PDA

View Full Version : emissions?

JC70SS
03-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Does anyone know if I will have any problems with my WS6 with or y-pipe? I go to the West Allis location on 116th st. Does anyone know if they have rollers? I am a little nervous with the blower noise they might get suspicious.

juicedimpss
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
they plug into the obd port now,no more rollers.
as long as all your codes are in check,you should be fine

Car Guy
03-05-2010, 10:20 AM
Running vehicles on rollers is a procedure of the past, fortunately. All they will do is connect a scanner to your vehicle and check for CEL codes. If there are none you pass, simple as that.....

JC70SS
03-05-2010, 12:00 PM
I have no codes, just smells a little strong! Didn't know if they can roll it if they are suspicious? I may just go to West Bend and register it up north.

0TransAm0
03-05-2010, 12:08 PM
you have nothing to worry about. i took my H/C car in with LT's and ORY.. loud as shit. all they do is plug in to the obd system and check for codes.. then again i worked at the one i go to for 3 years...

BAD LS1
03-05-2010, 12:30 PM
joe just have me check the readiness codes before you go, my shit passed smelling a rotten old school bus.

MurphysLaw88GT
03-05-2010, 05:07 PM
joe just have me check the readiness codes before you go, my shit passed smelling a rotten old school bus.

I remember that.

As long as the readiness monitors are ok it wont matter. No codes=pass. The IM240 is gone. :thumbsup

Also, if you guys don't like dragging your stuff out in the salt you can have the month your plates expire changed to a more friendly month. I remember people with nice cars bringing them out in the salt just for the test. They were glad to change the month the renewal came. YMMV.

PB86MCSS
03-05-2010, 05:15 PM
Or just change the "county the vehicle is kept in" to a non emissions county on the back of your registration card and not bother wasting time going to the tests :D .

chargedformula
03-05-2010, 05:38 PM
my car is also kept in another county. i heard they were catching on and getting more strict. has anyone had them want to know an address or anything?

PB86MCSS
03-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I haven't registered or changed one in about 4-5 years but it was cake then. I think two times when I was registering a person at the DMV just asked "I noticed you have it registered in x and the car is kept in x county" . Give any reason you want, I think mine was that's where I got to college or just that's where it's stored. Nothing more. My understanding is that the police can't see the "county kept in" if you are pulled over either, so there is really no way for them to crack down that I'm aware of. I do this for any car, not even modded cars, it's just easier to avoid the hassle. Then again I've never owned a car new enough to be tested anymore so I guess it's irrelevant :D .

Car Guy
03-05-2010, 05:58 PM
my car is also kept in another county. i heard they were catching on and getting more strict. has anyone had them want to know an address or anything?

The only time I heard of someone getting 'caught' for registering a vehicle up north is when they were pulled over for street racing. Mind you this was 19 year old male with a very fast `00 Firebird who also gave the Sheriff a shitty attitude.....

Dasred
03-05-2010, 06:20 PM
My parents and Grandparents actually live up past Crivitz, so I went to the Waukesha DMB and registered the Sunfire to the address up there, pretty sure there's not a working O2 sensor in the whole car.
The guy at the DMV asked, I just said I was buying it to fix up for my Grandparents.

1997 Trans-Am
03-05-2010, 07:19 PM
i went to the same emission place in west Allis today. drove through, they plug into the computer. Done. Pass. They didnt even check the gas cap.

PB86MCSS
03-05-2010, 07:40 PM
The trick is don't register the car at an actual address in a non emissions county (unless of course you actually live there)....if so when you get pulled over and the car is registered far away but you live here, that raises the question.

You only need to put "county kept in", use your actual address.

Yooformula
03-05-2010, 09:29 PM

when I renewed plates and insurance for my formula and winter beaters, they both asked for exact addresses now for where the car was kept. I looked up some shit online on google maps and gave that address. the mailings still come to me though and it does save a bit on my insurance now too.

MurphysLaw88GT
03-05-2010, 09:59 PM

Lately the State has become much more sneaky than previously thought.

PB86MCSS
03-05-2010, 11:03 PM
I never had the state ask where any of my cars are kept when I renewed plates, just did my LeSabre in January. Insurance I use my actual address, just like as registered too. That way if anything happens where insurance is involved or pulled over, nothing can get me in trouble. If the State cracked down on the "county kept in" I can simply say when I registered them it was true. But then again, they are all older than 95' so it won't matter.