PDA

View Full Version : eye surgery - possible detached retina

Silver86
03-11-2010, 05:39 AM
anyone ever have eye surgery? just looking for what to expect. i still dont know what the prognosis is (gonna make an appointment in the morning) but my left eye is showing signs of a partial detached retina (occasional flashing lines in peripheral vision). kinda freaking out a little bit...

Holeshot
03-11-2010, 06:11 AM
I had eye surgery years ago. A small piece of diamond broke off a road saw I was operating. Went through my safety glasses and hit my left eye. It was a pretty painless surgery. It was the itching during the healing that bothered me most. Just make sure you follow post op instructions with the drops and most of all keep your fingers away from your eye. My wife had cataract surgery on both eyes and she did very well.

Don't freak you will be fine. Ill keep yah in our prayers.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-11-2010, 06:36 AM
Good luck Mikey.

pOrk
03-11-2010, 09:04 AM
Uncle had a detached retina, after the surgery he had to keep his head facing the ground for 5 weeks.

Karps TA
03-11-2010, 09:14 AM
From what I've heard with detached retina's you'll be stuck having to keep your head still for quite a while, like a couple weeks.

Now if they catch it before it's completely detached that can do things either with a lazer or by freezing. I had to have a hole repaired several years ago. They did the freezing method. Basically they numbed up the eye a bunch with some drops, then stuck something about the size of a the ink cartridge in a pen between my eye and my skull. They froze the hole close then with something like liquid nitrogen. I then had equivilant to a ice cream headache for about 8 hours. Shitty process, but better then having the fulyl detached surgery.

Silver86
03-11-2010, 03:10 PM
got my appointment scheduled for monday @ 1:45.

WhatsADSM
03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
best of luck man. Keep us posted on how it goes!

nismodave
03-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Good luck, Mike.

OxmanWI
03-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I hate eye stuff, best of luck to you bro!

JaMichaels
03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
I had eye surgery years ago. A small piece of diamond broke off a road saw I was operating. Went through my safety glasses and hit my left eye. It was a pretty painless surgery. It was the itching during the healing that bothered me most. Just make sure you follow post op instructions with the drops and most of all keep your fingers away from your eye. My wife had cataract surgery on both eyes and she did very well.

Don't freak you will be fine. Ill keep yah in our prayers.

I would be suing the shit out of the Safety Glasses company.. Yikes.

(Back on topic) :wooo

RanJer
03-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Best of luck to ya Man. Hope everything goes great.

Silver86
03-15-2010, 04:16 PM
back from the appointment... both of my retinas are healthy. turns out that excess caffeine can cause effects that mimic a migraine or retina problems. the optometrist went into detail on how this can happen... something about the blood vessels in the back of the eye... cant remember exactly how it went. so... i pretty much have to cut back on the caffeine... not a big deal, better off that way anyways.

thanks all for the positive feedback... :)

WhatsADSM
03-15-2010, 04:18 PM
Wow... well that's great news. Glad to hear that everything worked out better than expected.

I guess just one more reason to not to drink too much caffeine.

animal
03-15-2010, 04:40 PM
back from the appointment... both of my retinas are healthy. turns out that excess caffeine can cause effects that mimic a migraine or retina problems. the optometrist went into detail on how this can happen... something about the blood vessels in the back of the eye... cant remember exactly how it went. so... i pretty much have to cut back on the caffeine... not a big deal, better off that way anyways.

thanks all for the positive feedback... :)

Was it an optic or ocular migraine? How long did it last that you went to see a doc about it? I've gotten these 3 times before all seemingly at random though now that you mention it i distinctly remember drinking sodas before two of them. Usually flashy zigzag patterns in the periferals sometimes it even looks like the top of a castle or collidescope. For me, they would always last 15-20 minutes in the eyes, then nothing, then 10 minutes later the worst headache i ever had. Definately scary the first time though, makes your brain race thinking you're going blind or something.

Did you have problems talking during or right after it happened? I read once they can include stroke-like symptoms, and sure as shit the one time i had one at the gym, i knew what i wanted to say but i couldn't say it, i was like mumbling nonsense trying to talk to my friend. Heh. Kinda funny looking back actually. He prolly thought i was on crack or something.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious.

Silver86
03-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Was it an optic or ocular migraine? How long did it last that you went to see a doc about it? I've gotten these 3 times before all seemingly at random though now that you mention it i distinctly remember drinking sodas before two of them. Usually flashy zigzag patterns in the periferals sometimes it even looks like the top of a castle or collidescope. For me, they would always last 15-20 minutes in the eyes, then nothing, then 10 minutes later the worst headache i ever had. Definately scary the first time though, makes your brain race thinking you're going blind or something.

Did you have problems talking during or right after it happened? I read once they can include stroke-like symptoms, and sure as shit the one time i had one at the gym, i knew what i wanted to say but i couldn't say it, i was like mumbling nonsense trying to talk to my friend. Heh. Kinda funny looking back actually. He prolly thought i was on crack or something.

Glad to hear it wasn't anything more serious.

i actually didnt get any headache after it happened and when id did happen they would usually last maybe 30min to an hour... they fade away. the flashy jagged lines in my peripheral vision is exactly what happened... right before it happened the 2nd time last week (last wed) while i was making lunch, it felt like my left arm wasnt attached to my body... i could still use it just fine and i still had feeling in it (i checked with a fork). it was the weirdest feeling ever... almost kinda comical...

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-15-2010, 05:07 PM
cut back on the Dew.

Silver86
03-15-2010, 05:16 PM
cut back on the Dew.

already did...