PDA

View Full Version : Light Tinting

03Seville
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM
A friend of mine took his car in for some work and in the process they broke his headlight covers. We've looked everywhere and cannot seem to find any new ones since GTS stopped producing them, its for an 02 Celica by the way.

Does anybody know any shops either in Milw or Madison that does headlight tinting?

I would do it for him with some extra nightshade I had but he wants it professionally done so he has no worries...

Any help appreciated

SLOWC5
03-04-2010, 02:57 PM
PM sent

Exitspeed
03-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Headlight covers? Really? Is he intentionally trying to make his car look dated?

Seriously, Nightshade or nothing. Just take the headlights out, mask off the housing and paint the lens's's's.

Deggy
03-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Headlight covers? Really? Is he intentionally trying to make his car look dated?

Seriously, Nightshade or nothing. Just take the headlights out, mask off the housing and paint the lens's's's.

I agree, my cousin has a black 03 Impala, and I convinced him to take off his headlight covers. I told him it looks tacky, and the Impala headlight housings are kinda black/charcoal anyways. I think it looks better.

03Seville
03-04-2010, 07:30 PM
To be honest I agree 100%

1. the covers do look dated and destroy the look of the car
2.I just personally dont like the look of tinted headlights, taillights ok but not headlights.

Either way though this was just info for a family member and Im just passing it on, trust me I would never tint the headlights on my caddy...ever! lol

Philly-O
03-05-2010, 07:36 AM
If you want to tint headlights I would only use a film since paint will chip start to have a brown look over a clear reflective lens. We have painted headlights in the past and using film has worked better and it isn't so permanent.

03Seville
03-05-2010, 07:36 AM
OK, new question... I found some light covers still available but their listed for the 00-01 Celica... Does anybody on here know if their are any differences between the 01-02 headlights?

Ive looked around a little bit and they seem to be the same but Id rather be sure.

SLOWC5
03-05-2010, 07:49 AM
If you want to tint headlights I would only use a film since paint will chip start to have a brown look over a clear reflective lens. We have painted headlights in the past and using film has worked better and it isn't so permanent.

I need to drop off a car for you guys on Monday. Hopefully you got some free time

Jeff

PureSound15
03-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Ditch the covers man - like Philly said, buy a tinting film!

03Seville
03-05-2010, 10:11 AM

Ok, covers are self explanatory and Ive done nightshade a few times with great results but wouldnt a tint film eventually start to peel being that it is on the outside of the car and on the front at that.

Also if you look at the Celica headlights their not flat, they have a bubble to them where the projector sits so would a film even sit right without wrinkling at all?

Exitspeed
03-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Ok, covers are self explanatory and Ive done nightshade a few times with great results but wouldnt a tint film eventually start to peel being that it is on the outside of the car and on the front at that.

Also if you look at the Celica headlights their not flat, they have a bubble to them where the projector sits so would a film even sit right without wrinkling at all?

It would last as long as any decal.

03Seville
03-05-2010, 10:38 AM
It would last as long as any decal.

ok but how would it work over the part of the headlight that bubbles up, I mean if you were to lay a decal over that it would crease and look horrible

PureSound15
03-05-2010, 10:50 AM
ok but how would it work over the part of the headlight that bubbles up, I mean if you were to lay a decal over that it would crease and look horrible

No, not at all. Most of them are a stretchy type of vinyl that will stretch and bend around curves. Using a alcohol based spray like windex will keep any air bubbles out of it,too.

Exitspeed
03-05-2010, 11:05 AM
^
Pretty much. If you haven't had a lot of experience doing vinyl you should let a pro do it.

Philly-O
03-05-2010, 10:08 PM
The film I am referring to is vinyl such as a clear bra. Most cars have precut kits available. Locally i dontknow anyone who stocks tinted vinyl but xpel make kits you can buy. We started buying our film for clear bras from them because of the many problems with the 3m film we have been having.

03Seville
03-06-2010, 10:27 AM
The film I am referring to is vinyl such as a clear bra. Most cars have precut kits available. Locally i dontknow anyone who stocks tinted vinyl but xpel make kits you can buy. We started buying our film for clear bras from them because of the many problems with the 3m film we have been having.

Thanks, actually nice to know... and by the way I love projecttwos work...lol I had to throw that in their