PDA

View Full Version : Shock Collar

Korndogg
03-13-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm wondering how long its ok to keep a shock collar on a dog. I've heard mixed things. What I have heard the most is up to 12 hours and then you should take it off for a while because it can irritate the neck.

michelle
03-13-2010, 03:08 PM
Why do you need to utilize a shock collar? Have you tried positive reinforcement? Or even the NILIF method?

Korndogg
03-13-2010, 03:35 PM
yes I have, its for when shes outside. She's a runner and I want her to get used to the collar. Shes overall a good dog inside but I want it as a backup for when shes outside. She already got away from me up north and I almost lost her.

michelle
03-13-2010, 03:51 PM
Oh, gotcha! I have seen people use them all the time (24 hrs), but I would imagine the least amount of time, the better. I've known people who have forgotten to take it off when they leave the driveway (if there invisible fence is at the end) - doesn't make for a happy dog.

As for a certain time, I am not sure. You could call manufacturers and ask them, or even ask the Invisible Fence company.

Korndogg
03-13-2010, 04:26 PM
i would if it was for an invisible fence but its just a handheld shock collar. maybe i will just call the company

michelle
03-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Lola came with an Innotek remote trainer. The user guide says no more than 12 consecutive hours, but I would check daily to see if there are any sores or irritation.

I've only used it as a backup while doing recall training in the yard. My beagle is scared to death of the noise it makes. Must have had a previous experience with it before we adopted him.

94greenbandit
03-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Why don't you just put it on when she goes outside

Cryptic
03-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Why don't you just put it on when she goes outside

As long as they don't learn they can run when it isn't on them.

94greenbandit
03-13-2010, 06:04 PM
But if he puts it on her before she goes outside, she will learn as soon as she starts getting zapped that outside means pain if I try to run

Korndogg
03-13-2010, 06:53 PM
well I live in an apartment. I pretty much have to have the leash on her around here at all times. The only time I want to take her off the leash is up north or my parents house.

Turbo-Triumph
03-13-2010, 07:00 PM
my Mom and her ex used to have a dog that constantly barked. She put the shock collar on and to the best of my knowledge, never removed it.

If i were you, I would put it on only when needed. IMO theyre cruel devices.

The only problem i forsee with you using it the way you intend, the dog might be able to sprint out of the collars range before you push the button. Also your dog will hate you.

Korndogg
03-13-2010, 07:04 PM
well the collar has a 1/4 mile range so yeah....and also I have never shocked her. I use the vibrate function and that has always stopped her from doing anything shes not supposed to.

Yooformula
03-14-2010, 09:52 AM
I had to get a bark collar for ours and I was told it was no more than 8 hours. I couldnt take the retarded barking everytime someone was within a block of the house.....

flyin_blue_egg
03-14-2010, 08:42 PM
how hard is the invisable fence to instal?? my wife and i are moving to a town house in milwaukee that allows us to get a dog, but the back yard isn't fenced in.

lilws6
03-14-2010, 09:20 PM
a buddy of mine had a lab that will run if you don't have the collar on him. If you take it off he seems to sometimes have selective hearing. but when hes got the collar on he's damn near perfect. weather using it or not. but for the most part they only use he beep function he seems to stop when he hears that but if he doesn't they have the shock as back up. the shock isnt acually that bad. i was playing with it turned all the way up and yea it jerks ya but its a learning tool :) you would learn if that zapped ya. they have it turned way down also no need in having it way up if they'll get the point at a much lower voltage

Korndogg
03-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Yeah like I said, I only have used the vibrate function and she has stopped what she was doing every time. I only have the dial set on 25% for if I ever did have to shock her. I tested it on myself too to see how the power settings worked to make sure it wasn't too much seeing as shes only 30lbs. Shes just so hyper. Shes a black lab mixed with a jack russel terrier.

lilws6
03-14-2010, 10:03 PM
yea theres is a black lab and he is super hyper still but he hears the beep and stops they leave it on all day as far as i know i always see it on him unless the battery is dead

Korndogg
03-14-2010, 10:04 PM
yeah ive been leaving it on her until we go to bed so i think thats what im going to keep doing.