PDA

View Full Version : New Ford diesel 34mpg??????

BOSS LX
03-12-2010, 03:36 PM
:wooo
So a 390hp and 735ft-lb that gets mid 20's on the norm?
http://www.thefordstory.com/green/journalists-squeeze-2011-ford-super-duty%C2%AE-for-impressive-fuel-economy/

Al
03-12-2010, 03:41 PM
They are "squeezing" the fuel econ out. Still impressive, none the less.

On a good day, I can squeeze 30 out of my Oldsmobile.

T-Bag
03-12-2010, 10:18 PM
Damn that's some impressive shit right there!

Russ Jerome
03-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Thats gonna be a HOT seller if it proves true and not "factory tuned" and hand picked.
The Scorpion motor would be more than doubling the Powerstrokes milage.

BAD LS1
03-13-2010, 06:37 AM
Thats cool and all but doesnt mention anywhere if it was an avg or instant? They were basically hyper-milling them to boost the numbers with their unique driving tips, but who the hell drives like that besides people in hybrids? My TBSS will get 30 mpg in the right occasion too but still avgs 16.

DoubleAron
03-13-2010, 08:25 AM
If I had more time I would love to go back in time and read all the great things people were saying about the 6.0 and the 6.4 when they were about to come out.

We all know how those turned out.:rolf

DirtyMax
03-13-2010, 08:35 AM
Sounds like they had to go to great, even unrealistic, feats to achieve 34mpg. I'd like to draft a line of semis at 45mph and see how i could do.

I dislike the DPF crap on my truck and now you have to add this Urea shit to the new diesels too?!? Nonsense I tell ya.

T-Bag
03-13-2010, 10:48 AM
I thought it was all bullshit until the one dude drove from arizona up to chicago averaging 28 mpg. Then again he did say he drove like a turd. The numbers seem pretty good though.

edit: Also Tom, they weren't reading the overhead MPG deal by the sounds of it. If they were going by that I'd call bullshit on the whole thing because I can get my truck to read 38mpg on those stupid things at times. Those things are NEVER right, especially the instant readings.

SmokinRAM114
03-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Sounds like they had to go to great, even unrealistic, feats to achieve 34mpg. I'd like to draft a line of semis at 45mph and see how i could do.

I dislike the DPF crap on my truck and now you have to add this Urea shit to the new diesels too?!? Nonsense I tell ya.

Take that junk off lol john at huckstorf was saying he has a hand full of customers with chevys with the dpf removed n they pass emissions with flying colors

Russ Jerome
03-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Any Ford diesel that gets close to Cummins legendary fuel milage is gonna be a huge leap for Ford. Dodges getting over 20mpg towing is common, Fords getting less than 10mpg unloaded is even more common! We have F-350s in stock with 7.3/6.0/6.4 turds you can get a great deal on, Badger truck West Aliis and St Paul....bet they are getting cheaper by the day as people read these proposed Scorpion reports.

Russ Jerome
03-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Oh and I work on Isuzu's daily so I hate them too!

DirtyMax
03-13-2010, 01:28 PM
Take that junk off lol john at huckstorf was saying he has a hand full of customers with chevys with the dpf removed n they pass emissions with flying colors

Yeah I know but I like my 100k mile warranty too... If the DPF falls off, the warranty goes buhbye... :mad:

BAD LS1
03-13-2010, 01:57 PM
The Cummins has the leg up though, equal or better torque with 2 less cylinders, naturally its gonna have the best chance at the highest avg MPG. Judging by the info that was posted a while ago about this new knockin' mill from camp blue oval, it looks like a real mechanical asshole to me! So time will tell if its on the same course as the 2 prior PSD's.

Smokey1226
03-13-2010, 10:18 PM
Any Ford diesel that gets close to Cummins legendary fuel milage is gonna be a huge leap for Ford. Dodges getting over 20mpg towing is common, Fords getting less than 10mpg unloaded is even more common! We have F-350s in stock with 7.3/6.0/6.4 turds you can get a great deal on, Badger truck West Aliis and St Paul....bet they are getting cheaper by the day as people read these proposed Scorpion reports.
at 65-68mph, my cummins will average 21.5 mpg by hand and (24 on overhead) with 35's. I wouldnt trade that for anything!

T-Bag
03-14-2010, 12:19 AM
The Cummins has the leg up though, equal or better torque with 2 less cylinders, naturally its gonna have the best chance at the highest avg MPG. Judging by the info that was posted a while ago about this new knockin' mill from camp blue oval, it looks like a real mechanical asshole to me! So time will tell if its on the same course as the 2 prior PSD's.

This is true

The MPG thing doesn't change the fact that these things are going to be huge steaming piles of shit that'll cost you your first born to fix.

at 65-68mph, my cummins will average 21.5 mpg by hand and (24 on overhead) with 35's. I wouldnt trade that for anything!

Yeah I love my truck, they really seem to love staying around 57-60 mph with 0 effort, then you can watch the overhead read 39 mpg's! haha.