PDA

View Full Version : Toyota's recall fix not working?

Crawlin
03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota3-2010mar03,0,2270669.story

Man, all these companies are starting to be really bad. GM's steering recalls, Ford's stuff, etc...

I thing we should just all buy 4dr mid 70's cars, haha. lot easier to fix. fucking the environment, haha.

SmokinRAM114
03-03-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-toyota3-2010mar03,0,2270669.story

Man, all these companies are starting to be really bad. GM's steering recalls, Ford's stuff, etc...

I thing we should just all buy 4dr mid 70's cars, haha. lot easier to fix. fucking the environment, haha.

:rolf im ahead.. just bought that 78:thumbsup

07ROUSHSTG3
03-03-2010, 09:43 AM
many people have been saying that it is in the electronics from the beginning.

animal
03-03-2010, 09:51 AM
I wish there was a youtube video remake of one of these pedals sticking set to yakkety sax in benny hill fashion. :rolf

-stew-
03-03-2010, 10:22 AM

I bought a '86 3/4 ton Chevy. I'm doing my part.

many people have been saying that it is in the electronics from the beginning.

Guy at work thinks it is in the software and that it is sabatage.

DRK
03-03-2010, 11:12 AM
All new cars suck!
How could anyone think having no physical contact between the pedal and the throttle or the wheel and steering wheels is a good thing?
The more shit they put on these rolling crap boxes is just more headaches down the road. It's getting to the point where you can't buy a car that will last anymore, everyone's building throw away cars these days that will kill you in maintenance in 5yrs because it helps their bottom line.

deuceWI
03-03-2010, 11:20 AM
People are just a bunch of #$&*!4@*$ looking for someone to sue so they can get a free handout.

It's not funny, it just pushes the economy further down and makes it worse for everyone.

Did you not test drive that POS before you bought it? Did you not realize that it sucked balls? You bought it anyway? Well good for you!

Prince Valiant
03-03-2010, 12:09 PM
*OR* it could be that the bulk of the complaints are still "Pedal Misapplication"

subliminal1284
03-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Drive by wire for the lose

Crawlin
03-03-2010, 12:22 PM
i have a question...

if they say it's the drive by wire, and "pedal misapplication"

then why do we not see MORE of these complaints coming from Corvette owners who would be MORE prown to going WOT and slamming the throttle over the past 10 years?

TransAm12sec
03-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Earlier today there was a Toyota add on the same page saying the electronics are failsafe.

http://www.edmunds.com/help/about/press/161986/article.html

Prince Valiant
03-03-2010, 12:43 PM
i have a question...

if they say it's the drive by wire, and "pedal misapplication"

then why do we not see MORE of these complaints coming from Corvette owners who would be MORE prown to going WOT and slamming the throttle over the past 10 years?
With pedal misapplication, you're going to find that it happens more to people who are elderly and/or women....of which doesn't fit the stereotypical corvette owner profile.

That's not to say that pedal misapplication doesn't occur to others, nor is to say all the toyota's SUA's are occurring due to pedal misapplication. But the majority of SUA cases, when investigated, generally tend to be found as pedal misapplication.

Just as last fall when the NTSB studied four school bus crashes in which the drivers ("professional drivers" mind you) claimed that the bus accelerated w/o warning, brakes failed, etc..they found the cause was pedal misapplication in each case.

And that's the folly of the anti-toyota/it's electronic/whatever crowd...it seems that they totally discount PM as possible causes in any event...

And back to statistics, while toyota seems plagued with SUA, what about scion? Though they likely use much of the same electronics hardware and software for their drive-by-wire systems, they have relatively minimal SUA complaints. True, typical Scion owners are younger...and maybe skew less female too, not sure. Could part of it also be that it's name "Scion" and not the ad infinitum mentioned "toyota"---suggesting a part of the problem may in fact be due to collective obsessional behavior aka "mass hysteria"? Just questions, but certainly relevant and worth considering.

Again, I'm not saying that there isn't anything wrong with toyota's design or cars (particularly their cars---which are offensively ugly and boring). But people are throwing the baby out with the bath water in their attempt to get to the bottom of this.

lordairgtar
03-03-2010, 06:01 PM
Now Nissan has a recall for a brake problem

Reverend Cooper
03-03-2010, 06:46 PM
its not the electronics,if it was all american and japanese produced cars would have the same issues.its only affecting the american produced vehicles that have the cts pedals.the american produced cars with jap. pedal have been fine also.

1320PNY
03-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Truly Mike, you're the only reason I give a shit if Toyota stays in business.

Reverend Cooper
03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
its gonna take alot more than this to put them under,our car sales have already started to rebound and will get better with the 0% and maint. for 2 years. you can only poke the giant so much before it pokes back

DRK
03-03-2010, 09:04 PM
you can only poke the giant so much before it pokes back

Funny.... I believe the admiral of the fleet that bombed pearl harbor said something similar

Reverend Cooper
03-03-2010, 09:05 PM
this aint pearl harbor and they are the largest manufacturer in the world

1320PNY
03-03-2010, 10:59 PM

So it's just the Kamakazi engineered "feature" causing the "issues"?

FoxStang
03-04-2010, 01:38 AM

Actually I think VW/Audi/Porsche took that from them about a month or two ago.

WickedSix
03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Aren't all the dmax trucks throttle by wire as well? Seems like you'd program in something to the system so this wouldn't ever happen... like check brake application versus throttle position

07ROUSHSTG3
03-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Aren't all the dmax trucks throttle by wire as well? Seems like you'd program in something to the system so this wouldn't ever happen... like check brake application versus throttle position

i beleive that they are doing that also.

there was a video on the net showing that even the reprogramming isn't working. showed a reporter with the gas pedal floored and tapping the brakes. car never stopped accelerating. interesting.

Moparjim
03-04-2010, 11:02 AM

LOL so was GM not that long ago...

Or better yet places like International Harvester, Allis Chalmers...

Where are they now? To think anyone is "too big or strong to fail" is flawed thinking. I agree Toyota has deep pockets and is plenty strong, but this is going to cost them tens of billions by the time they are done. Look at what they are spending on advertising lately alone trying to control the bleeding, not to mention all the lawsuits and lawyers, lost sales, plants shut down/lost production. Some estimates are that this will ultimately cost them as high as $7000 per car on just about everything they sold in the US in the last 5 years or so...

Moparjim
03-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Funny.... I believe the admiral of the fleet that bombed pearl harbor said something similar

Yamamoto.

Reverend Cooper
03-04-2010, 11:51 AM
unlike american producers it will not take as long to figure it out and fix the root problem which is lack of qc

Nix
03-04-2010, 12:17 PM
unlike american producers it will not take as long to figure it out and fix the root problem which is lack of qc

I dont think it matters. Plenty of the damage is already done, no?

Regardless Toyota will be around for years.

It seems there are recalls on lots of products as of late. I work for a medical supply company and we have been getting recall notices left and right. This normally never happens. It seems like the quality control of many companies has been taking a dive as of late.

DRK
03-04-2010, 01:42 PM

:rolf

If anything is to be learned by the automakers here, it is that they need to be honest to themselves and the public when a problem arises. If Toyota would have stepped up a year or so ago and not tried to be deceiving when this all started this would all be in the past.

Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay
03-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I buy Honda

Nix
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
So why is Toyota hiding this info? This may have been posted in another thread but Im not going to go digging through all the threads about Toyota.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100305/ap_on_hi_te/us_toyota_black_boxes

Reverend Cooper
03-04-2010, 08:45 PM
^so does honda whats the point. Jim they werent decieving anyone,the lexus that brought this on was a issue with mats,the avalon that flipped in the pond with mats in the trunk was due to a epeleptic siezure,they obviously werent sure what all the issues were. they do now and they are fixing them.and yeah they will be around for along time.

Reverend Cooper
03-04-2010, 08:46 PM
all the haters yet chrysler,ford and GM have all had major recalls as well and no one cares lol,oh and they have more coming yet too

DRK
03-04-2010, 11:02 PM
all the haters yet chrysler,ford and GM have all had major recalls as well and no one cares lol,oh and they have more coming yet too

The big three aren't trying to hide the facts either, they can't and it was stupid for Toyota to try. Yes all manufactures swept shit under the rug in the past but there is too much transparency for that now.

.....And are you trying to say Toyota won't have anymore recalls?

FoxStang
03-05-2010, 03:17 AM
The big three aren't trying to hide the facts either, they can't and it was stupid for Toyota to try. Yes all manufactures swept shit under the rug in the past but there is too much transparency for that now.

Not true, GM never fessed up to the shitty ass CVT's in the Vue's, that was just a couple of years ago too, as a prime example. No such thing as too much transparency, companies don't like to admit fault, but this is far from the last time you'll see this happening in the auto industry.

07ROUSHSTG3
03-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Not true, GM never fessed up to the shitty ass CVT's in the Vue's, that was just a couple of years ago too, as a prime example. No such thing as too much transparency, companies don't like to admit fault, but this is far from the last time you'll see this happening in the auto industry.

you cannot compare not admitting to using a bad tranny to trying to hide evidence to prevent a safety recall. :rolleyes:

Prince Valiant
03-05-2010, 07:24 AM
*cough* *coford/firestonerecallugh* *cough*

'scuse me.

DRK
03-05-2010, 09:51 AM

I know prince has selective capacity but foxstang can't you read either

...and FWIW Toyotas UA goes back to 2003

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100305/ap_on_bi_ge/us_toyota_black_boxes_28

"In the 2004 crash in Evansville, Ind., that killed 77-year-old Juanita Grossman, attorneys for her family say a Toyota technician traveled from the company's U.S. headquarters in Torrance, Calif., to examine her 2003 Camry.
Before she died, the 5-foot-2, 125-pound woman told relatives she was practically standing with both feet on the brake pedal but could not stop the car from slamming into a building. Records confirm that emergency personnel found Grossman with both feet on the brake pedal."

FoxStang
03-05-2010, 01:10 PM
you cannot compare not admitting to using a bad tranny to trying to hide evidence to prevent a safety recall. :rolleyes:

The tranny's would randomly lock up on people when they failed without warning, several times while people were driving...

Prince Valiant
03-05-2010, 01:51 PM
I know prince has selective capacity but foxstang can't you read either

Okay, time to put to use my "selective capacity":

The big three aren't trying to hide the facts either, they can't and it was stupid for Toyota to try. Yes all manufactures swept shit under the rug in the past but there is too much transparency for that now.Wait! You say the Big 3 aren't trying to hide facts....but that "all manufactures swept shit under the rug in the past..."

Okay, so you contend that the big 3 is honest and open...But yes, tried to sweep shit under the rug during their safety recalls in the past. :confused

Hmph. I guess my selective capacity is >>>> than your limited capacity.

What's funny is that people are trying to play a "gotcha" game....toyota certainly appears to have hid information/data related to what the "black boxes"; but that revelation by itself doesn't prove that what conspiracist (such as yourself) assert related to Toyota and SUA (which, who knows what kooky theory you adhere to).

Unlike you, I don't pretend to know toyota's reasons for holding back the black box data; but then if the information really shows that there is more going on with their SUA problems, my guess is that they would use the information to correct the problem. However, some dimwittedly think toyota actually knows there is a bigger problem, but never-the-less are going ahead with spending billions of dollar on a recall that they know is not going to fix the problem.

Yeah. Makes tons of sense. :rolleyes:

It's funny when people try to make hero's and villains out of car manufactures. Toyota is doing what it thinks is best for it's long term prospects/bottom line. Likewise, the big 3, and any other manufacture always operated with what it thought was best for it's bottom dollar too, be it short or long term. People treat this like it's some xenophobic morality play....

DRK
03-05-2010, 02:27 PM

Okay, time to put to use my "selective capacity":

Wait! You say the Big 3 aren't trying to hide facts....but that "all manufactures swept shit under the rug in the past..."

Okay, so you contend that the big 3 is honest and open...But yes, tried to sweep shit under the rug during their safety recalls in the past. :confused

Hmph. I guess my selective capacity is >>>> than your limited capacity.

Can you not comprehend? "Aren't or Are not" is not a past-tense it is present. ALL manufactures used to hide shit ALL of them. In the information age you can not.

Can you honestly say if Toyota wasn't trying to deceive the public this would still be news?

oh wait... PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Thanks Yamamoto Toyoda. I've seen the commercials on TV so I know your cars are now safe

DRK
03-05-2010, 02:28 PM
This just in.......Bill Clinton's doctors put in a special pacemaker made by Toyota to make sure his heart doesn't stop

Prince Valiant
03-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Can you not comprehend? "Aren't or Are not" is not a past-tense it is present. ALL manufactures used to hide shit ALL of them. In the information age you can not.Yes, because we have evidence that NOW all the big 3 are being open and honest.

Now, perhaps you can recall (no pun intended) an episode of this magnitude with this media coverage during this day and age in which each party of the Big 3 have demonstrated this openness and honesty you claim they have. Personally, I don't.

Likewise, you would like the reader to infer that because toyota didn't share data from the black box, it's proof positive that they are covering up a larger problem...IE, the deceiving you speak of (when there certainly could be other explanations). What and how are they trying to deceive? Explain the benefit of deception in this case? How does Toyota come out ahead if they pull off the deception and the problem persist?

So to answer your question about would this still be in the media, YES! IT WOULD! Proof is that it' still in the news despite no proof positive of a nefarious cover-up or deception!

What's ironic is I'm often accused on this forum of being arrogant and thinking I'm the smartest guy on here (I'm not and I don't). However, it's you who really think that people are that dumb! (And of course, you're smart enough to see what they don't :rolleyes: ) First, you seem to really think that the general public would be fooled by a sham fix? Secondly, do you think the engineers and their bosses would knowingly allow such a strategy as wise? Do you think simply because they are employed by a company you dislike, they are all that immoral?

Reverend Cooper
03-05-2010, 11:10 PM
the fact of the matter is all of the popel here that are talking shit are getting there info from media and online,god knows thats all correct info. UA goes back as far as cars are made,old people have been plowing down kids at bus stops forever,but because they had cable operated trottles it was driver error lol no its electronic and its gotta be the cars fault its never a human error.

animal
03-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius

After the car decelerated to about 50 mph, Sikes turned off the engine and coasted to a halt.

Why couldn't he just turn off the fucking engine prior to that? Maybe dipshit could shift it into neutral? Am I missing something? Is there some bullshit software or full throttle neutral lockout on those that you just can't do that? If so, why would you ever put something like that in place?

Plum Crazy
03-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Article: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_runaway_prius

Why couldn't he just turn off the fucking engine prior to that? Maybe dipshit could shift it into neutral? Am I missing something? Is there some bullshit software or full throttle neutral lockout on those that you just can't do that? If so, why would you ever put something like that in place?

The owners are idiots. Its happening to people who hop in their car, turn the key and that is the extent of their Automotive backround and knowledge. Its the same people that call Roadside Assistance for a flat tire.

animal
03-09-2010, 11:09 AM
The guy apprently knew to turn it off at 50 when the squad got him slowed down... why not at 90 when it was "out of control"?

Plum Crazy
03-09-2010, 11:21 AM
The guy apprently knew to turn it off at 50 when the squad got him slowed down... why not at 90 when it was "out of control"?

the squad car was instructing him via loudspeaker.

Reverend Cooper
03-09-2010, 07:05 PM
too bad all hybrids have have a brake overide on them already its part of the regenerative system and it makes it impossible for brake and gas to stay on at the same time I call Shenanigans
its not even worth watching the news anymore everyone seems to be trying to get something from Toyota now.
Anyone see the story about the automotive proffesor that supposedly got the car to accel on its own by shorting something out and then the scan tool passed it,an independant found out it was all rigged and lies.NICE