PDA

View Full Version : Blockbuster closing down on browndeer...anyone need dvd cases?

Yooformula
03-15-2010, 12:42 AM
They stopped renting today and are just selling everything off cheap. if you need cases, they have tons they will give out too. brown deer rd next to lowes and the american tv.

That_Guy
03-15-2010, 10:18 AM
They closed the one in oconomowoc. When i went in it seemed really picked over. I think they are fully closed now.

Exitspeed
03-15-2010, 10:21 AM
Their stores are dropping like flies.

Waver
03-15-2010, 10:30 AM
The best buy buy Northridge is closing too, still some good deals left.

77thor
03-15-2010, 12:02 PM
76th & Rawson store - Closed TODAY

pOrk
03-15-2010, 12:46 PM
See ya! Place was a rip off anyhow

Crawlin
03-15-2010, 01:04 PM
how the hell are these places closing? how does a best buy close? how does a home depot close?

i understand blockbuster since the redbox stuff has been taking alot of business away.

Exitspeed
03-15-2010, 01:52 PM
how the hell are these places closing? how does a best buy close? how does a home depot close?

i understand blockbuster since the redbox stuff has been taking alot of business away.

BB is having a tough go because of the internet. CC was the first big victim.

I mean why would someone pay more at a store unless it's something they need RIGHT AWAY. Which is usually not the case for me. I like to do mass amounts of research before any bigger long term purchases. Or even things like memory cards. I'm not gonna may $25 for one at BB when I can have the same card delivered to my door in 3 days for $7 shipped.

I haven't been into a BB in a while. Hell I don't even buy CD's there anymore. But that's the music industries fault, not BB. :durr

Crawlin
03-15-2010, 02:00 PM
While I will agree the internet has a huge impact.....

That's small shit though. Those are things that aren't even money producers for them(i don't consider even a $18 profit a money producer)

And thats for the tech savy generation like us. My dad does a TON of research for all the crap he buys. He would still go to BB for a TV/home theater/laptop/desktop rather than any other place because he can then go back with questions if he has them.

And if that were true, then we'd be seeing a TON of best buy's closing. Why isn't southridge closing? Why did Mayfair just get a new store? You'd figure they'd close down either S.R. or Brookfield since those two are so close to each other.

Know what I mean?

Exitspeed
03-15-2010, 02:15 PM
I bought all of my camera stuff on Amazon and didn't think twice. I spent $1700. That's considered a bigger purchase. BB wanted SO Much more for the body and the lens and cards that there was NO WAY I would have purchased through them. I don't think it's an end to the stores by any means. There's still a consumer that wants to shop at a store. But for someone like me that isn't afraid to spend money online, they've lost us because of their high prices. Only reason I'd go into a BB now would be if I was going to buy a TV. But just to see them in person and get a feel for them. Then I'd go to Amazon or Newegg and make the purchase and save my self some cash.

I don't know that the solution is other then matching online prices. Which might shut the stores down even quicker.

PB86MCSS
03-15-2010, 07:28 PM
When I worked at Best Buy they thought their main competitor was/would be Wal Mart, crap or no service but can't beat their prices. Circuit City was struggling at the time and it seemed only a matter of time before they were gone. This was back in 02'-04' ish. I think the economy is a factor plus the Northridge store was probably one of their weaker ones for quite some time. They opened a bunch of new ones in the last few years, the one in the Falls right off 45 surely took away some business from the one closing. It seems a few of the big stores aren't doing so hot on the northside, big surprise.

Blockbuster has been hurt by Red Box but it's been hurting for quite some time before Red Box, Netflix took a big cut of their pie too. Blockbuster in New Berlin has been or was "closing" for awhile and the Hollywood Video off State in Tosa is closing too. Video rentals have been a slowly dying breed.

Cutlass Queen
03-15-2010, 09:19 PM
While I will agree the internet has a huge impact.....

That's small shit though. Those are things that aren't even money producers for them(i don't consider even a $18 profit a money producer)

And thats for the tech savy generation like us. My dad does a TON of research for all the crap he buys. He would still go to BB for a TV/home theater/laptop/desktop rather than any other place because he can then go back with questions if he has them.

And if that were true, then we'd be seeing a TON of best buy's closing. Why isn't southridge closing? Why did Mayfair just get a new store? You'd figure they'd close down either S.R. or Brookfield since those two are so close to each other.

Know what I mean?

A while back I heard the BB by northridge was suppose to close since the BB off of the county line road exit was replacing it. Talked to a worker there and they said they resigned the lease for a while since Menards, Pick n Save, etc was bringing that area back a bit. Looks like it's finally being replaced with the newer BB in germantown.

05caddyext
03-15-2010, 10:30 PM
Walmart sells 1 out of every 6 tvs sold in the U.S. Walmart is the #1 electronics retailer in the world. Best Buy is a ripoff the only advantage they have is that they offer 0% financing.

Exitspeed
03-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Blockbuster in New Berlin has been or was "closing" for awhile

Yeah that closed a couple months ago now.

Waver
03-16-2010, 09:36 AM
I am willing to bet that one of the biggest things that is causing them to close is the area. From what I have been told, that best buy location has had one of the highest rates of shoplifting in the district. Plus, why go to that one when you have the Fox Point location as well as the one in the falls? As for blockbuster, well that was bound to happen, with dvd prices getting cheaper, the fact you can resell them now, all of the piracy of the dvd's net flix, dvr's I mean come on, it was bound to happen

Exitspeed
03-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Anyone remember when Blockbuster put all the mom and pop video rental places out of business almost single-handedly? Looks like they got a taste of their own medicine.

88Nightmare
03-16-2010, 11:36 AM
Anyone remember when Blockbuster put all the mom and pop video rental places out of business almost single-handedly? Looks like they got a taste of their own medicine.

this.

fuck blockbuster. been on the netflix plan for well over a year now and don't want it any other way :thumbsup

Crawlin
03-16-2010, 01:37 PM
I am willing to bet that one of the biggest things that is causing them to close is the area. From what I have been told, that best buy location has had one of the highest rates of shoplifting in the district. Plus, why go to that one when you have the Fox Point location as well as the one in the falls?

That's racist....

Yooformula
03-16-2010, 01:55 PM
I have used the bblockbuster mail in rentals for several years and imo you cant beat it. I get 3 rentals mailed to me, then when I renturn them I get 3 more rentals in house free as the next batch of 3 rentals are being sent. I pay $19 for the month and can average 6-9 rentals a week. With 3 different aged kids, there's always a ton of movies to rent for them, I dont know of any other rental place that can give you that many rentals for so cheap. fuck netflix and waiting for mailers then having to mail them back. I pass a blockbuster everywhere and can return a mailer there and not have to wait for another movie.

Exitspeed
03-16-2010, 02:00 PM
I pass a blockbuster everywhere and can return a mailer there...

Not for long. lol.

But yeah I get what you mean.

Karps TA
03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
I like Blockbuster myself. I rarely rent movies, just when I'm really bored. So to pay a monthly fee is a waste. I like being able to just pop in and find something. Even more so for video games renting. It'll suck if all the rental places go under.

I downloaded my first movie online from Netflicks on the PS3 this weekend, and that sucked. Took like an hour before I felt the download was far enough along to start watching, and then no extras. Plus the whole 24 hour timeframe to finish watching sucks.

Exitspeed
03-16-2010, 02:28 PM
I like Blockbuster myself. I rarely rent movies, just when I'm really bored. So to pay a monthly fee is a waste. I like being able to just pop in and find something. Even more so for video games renting. It'll suck if all the rental places go under.

[QUOTE=Karps TA;627141]I downloaded my first movie online from Netflicks on the PS3 this weekend, and that sucked. Took like an hour before I felt the download was far enough along to start watching, and then no extras. Plus the whole 24 hour timeframe to finish watching sucks.

They are too expensive. Like $12.xx for two movies. Fuck that noise. I can do the same thing with Redbox and pay only a buck per movie.

And with PS3 and 360 you don't actually have toe Dl the movie, you just need to stream it.

Karps TA
03-16-2010, 02:54 PM
Huh? I think it's like $3.99 a movie to rent over night.

And streaming is great, until you hit a blip in your internet and you start buffering. Hence the reason why I wanted the movie half way downloaded.

Exitspeed
03-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Huh? I think it's like $3.99 a movie to rent over night.

And streaming is great, until you hit a blip in your internet and you start buffering. Hence the reason why I wanted the movie half way downloaded.

That is still 4x the price of Redbox. Sure there's more selection at Blockbuster, but not 4 x the price better.

I know plenty of people that stream flicks on Netflicks and I haven't heard anyone complain of that problem.