspension, brakes (one caliper is hanging up), and a set of rear tires. I just bought some Stance LX+ coilovers which should be pretty sweet. I want to take care of the brakes and tires right away while I have it apart for the coilover install. After all that, I should finally get some recent pics and have some fun... I haven't driven it for at least a year, its covered in dust in my garage right now.

I have Z32 brakes on the front. I was considering the Z32 brake upgrade on the rear, but it's fairly expensive. I'm now looking to do this cheaper/new upgrade that surfaced on forums recently. You use a mounting bracket from Z31, original 240sx calipers, and discs from an 02-06 Altima. You net about 1.5" gain on the rotors, and its a hell of a lot cheaper than the Z32 setup (info here: http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=483332)

FoxStang: if your buddy is willing to let the calipers/e-brake hardware go for a decent price I would still entertain that setup. From what I've read it sounds like the e-brake assembly might have to be from a Non-Turbo model. You have any idea what Z32 it came off of?

FoxStang
03-16-2010, 12:47 AM
91 NA 2+2, we hauled off the remnants of the body a couple of weeks ago, I need to see if he kept his ebrake linkage. Unfortunately he's out of town for the next couple of days, but I can let you know as soon as he gets back.

cycotron
03-16-2010, 01:10 AM
91 NA 2+2, we hauled off the remnants of the body a couple of weeks ago, I need to see if he kept his ebrake linkage. Unfortunately he's out of town for the next couple of days, but I can let you know as soon as he gets back.

Awesome. Even if I can successfully procure the Z31 bracket, I may decide to go Z32 rear brakes next winter or something, just to have a new project. So for the right price, I'd take the stuff off his hands even if I go with the other setup for now.

nismodave
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
I have a friend who has the parts you need. $20 PM me

cycotron
03-16-2010, 04:59 PM
I have a friend who has the parts you need. $20 PM me

Your about 1 hour too late, I ended up finding someone on Wisconsinzcrew.com, going to pick them up tonight. Thanks for the offer though, I appreciate it. These things are probably going to start becoming a hot commodity.

spooln30
03-16-2010, 09:28 PM
I think you guys will like this. 2jz with a compound turbo set up. Bad ass!

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbpteG9Z93s

Link to writeup
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=580167

Flicktitty
03-16-2010, 09:41 PM
Toyota motor in a Nissan? WTF?!

nismodave
03-16-2010, 09:51 PM
Another butchered Nissan. :mad:

FoxStang
03-16-2010, 10:17 PM
Another butchered Nissan. :mad:
Meh, better than any 4 cylinder offerings from Nissan. Since their sticking with 6 cylinders, and the VG kinda sucks to work on, JZ or RB seem like logical choices. Seems like parts would be easier to source for a JZ than an RB too. Then again I've never been against putting your choice of motor in whatever chassis you want.

WhatsADSM
03-16-2010, 10:21 PM
For real..

WTF, everytime someone puts a toyo motor in a nissan god kills a kitten.

nismodave
03-16-2010, 10:22 PM
Meh, better than any 4 cylinder offerings from Nissan.

Sr20 is a damn good motor.:D

nismodave
03-16-2010, 10:23 PM
For real..

:rolf

LIZMO
03-16-2010, 10:25 PM
i hope god didn't kill it kitten cuz of me :(

Flicktitty
03-16-2010, 10:26 PM
For real..

:rolf ugh oh, Liz the Kitty killer. :rolf

nismodave
03-16-2010, 10:27 PM
For shame Liz!! FOR SHAME!!

Flicktitty
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM

it's good but it ain't no JZ lol. :thumbsup

LIZMO
03-16-2010, 10:29 PM
lol shutup. you like my car. or you just lie to me :(

nismodave
03-16-2010, 10:59 PM
it's good but it ain't no JZ lol. :thumbsup

At least my car is still a TRUE Nissan, Traitor. Plent of Srs making the big power of the JZs with 2 less cyl.

lol shutup. you like my car. or you just lie to me :(

I do like your car. :)

cycotron
03-16-2010, 11:09 PM

I stand by my KA24DET :P

WhatsADSM
03-16-2010, 11:38 PM
All I can say is real men do it with Nissan Engines.

As for the kitten killers, they can do what they want ;)

FoxStang
03-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Plent of Srs making the big power of the JZs with 2 less cyl.

But they sound horrible, makes me think of mosquitoes. I'd much rather have the smooth powerband of the six cylinder.

LIZMO
03-17-2010, 09:20 AM
All I can say is real men do it with Nissan Engines.

thats fine, cuz im not a man lol.

LIZMO
03-17-2010, 09:22 AM
At least my car is still a TRUE Nissan, Traitor. Plent of Srs making the big power of the JZs with 2 less cyl.

yeah with wayyyyy more parts and money to it than i do. either way i didn't wanna do a sr cuz everyone has one. i figured if i was doing a swap might as well go big or go home :)
and my car is still a nissan. thats what the title says. and the bumper.

WhatsADSM
03-17-2010, 01:18 PM
thats fine, cuz im not a man lol.

I was careful with my wording for a reason ;)

so what I have heard so far was Nissan > Toyota and 6 cyl > 4 cyl...

Huh, just imagine if there were an i6 Nissan engine it would be like god or something :goof

PS I have been saying this for years but when are we all going to get together for a cruise or a driving event at RA or GLD or something?

nismodave
03-17-2010, 03:34 PM
yeah with wayyyyy more parts and money to it than i do. either way i didn't wanna do a sr cuz everyone has one. i figured if i was doing a swap might as well go big or go home :)
and my car is still a nissan. thats what the title says. and the bumper.

How do you figure? My car is still a bone stock internal motor with new bearings, Cams and a larger turbo.

I dont see everyone with an SR motor in this area with a 240. If its so popular, then it must not be a bad choice.

If you cant get a decent amount of HP out of a nissan motor (what the car was intended to have) thats your own fault.:loser

If you stuff a Yota motor in it you have a wannabe Poopra

Flicktitty
03-17-2010, 04:06 PM
How do you figure? My car is still a bone stock internal motor with new bearings, Cams and a larger turbo.

I dont see everyone with an SR motor in this area with a 240. If its so popular, then it must not be a bad choice.

If you cant get a decent amount of HP out of a nissan motor (what the car was intended to have) thats your own fault.:loser

If you stuff a Yota motor in it you have a wannabe Poopra

less money per hp in her setup then into your's i'm willing to bet.

And there is a hole fuck ton of SR guy's in the area now. there cheap and there easy to do and there "JDM tyte yo" so thats why people do it.

you are one of a dieing breed in todays 240sx world Dave. People these day's are going bigger and harder then ever before. People that want 500+HP aren't do SR's much anymoe everyone is jumpin to the JZ/RB/LSX ship. even people on national s-chassis sites are switchin over.

Not saying your opinion is wrong but it's getting to be common to stuff a big motor in a light car. just like the muscle car days. do you frown apon a BBC in a fox body? or a LSX in a mustang? or a SBF in a Miata? fast is fast, people do what they want to do, more power to them for taking the road less traveled and less popular.

LIZMO
03-17-2010, 09:02 PM
well put nicholas.
lol.

and as for a cruise... im done whenever. well after a few weeks. im trying to have my car done by april 16th. so i can go to a 240sx meet and so i can go to RA that sat or sun. are you going then?

nismodave
03-17-2010, 09:47 PM
Well the money I put into my car might be more, but you really cant compare the 2. Obviously.

I hope that when her Yota motor gets "Played Out" or "JDM TYTE YO" as you put it, that you can find a motor that will be of use.:rolleyes:

BTW, Nick, when are you going to build your OWN car?

Flicktitty
03-17-2010, 11:16 PM
Well the money I put into my car might be more, but you really cant compare the 2. Obviously.

I hope that when her Yota motor gets "Played Out" or "JDM TYTE YO" as you put it, that you can find a motor that will be of use.:rolleyes:

BTW, Nick, when are you going to build your OWN car?

i never said it was "played out" i said it was jdm tyte cause all the new 240sx bandwagoners over the last couple of years just got the Sr20 because it was the "jdm" thing to do. i don't know why your getting so defensive Dave, you need to relax this is between friends and i personally think your giving alot more personal attacks towards me and liz then any of us gave you. :mad:

nismodave
03-17-2010, 11:42 PM
Im totally relaxed, Nick. Your view on vehicles and modifying perplexes me at times.

Simple, fast, reliable, available are all good reasons to do the SR swap. Its the motor that should of came in the car anyways. I think that has more to do with people doing the swap other than the "jdm thing to do".

LIZMO
03-18-2010, 09:17 AM
well i was the one that decided to do a 2jz swap. not him. and i do what i want, not whats simple. (its fast reliable and many parts aren't hard to find, last i checked 2jz's were IN the usa, SR'S weren't) not what everyone else does, i don't care what ppl think about anything i do or how i look or act.

read my signature.

WhatsADSM
03-18-2010, 12:32 PM
well put nicholas.
lol.

and as for a cruise... im done whenever. well after a few weeks. im trying to have my car done by april 16th. so i can go to a 240sx meet and so i can go to RA that sat or sun. are you going then?

My kouki will be running at RA that Saturday. Are you really planning on running your S13 at RA that weekend? If so get it signed up in D! You have any stuff done to the brakes on that car?

As for the whole motor thing...

Being perfectly serious. There is a reason that many people put an SR in the car, and the reason that it is in the car from the factory. The SR is a fantastic platform in the 240. Truthfully as a great all-around setup it is still one of the best ways to go. Inexpensive, light, HUGE parts availability, can make decent power, easy to work on, fits perfectly, etc. etc.

It will never be king of the horsepower latter really, but at the same time how many people *really* need over 400whp in an S-chassis (especially a light one with an SR in it). FWIW, while I am on the road courses I have my boost down as low as it goes, and even beyond that I knock out some timing from the car just to keep it somewhat manageable.

Also think about this for a second:
C6 Z06 weight/hp = 3100lb/440whp = 7.04 lbs per whp
S14 with 400whp SR = 2800lb/400whp = 7 lbs per whp

So yea I'll bet everyone discussing this can't truly exploit a c6 z06 on track, so what makes you think you can handle the 240?

As for drag racing, fucking around on the streets, and on the highway and overall "uniqueness"... I agree the SR isn't anything special.

nismodave
03-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Scissor doors and Neon lights were considered Unique. Ill take the trade off.

I had never really gave a shit about being different even when I was one of the first people in the Midwest to do the swap. I have always been concerned about decent power and reliablity.

And I sure did learn my lesson on those. The info and knowledge available now on Turbo motor from Japan is 100x then when i got into this shit.

cool_kat
03-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Everyone should have just kept the KA.. haha jk

nismodave
03-18-2010, 02:05 PM
Everyone should have just kept the KA.. haha jk

Some very quick KAs out there. :thumbsup

gottwins?
03-23-2010, 02:52 PM
KA FTW!

Someday im going to put a VG30DETT into a 240....someday.....

http://www.cargurus.com/images/2009/06/26/09/28/pic-37356.jpeg