PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about learning guitar

badass88gt
03-10-2010, 01:15 AM
I am looking for a new "challenge", was thinking of trying to learn to play guitar. I'm not really looking for someone to just tell me "go take lessons", but does anyone know of any real good ways to learn at home? Thanks-Dan

MoCkiN U
03-10-2010, 01:42 AM
there are a couple of computer programs at best buy and the such that will be $30 or under that will teach you some basic cords and songs. THis will show you diagrams and videos of which fret and string to hold while also playing the song in various speeds. Sometime like that would work so you could play, pause, rewind and such while trying to get down the melody its teaching. STick with it and it can be fun and hugely rewarding at the same time but dont give up when the finger tips start to hurt. They will toughen up

There are also some dvds out there but I havent tried any of those like estabans stuff he sells on shopping networks and such

Karps TA
03-10-2010, 07:30 AM
Trying to learn guitar was one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. It takes some crazy finger coordination. I give big props to anyone who can actually play one. I ended up giving up on it.

Should have realized it wasn't for me when I can't even play guitar hero past easy level.

animal
03-10-2010, 08:50 AM
The best learning thing I ever did for guitar was guitar 101 in college. Second was finding lots of tablature on the OLGA when it was still up and having the ability to play by ear. Aside from that 1 semester class I took, I've been self taught on guitar for 15 years and I still kinda suck at it though I can play parts of most songs and have it turn out recognizable.

Ultimately I'd love to be able to be one of those guys that can just pick one up at the music store and bust out some blues solo piece that amazes all. In practice, I sound like the 6th grade band when i try to do that. I really need someone to show me where to start with something like that. The online "learn to play guitar solo" stuff was boring if not useless to me. So now I'm just stuck playing stairway i guess :goof

Where to start kindof depends on background. Most people are going to tell you to take "online courses" or go stare at chord charts all day. Do you play another instrument? Having an ear for it certainly helps in the self teaching game. The way I started was simply listening to music and trying to play along with it. You don't need to go spend a grand on a new axe either. Go find something used for 100 bux with a practice amp or get an accoustic on the cheap and become one of those hippy guys with all the girls surrounding him at the beach. ;)