PDA

View Full Version : first day of work

Gregor
03-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Well I am back to work today. And after 6 months of unemployment, I have to say it feels good to be back to work. I am not in Wisconsin but rather in Indiana. I had to ride down here with my boss. That was a 6 hour drive from Chicago. Luckly my boss is cool and am looking forard to my actual first day of work tomorrow.

I have to go to Indianapolis on Thursday, and then I drive home on Friday. I am a little conserned about rush hour traffic thru Chicago. Anyone know what is the best time to avoid it? Or better ways to get home?

Now I can really buy some go fast parts for my Mustang once I get back on my feet.

Prince Valiant
03-08-2010, 08:46 PM
good luck and enjoy working!

Reverend Cooper
03-08-2010, 09:06 PM
good for you greg.

wrath
03-08-2010, 11:03 PM
You don't want to hit Gary after 2pm on a Friday unless you wait until 7pm and then you should still take 294. The skyway isn't a safe bet until 8:30pm. I consider it "safe" when you can maintain 40mph. We almost always take 294 now as we always seem to be hitting Chicago in the close-to-peak times.

If you're going to be working there for a while get an idiotpass. I didn't get one for two and a half years and now that I've got one I can't believe I waited so long.

Gregor
03-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Yeah IPASS is already equiped on the trucks in our region. I got to see the order form for my truck today. This thing is huge, Dodge 2500 turbo diesel. I cant wait till I get tomorrow.

I started to get my basic tools today, laptop is brand new. Hopefully the rest are new also.

I am leaving from indy at 0800 hrs on friday so if I am lucky I will be at chitown at 1300 hrs. And that should keep me out of heavy traffic.

pOrk
03-09-2010, 05:30 PM
What you doin, driving? Its hard to find work, I've been looking but not much out there. Lucky for me I haven't lost my job yet, but hell it could be right around the corner.

Gregor
03-09-2010, 07:41 PM
I am a journeyman (training) for a company called KDL. I start as a installer for 9 months, then switch to a remote service tech for 9 more months then I believe that I will be in a NOC for the last 9 months. This has to deal with fiber optic transmission networking.

I really love it here so far. Travel can be rough sometimes but the pay is good. Benefits are awesome. And your left alone to do your job with very little supervision. My bosses are awesome, but don't stand for people that slack off or don't care. "You pull your weight or your fired" its just that the simple.

I was told that I might have to be in Indiana for my last 9 months. But the jury is still out on that.

I am very lucky to have found KDL, and it took some string pulling and call in a few favors to get me hired here. Otherwise I would have been in trouble in a few months. So now I am going to have to work very hard to prove my worth. Mostly in fiber optic and trouble shooting. But nothing good is ever easy.