PDA

View Full Version : Surveillance Experts?

Silver350
02-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Do we have any Surveillance Experts on this forum? I found out tonight that a neighbor has been hanging outside of my apartment and pestering my dog causing her to bark a lot. Neighbor caught so called guy a couple of times already. I want to catch him in the act. I was told he could be using a dog whistle outside of my door to mess with my dog. I was thinking something that would be able to catch this tone and allow me to decipher it on my computer because face it I cant hear it. Or possibly wondering about a peep hole camera.

DirtyMax
02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
Have someone with a lot of time on their hands camp out in your place all day and wait for him to pull his shenanigans. Open door, shove whistle down his throat, crack a beer, profit... what an asshole.

Good luck! All I could think of would be a trail camera but where could you put it....

brotherbenn83
02-26-2010, 11:21 PM
put a claymore in his front yard, make sure you face the correct side "towards enemy"

Car Guy
02-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Security cameras linked to your laptop recording everything......:thumbsup

LIL EVO
02-27-2010, 12:08 AM
Look no further

http://lilevo.com/misc/cctvcomp.jpg

Car Guy
02-27-2010, 12:14 AM
Look no further

:bling

Jason, how much was everything...??? A few years ago I looked into security cameras for my place and was surprised how affordable they were.....

LIL EVO
02-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I bought and installed everything myself. The cameras are all heated (good to -40) and aren't cheap new. Those are $250-$300 each, I picked them up cheaper. A standalone DVR unit is anywhere from $200-$700. Otherwise you can run them into a computer with a cctv pci card.

I also have the same display on the tv in the living room so I can pull up all the cameras if I'm chilling on the couch and hear something.

jbiscuit
02-27-2010, 08:10 AM
that is super cool Evo!

Scott I would do what others have said and get someone to sit there all day and try and catch him in the act. But even if you do catch him doing it, will he stop? Lots of D-bags in SE WI apartments

wrath
02-27-2010, 08:31 AM
For a short-term cheap solution get a Microsoft HD webcam and use yawcam to capture it. You can also use WebcamXP but it's not free. You can also use PTZ IP cameras but those aren't cheap.

I've moved away from CCTV as all my stuff was 480i and I can do that with a $22 webcam (VX3000) from Microsoft these days. I've been migrating to USB webcams over a USB extender and IP cameras.

Here's a picture of my basement with WebcamXP5 about ten minutes ago:
http://wrath.com/temp/basement.png

Silver350
02-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Yeah I dont really know if someone would want to sit at my apartment and listen to see if this guy is messing with my dog and that Is why I am asking about device options.

1320PNY
02-27-2010, 03:09 PM
I got a color 260 zoom camera and a DVR I bought 3 years ago. It is a DigiOp unit with a hard drive, monitor, keyboard, camera, wiring, everything you need to monitor with a single camera. I give you everything for $800.00.

Anybody interested go ahead and PM me.

PonyKiller87
02-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Check out harbor freight, they have some cheep stuff that might work.

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=camera

lordairgtar
02-28-2010, 12:35 AM
Send him the poo that Pork was posting about earlier.

rally_scort
02-28-2010, 12:41 AM
i bought one of the cameras from harbour frieght, after somebody vandalized some cars outside my house.I bought the one with nightvision and sound and it worked great.It came with about 100ft of cord, and was pretty damn small but worked amazing.I downloaded a copy of WINDVR and i was good to go, recorded right to my harddrive.In almost complete darkness, i could decipher make and model of the cars driving by, almost 30ft from the camera :)