PDA

View Full Version : the catfish thread (aquarium)

Turbo-Triumph
02-28-2010, 08:58 AM
hi all bcm members,

i have a Redtail Catfish for sale or trade.

right now, at aquatics unlimited, there is a SEVERLY injured one, they want $35 for, and is roughly 1 1/2" (i can show you where if need be...the tiny 1'x1' plexiglass tanks, near shrimp.)

i paid $40 for mine when he was 1", and since then he has grown to about 7"

he/she is not a picky eater once he is situated in a tank, and eats w/e he can get his jaw around. normally, i feed him either feeder goldfish, or throw in peices of cooked/steak chicken. hell, he even eats ring bologna.

I just dont have the room for this guy anymore, i switched out my fish tank to 'smaller' fish, and hes to big of a bully torwards bite size fish/snails.

I'de estimate his value at $50 easy im lookin for like $40 b/c he is VERY nicly colored, and pretty large.
here is a pic of roughly the size, and color of my fish (not actual) http://www.birdsill.com/red_tail.jpg

Im open to any offers, but really, i want to trade for;
cichlids,
flourescent lights (4')
other oddball fish (i have a cichlid tank)
maybe decorations depending what they are
electric catfish, or smaller catfish.
shrimp, must be a lot of them and not clear.

if you have something you feel is more valuable than my fish, im willing to deal either way (up/down) and i dont expect to get a lot for him, i simply just want to trade him off for something, and know he's going somehwere nice.

Thanks! figured id'e post it here before he goes to a fishy store :(

edit; i forgot to mention, he would be fine in a tank with oscars, cichlids or other larger fish, but i have very small cichlids, and TINY catfish, and dont want to risk him eating fish. Ive had him in a tank with very small fish before, fish he could of ate, but did not. he really isnt a hunter, just if the oportunity comes by and he is hungry....

Firefighter Z
02-28-2010, 09:58 AM
I hope someone picks the catfish up...
I'm trying to rid of my 55gal setup with fish.

Turbo-Triumph
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
I hope someone picks the catfish up...
I'm trying to rid of my 55gal setup with fish.

thanks me too! whatcha got far as fish go? might be interested,.. never know.

Bumpity bump!

FYI, i decided im going to keep this guy until someone wants to make a deal, and am not going to send him to a fish store.. so if anyone knows anyone, who knows someone that needs a catfish... let 'em know, i dont expect this to be a fire sale!

Firefighter Z
03-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I have 2- 8" to 9" Oscars... One is a Red Oscar and the other is an Albino Red Oscar.

1- 6" Pictus Catfish

1- 8"-9" Pleco

Turbo-Triumph
03-01-2010, 08:29 PM
I have 2- 8" to 9" Oscars... One is a Red Oscar and the other is an Albino Red Oscar.

1- 6" Pictus Catfish

1- 8"-9" Pleco

Nope dont need any of them :thumbsup

I had no idea pictus catfish got 6''! i have 5 of them :stare

ill keep an ear out for anyone looking, though. how much do you want for the entire setup? maybe my thread can atleast sell something for someone! lol

Firefighter Z
03-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Well with the slate, hood, gravel, filters, pumps and food. I'd like $200.00 obo. Its a basment setup type tank and nothing to present in a living room or anything.

With that many pictus catfish, they will actually bother other fish if not kill them and also fight between themselves.

Yooformula
03-02-2010, 01:24 AM
would you consider jack dempsey's? they wont grow as big as the oscars but are very mild eaters as in flake, pellets or live. I have 3 ranging in size from 3"-4". I have 6 total but 1 began to grow fast and the rest stopped so the smaller ones can go as I was hoping they would have grown much bigger.

Turbo-Triumph
03-02-2010, 05:24 PM
^ possibly depending on the coloration. I have 2 black jack dempseys right now.

(pictus cats) what!? lol! Mine are all about 3-4" right now.. theyre like the silver/blk ones from wal-mart. (i think thats a pictus cat?) they're all friendly and just swim around with my little tiny cory cats!

Firefighter Z
03-02-2010, 06:03 PM
What I meant was that they will kill fish smaller than them and have them for a snack.
They actually do better in groups, but the dont bother each other. Sorry for the wrong info.

I got this off a website:
The pictus catfish will not take up a lot of space because they aren't a large catfish. An adult pictus catfish will usually range in size from 4 to 6 inches in length. You should keep the pictus catfish in groups, since they prefer to school. Usually four to six pictus catfish will be ideal for a 30 gallon or larger tank. Kept in a school of this size, the pictus catfish will be very active during the day, often playing with and chasing each other. In fact, if the pictus catfish are kept in schools of this size, you may be able to hear them "talking" to each other! Like many catfish, the pictus catfish can make grunting noises. They usually make these noises when they are feeling territorial toward each other, and the grunts can be heard outside of the tank!

Turbo-Triumph
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM
if the pictus catfish are kept in schools of this size, you may be able to hear them "talking" to each other! Like many catfish, the pictus catfish can make grunting noises. They usually make these noises when they are feeling territorial toward each other, and the grunts can be heard outside of the tank!

You obviously know way more than me about pictus fish. :thumbsup

i will deffinitly keep an eye, and an ear out for everything you said.

Yooformula
03-02-2010, 08:40 PM
^ possibly depending on the coloration. I have 2 black jack dempseys right now.

here is a shot not very good one but.....they all have teal freckles and 2 of them have red tips on their top fins.
http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/albums/Yooformula/SANY0006.sized.jpg

Turbo-Triumph
03-04-2010, 05:10 PM
^^

thanks for the offer, but they look to similair to my others i have. one looks almost identical to that one, and my other one is pitch black (but he's kinda emorted...)

pOrk
03-04-2010, 05:47 PM
How much you want for the Pleco? My turtles keep eating the ones I've been buying cause they are too small

Turbo-Triumph
03-05-2010, 07:34 PM
^^ ha good luck finding a tough enough pleco for a turtle tank! generally turtles will kill everything.

catfish bump.

Firefighter Z
03-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah he is right, I have a guy at work that is really into turtles and know alot about them. Went to College in Florida and studied them and also worked at the County Zoo.
If you want I can give you his e-mail addy, he'll tell ya what to do with your problem.

Oh and he has his own turtle Aquarium setup(S) in his basement.

pOrk
03-05-2010, 09:33 PM
sure, pm it to me please