PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Electrical Issues

03CVLX
03-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Is there anyone on here who is really good with diagnosing automotive electrical problems? I have a friend who lives nearby that bought a 03 Crown vic Interceptor. It was a squad then became a taxi and had other various owners since. This car has a bunch of weird hacks done to the electrical system. Everything for the most part works except for the front parking lights. Neither of us has any experience with electrical work and don't just wanna start disconnecting these hacks because we don't know how bad it will be when its done. If anyone is willing to help diagnose this thing shoot me a PM. Thanks, Tom

PureSound15
03-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I'm not trying to be debby downer, Tom, but that car is going to be a MESS to figure out.

Car Guy
03-07-2010, 02:31 PM
I'm not trying to be debby downer, Tom, but that car is going to be a MESS to figure out.

Yup, your friend might need to pick up a tube of lube.....:stare

03CVLX
03-07-2010, 02:40 PM
Oh trust me, We are both well aware..:rolf It really isn't terrible just 3 weird things under the hood. And a bit of a mess under the dash. Sounds bad I know, but it might end up being a couple really easy things. Just to scared to jump right into it with zero knowledge.

Turbo-Triumph
03-07-2010, 02:42 PM
can i ask why you dont just splice power in for them? shit.. if its already hacked up... who cares? just dissconnect the wires and hook them up to +/- on the headlights themselves. obviously, this isnt the proper way, and obviously they wont come on unless the headlights themselves are on.. but i dont really see any disadvantages as long as the wires arent at max capacity already.

It would be very simple to do, as well.

Reverend Cooper
03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
not to be a dick but,have you tried new bulbs? if so just use a test likght to see if the sockets have power and then a multi meter to check continuity.

03CVLX
03-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Yep, was out there with the test light already and no power going to the parking lamps. Bulbs were all changed too. Yet the turn signals and hazards portion of the circuit works fine. The end result will be wiring a brand new wire from the Lighting control Module to the two side markers and the two parking lamps in the headlights. But was hoping to find what we were missing before doing all that. I'd bet its a broken wire somewhere under the hood, Just can't find it.

03CVLX
03-07-2010, 03:12 PM
If anybody wants too, here is the thread on the Crown vic site complete with pictures. I think you should be able to view and read it without signing up.

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1992991#Post1992991

PureSound15
03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e287/quasar3210/utf-8BSU1HMDAwMDktMjAxMDAzMDUtMT-1.jpg

Holy mother of God.

03CVLX
03-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Honestly, thats fixed already. Got a new side marker harness and put it back together already. Just matched it up to my car and was fixed in 5 mins. That was the easy one. :(

PureSound15
03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Honestly, thats fixed already. Got a new side marker harness and put it back together already. Just matched it up to my car and was fixed in 5 mins. That was the easy one. :(

Good! Unfortunately, the wizard who completed that wiring fiasco probably left you some other situations that will be impossible to figure out.

Russ Jerome
03-07-2010, 07:30 PM
Dont be put off by people, its a crown vic for christ sake the wires are color coded from the headlamp switch all the way to the bulb. There are no modules in the dash like a Caddy or Lincoln checking bulb polarity or operation.

Actualy if memory serves the front and rear marker lamps are on seperate and clearly different splices to seperate them in Fords, start at the switch, you already have the wire colors visible at the marker lamp, its not rocket science its just a marker lamp!

Do you have signals up front? If not your are lacking ground for the socket.
No markers but good signals? If yes you have weak/no marker power.

Russ Jerome
03-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Remote starts and alarms are also easily removed, the OE and Aftermarket wires are clearly different in color, just requires your crimping or soldering ability to return to stock, finding the splices is the easy part, contorting your body under dash the hard part :)

03CVLX
03-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Yeah, your right Russ. It all feeds off the Lighting control module. It has signals and hazards so its a no power condition to the front parking lamps. Had the multimeter hooked up and get a zero reading.

Russ Jerome
03-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Ive got Alldata at home, shoot me a PM as you need color or splice locations, Im off Monday but in and out all day. Only thing I cant do is print screen but thats a pretty strait forward car to diag.

There are a few Vics down at Eagle auto, saw them about 3 weeks back and all newer styles (wrecks).

SSDude
03-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Go here for your wiring diagrams

http://search.ebscohost.com/Login.aspx?custid=s6945222&lp=cpidlogin.asp?custid=s6945222&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mpl.org%2Fcoldfusion%2Fall_re sults.cfm%3FSearchArgument%3Debsco&authtype=cpid

Enter your library card number or someone's to get access. Proceed to ARRChttp://search.ebscohost.com/images/autorefctr_logo.gif and select your car.
They have quite a few for the different wiring applications.

03CVLX
03-08-2010, 05:18 PM
Thanks SSDude , I will have to go and renew my Library card and go look into that. Russ, we have alot of the diagrams but I will shoot ya a PM if we need help deciphering anything. Our biggest fear is disconnecting some of this stuff that isn't on any Ford Wiring diagrams. Not sure what will happen once we cut those wires. Stupid cab company :mad:

03CVLX
03-10-2010, 02:34 PM
Well, things just got worse, He was out trying to trace and fix a few of the taped wires. And the positive tab on the fuse junction box snapped off. The car is now dead in the water. He was able to get another whole fuse box but does anyone know if the wires can be popped out of the old box and put into the replacement box or will each wire now need to be spliced together with good weatherproof connectors.