PDA

View Full Version : 8th grade algebra question...wtf?

07ROUSHSTG3
03-10-2010, 07:48 PM
so my lil sis calls and says that she has an algebra question that she needs help with. i am thinking that it is a misprint on the worksheet. so here it is..

x + y = 15
x * y = 16

what is value of x and y.

domokun
03-10-2010, 07:57 PM
thats a typo, it doesnt work.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
thats a typo, it doesnt work.

thats what i figured. just needed backup, LOL! thanks.

lilws6
03-10-2010, 07:59 PM
gata be a typo you should have a number for oe of the x or y's in the equation and the number that = should be an x or y if that makes sence

michelle
03-10-2010, 08:01 PM
No it makes sense. Give me a second to type it up using equation symbols.

Karps TA
03-10-2010, 08:07 PM
Tell her not to worry about it, she'll never need to know that unless she's trapped on an island without a computer.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Tell her not to worry about it, she'll never need to know that unless she's trapped on an island without a computer.

:rolf:rolf:rolf

michelle
03-10-2010, 08:27 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/one.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/reupertm/two.jpg

michelle
03-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Alright now for the details:

1. Solve for one of the variables in the first equation. I chose X.
2. Plug into second equation and arrange to get it into an AX^2 + BX + C = 0 format.
3. Use given equation to solve for X. (students are given this and told to memorize it)
4. The final answers can be for either X or Y since X + Y = 15.

Student should typically leave it in the form of -15+(Square root of 161) / -2 and then -15-(Square root of 161)/-2 , but having an "estimated" answer is helpful too.

ETA: Sorry my handwriting sucks when writing quickly. Well it sucks in general too.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Alright now for the details:

1. Solve for one of the variables in the first equation. I chose X.
2. Plug into second equation and arrange to get it into an AX^2 + BX + C = 0 format.
3. Use given equation to solve for X. (students are given this and told to memorize it)
4. The final answers can be for either X or Y since X + Y = 15.

Student should typically leave it in the form of -15+(Square root of 161) / -2 and then -15-(Square root of 161)/-2 , but having an "estimated" answer is helpful too.

ETA: Sorry my handwriting sucks when writing quickly. Well it sucks in general too.

:stare

michelle
03-10-2010, 08:35 PM
< Math geek and licensed to teach 1-8 math. (:

Nix
03-10-2010, 08:38 PM

Fuck you for giving me a headache!! :rolf :goof

SSLEVO
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM

Haha, i have a fricking engineering degree and hardly remember that. Nice work :thumbsup My brain sucks, use it or lose it is deff. my case, lol.

lilws6
03-10-2010, 09:00 PM
why the F*CK would i really need to know all that BS???

Karps TA
03-10-2010, 09:02 PM
http://xc2.xanga.com/0bcc224653435154970518/m115956735.gif

Ricky Bobby
03-10-2010, 09:05 PM
Fuck you for giving me a headache!! :rolf :goof+1 :rolf

SSLEVO
03-10-2010, 09:09 PM
http://xc2.xanga.com/0bcc224653435154970518/m115956735.gif

That one is too easy, 3-4-5 triangle. No math needed:goof

hrsp
03-10-2010, 10:21 PM
hmmm maybe i found a math tutor for my retarded ass....lol

Rocket Power
03-10-2010, 10:36 PM

They've changed the way they teach math now. It took me a while to figure out how to help my 4th grader with the multiplication using the way they were showing how to do it. I think it'll only get harder from here:rolf

hotshift13
03-10-2010, 11:50 PM
Uggg my head hurts, I need another drink...

1320PNY
03-10-2010, 11:55 PM
Thanks for the refresher. Now lets map fuel curves using Calculus for diverging DA values! Go Michelle!

95 TA - The Beast
03-11-2010, 12:21 AM
So, if rounding works, it would be perfectly acceptable to answer it as:

X = 1.15
Y = 13.85

Correct?

I estimated that to begin with but knew the multiplication answer wouldn't be exact.

My oldest is in 6th grade and it amazing what they are teaching in regards to math. Hell, when I was in high school most kids didn't get this stuff until advanced algebra at least... My oldest is already getting some really funky algebraic stuff... Biggest issue I am running into is the methodology they teach seems to be a building block type of system and I was always the type that took as many short-cuts as possible to get it done quicker. So now my son gets the benefit of multiple methodologies. My biggest issue is not having a study guide to the way THEY want it learned, thus I have him explain THIER method to me after I already figure out how I explain my method to him. End result is he can double check his own work with mutliple methods.

The biggest issue I am running into is along with this set of problems, is that estimates are being accepted, where-as when I was in school it was exact math to a given decimal place...

Also now-a-days they expect usage of calculators and computers, which is fine for me since computers are kinda my 'thing', but I do feel sorry for non-technical parents as they must be completely lost when thier kids ask for help.

70 cutlass 442
03-11-2010, 02:19 AM
She will never use that crap in the real world unless she plans on teaching 8th grade algebra for a living....

animal
03-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Knowing how to set up a quadratic equation FTW. Nice michelle.

I loved the typo comment. Cause apparently anything that doesn't work with integers is a typo :rolf :rolleyes:

As for real world needs for such an answer... surely you could find a mundane instance you'd need to know this. Or perhaps maybe it's just to help someone out who is trying to learn it. I'd venture to say the people that rely on a calculator would've had a hard time setting this up to allow the calc to solve it also. "You'll never need it" is such a predictable answer. It's amazing people graduate H.S.

But don't worry the math enabled people are here for when you can't figure shit out and call it impossible. :shades

Exitspeed
03-11-2010, 09:37 AM
The answer is 7.

Karps TA
03-11-2010, 09:47 AM
The answer is 7.

I thought the answer was 42?

domokun
03-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Knowing how to set up a quadratic equation FTW. Nice michelle.

I loved the typo comment. Cause apparently anything that doesn't work with integers is a typo :rolf :rolleyes:

As for real world needs for such an answer... surely you could find a mundane instance you'd need to know this. Or perhaps maybe it's just to help someone out who is trying to learn it. I'd venture to say the people that rely on a calculator would've had a hard time setting this up to allow the calc to solve it also. "You'll never need it" is such a predictable answer. It's amazing people graduate H.S.

But don't worry the math enabled people are here for when you can't figure shit out and call it impossible. :shades

I was just going off basic knowledge of finding a number for a answer.

x and y can be the answer? lol. also, when I read it quickly, I thought and y needed to be the same #. hence why I said its not do able

fivonut
03-11-2010, 10:06 AM

I would reword your final statement. It leads one to think x could = 13.844 and y could equal 13.844 simultaneously, which obviously isn't true. When x= 13.844, f(x)= 1.1557 or, when x=1.1557, f(x) = 13.844. Other than that, damn fine work!!

WickedSix
03-11-2010, 10:14 AM
using a calculator to solve this is a pretty simple use of the solve function....

when I was in HS we had to use exact answers meaning we'd show the root form prior to the decimal calulation....

wait til she asks you for help with numerical analysis or differential equations :thumbsup

animal
03-11-2010, 10:21 AM
I was just going off basic knowledge of finding a number for a answer.

x and y can be the answer? lol. also, when I read it quickly, I thought and y needed to be the same #. hence why I said its not do able

heh, hard to even make sense of your explanation.

It's ok it's not your fault man.

Nix
03-11-2010, 10:34 AM
I was never any good at math and I failed it. FML :durr :rolf

michelle
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Math is fun!

Sure there may not be a real world story problem to go with this type of math, but math also teaches you about problem solving and challenging yourself. That's why I have always enjoyed the subject. It's a little sense of accomplishment when a problem gets solved.

I'm always doing math in my head, especially while driving. Take for instance when I know how many miles until I get to my destination, I figure out how many minutes it will take to get there based on my speed and then the change in time when I increase/decrease my speed. Then at the track, you can start throwing in angles and some geometry around corners (that's when you go left and right, for you 1/4 mile folk). :goof

Then throw in prepping a car with suspension, spring rates, weight adjustments front to back and side to side, etc. I could go on and on. A lot of times you use math and you don't even realize it.

It's all math! (:

Al
03-11-2010, 03:58 PM
Did the quadratic equation come to the rescue?

lordairgtar
03-12-2010, 01:09 AM
And just what was the point of that equation? Will I ever use it in real life?

TheRX7Project
03-12-2010, 03:11 AM

You're old. You tell us? Did you ever come across a situation where this would've come in handy?

The ONLY non-basic math I've ever used is geometry, for figuring out effective gear ratios when comparing tire sizes and other measurement situations.

That_Guy
03-12-2010, 04:52 AM
You're old. You tell us? Did you ever come across a situation where this would've come in handy?

The ONLY non-basic math I've ever used is geometry, for figuring out effective gear ratios when comparing tire sizes and other measurement situations.

Doing load bearing calculations you use crap like that. I know in my college physics last year they had us doing bs equations as a warm up and refresher. :rolleyes: In the real world you dont need to do the math yourself there are programs like math cad that does it for you. Math cad is well worth the money.

you plug in the problem and it does the work for you and shows you how it got the answer.
http://www.ptc.com/products/mathcad/

lilws6
03-12-2010, 09:01 AM
Math is fun!

Sure there may not be a real world story problem to go with this type of math, but math also teaches you about problem solving and challenging yourself. That's why I have always enjoyed the subject. It's a little sense of accomplishment when a problem gets solved.

I'm always doing math in my head, especially while driving. Take for instance when I know how many miles until I get to my destination, I figure out how many minutes it will take to get there based on my speed and then the change in time when I increase/decrease my speed. Then at the track, you can start throwing in angles and some geometry around corners (that's when you go left and right, for you 1/4 mile folk). :goof

Then throw in prepping a car with suspension, spring rates, weight adjustments front to back and side to side, etc. I could go on and on. A lot of times you use math and you don't even realize it.

It's all math! (:

maths not fun blowing stuff up in science class was fun :)

Rocket Power
03-12-2010, 10:57 AM
http://paxarcana.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/nerds.jpg

:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

Al
03-12-2010, 03:49 PM

On rare equations, I will find myself working with such equations for my woodworking projects.

Crawlin
03-12-2010, 04:19 PM
using a calculator to solve this is a pretty simple use of the solve function....

when I was in HS we had to use exact answers meaning we'd show the root form prior to the decimal calulation....

wait til she asks you for help with numerical analysis or differential equations :thumbsup

I do NOT envy the guys having to take that differential equationsand statics at the same time next semester, haha. Construction Management degree FTW! 2 less calculus classes and no diff EQ class, haha.

Crawlin
03-12-2010, 04:22 PM

I want to build a fenced in area of my yard. Can be rectangular. I have 1000ft of fencing. I only need three sides fenced since the 4th side will be a river.

What's the largest square footage I could come up with and what would be the dimensions of the sides?

Will result in a similar equation and the use of these "unnecessary" principles :) hahaha

i gotta razz a little bit

animal
03-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I do NOT envy the guys having to take that differential equationsand statics at the same time next semester, haha. Construction Management degree FTW! 2 less calculus classes and no diff EQ class, haha.

I thought diff eq's was the easiest of the 6 calc classes i took in college :crazyeyes:cool:

SSLEVO
03-12-2010, 06:08 PM
I thought diff eq's was the easiest of the 6 calc classes i took in college :crazyeyes:cool:

6 calc classes??? Are you a math major? I did find calc II to be a bitch and dif eq to be not so bad. I didn't have to take calc III so i stayed far away, lol.