PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying a NEW truck this fall..

0TransAm0
02-26-2010, 08:17 PM
im starting to look at new trucks and plan on buying one more towards the end of summer. unless a killer deal comes by.
things it must have

4 wheel drive
v8
extended cab
short bed
black exterior

thats about all i care about for now all the crap going on with toyota so i don't want a tundra(not to mention they are expensive as hell)
and i keep hearing about the intake gasket problem on the GM's so im not to sure about them either...

any idea's?

not looking at spending more than 30k i don't need all the bells and whistles afterall it will be just a truck to pull the boat/trailer and take in the woods up north. and a winter truck. on the nice days in the summer i will drive my car..

any input or info/recomendations pros/cons for certain brands/motors/trans ect.. ????

Plum Crazy
02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
im starting to look at new trucks and plan on buying one more towards the end of summer. unless a killer deal comes by.
things it must have

4 wheel drive
v8
extended cab
short bed
black exterior

thats about all i care about for now all the crap going on with toyota so i don't want a tundra(not to mention they are expensive as hell)
and i keep hearing about the intake gasket problem on the GM's so im not to sure about them either...

any idea's?

not looking at spending more than 30k i don't need all the bells and whistles afterall it will be just a truck to pull the boat/trailer and take in the woods up north. and a winter truck. on the nice days in the summer i will drive my car..

any input or info/recomendations pros/cons for certain brands/motors/trans ect.. ????

Do you want a quad cab or Crew cab??? I did a prep on a new 2010 dodge ram crew cab 4x4 ST with a hemi and the sticker was 32k, turn it into a quad cab, id probably be right under 30k

0TransAm0
02-26-2010, 08:27 PM
quad cab = 4 door
crew cab = 2 door and the smaller or half door?

crew cab would be fine as long as it has a normal size seat in the back. i have a 2 month old and need room for car seat and such.

wrath
02-26-2010, 08:54 PM
How new? Brand new off the lot? Going to resell it or run it until it dies?

While a carseat will fit in my truck and you can fit 4 adults in it for a couple hours my extended cab GMT900 is not ideal for any longer periods of time.

Plum Crazy
02-26-2010, 09:03 PM
quad cab = 4 door
crew cab = 2 door and the smaller or half door?

crew cab would be fine as long as it has a normal size seat in the back. i have a 2 month old and need room for car seat and such.

Reg cab = 2 doors
Quad cab= 4 doors, rear being smaller
Crew cab= 4 doors, rear is as big as front doors
Mega Cab= 4 doors, rear are bigger than front

0TransAm0
02-26-2010, 09:06 PM
quad cab would be the 1st choice crew cab next.

wrath depends on price and if i can get 0% for 60 months on new(shouldn't be a problem i have great credit and would have at least 5k down). my plan is new off the lot and keep it for 6 or more years.

edit:
i should have said 30k is prbably the MOST i want to spend anything less than that is good. i don't need a $700+/month payment

1320PNY
02-26-2010, 09:31 PM
Saw a Black Ford at Brookfield and Capitol next to Sorens at the Dodge dealer.

Not sure about any details.

jbiscuit
02-26-2010, 09:33 PM
I'd suggest putting more than $5k down on a $30k truck. $500/month car payment FTL. The Titans are super nice but pricey. You could probably work a decent deal on a Sierra/Silverado but you have reservations about intake gaskets. Should one go bad you do have the warranty. Maybe try and find a leftover 09?

Slow Joe
02-26-2010, 09:38 PM
I'd check out the new F150s, I'm not sure what they cost, however they are super nice trucks.

Plus why buy a new one? Buy a same year used, or year or two old used one. That way someone else takes the first depreciation hit, and you get an extremely good value. Plus on the norm you'll still have factory warranty left to fall back on.

0TransAm0
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
I'd suggest putting more than $5k down on a $30k truck. $500/month car payment FTL. The Titans are super nice but pricey. You could probably work a decent deal on a Sierra/Silverado but you have reservations about intake gaskets. Should one go bad you do have the warranty. Maybe try and find a leftover 09?

this is the plan. and 30k is the most i want to spend, low 20's would be nice i don't need chrome wheels or power locks and windows or leather. i don't care about that. just looking for a plane jane truck that wont give me problems once i get 40k miles on it.. at first i was looking at the sierra/silverado's more so the z71's but then i started looking at the sierra's and now lately the ford f150's as they have come a Looooong way from the 90's but im just not sure which one will be better in the long run..

slow joe:

i thought about getting "certified used" but i guess it all depends on what they have on the lot at the time.. and what kind of deal i can get. i have 6 months or so to figure it out. just seeing what everybody else thinks of the truck that are out there...

BOSS LX
02-26-2010, 10:48 PM
The new F150's are awesome trucks! Light years ahead of the 2004-2008's!

brotherbenn83
02-26-2010, 11:28 PM
There are no intake gasket problems on the newer trucks that I have seen. The 99 and prior trucks using the 5.7L "R" engine were the worst for intake leaks. Newer body style trucks with the 4.8/5.3/6.0 "V" "T/Z" "U" engines sometimes developed intake leaks, but they were Vacuum only, no coolant passing through them and they are very simple to replace. If you end up looking at trucks at Holz talk to Glen Jones, Don Zielinski or Bruce Abad and tell them Ben Farrell sent you.

SLOWC5
02-27-2010, 12:15 AM
Mike when you bring your wheels in, I'll make sure Kyles there. I'm sure we can persuade your opinion in the right direction :)

JEFF

That_Guy
02-27-2010, 12:42 AM
Reg cab = 2 doors
Quad cab= 4 doors, rear being smaller
Crew cab= 4 doors, rear is as big as front doors
Mega Cab= 4 doors, rear are bigger than front

i really wish they made a mega cab, long bed, dually with a cummins... now that would be a road train.

wrath
02-27-2010, 09:34 AM
If I wasn't eligible for GM employee discount and planned on keeping the truck I'd probably buy a 3/4 ton Dodge. Best bang for the buck by far. But shit for resale.

lordairgtar
02-27-2010, 11:53 AM
Buy yerself an over the road tractor and slap a pick up bed on it. No one will mess with you.

Crawlin
02-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I've driven all of them from working at dealerships, and I probably would do a Ford even though I'm a GM guy. And that was the last body style Ford.

Dodge's are messed up with their "naming" in regards to the size compared to the others, so don't think everyone's has the same for "quad cab". Just pretty much an extended cab like what was described by Plum Crazy.

How many miles/year are you gonna drive? Keep it for a long time or switch vehicles?

I'd never BUY a new vehicle unless it was a specialty like a ZO6 or Camaro SS or new Mustang GT/etc....

I always lease.... ESPECIALLY if you are gonna be doing a 72 month or 84 month to keep payments down

If someone wants to get into the which is better argument, I'll gladly join in, haha(if you fit mileage/term conditions ;) )

Slow Joe
02-27-2010, 02:38 PM
I always lease.... ESPECIALLY if you are gonna be doing a 72 month or 84 month to keep payments down

If someone wants to get into the which is better argument, I'll gladly join in, haha(if you fit mileage/term conditions ;) )

If this were 6 months go, I'd have to argue with you. However residual values have come back somewhat, and leases are available again. Actually there will be some lease specials starting again in the next month or so if they haven't already.

Personally I'm a used car guy, so I'd say go used or Certified Pre-Owned (CPO). The only thing that's nice about CPO cars are that you do get an extended warranty, and you know that they are 100% stock (Normally). Plus CPO vehicles qualify for special interest rates through the manufacturer normally. All in all they are a good value, however you will pay more for a CPO than you would for a non CPO normally.

Just a side note, if you're looking at used ones, try to get one still in warranty. That way if something comes up it's still covered. Also make sure the vehicle has warranty through a service department that services that brand, don't rely on the dealership you're purchasing it from or a Carfax/Autocheck Report. Another hint is that while you're researching how much warranty is left, ask for a copy of all of the warranty claims submitted. This will help you pick out possible problems that the specific vehicle might have.

Crawlin
02-27-2010, 02:53 PM
oh definitely, if I have to buy based on mileage requirements, it's a CPO w/ under 20k miles and get the bumper to bumper wrap and still save $10g's over a new one AND have longer warranty

it's what we did with the g/f's Highlander

Deggy
02-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Personally, I have always loved the f-Series trucks, and I am not even that big of a Ford fan. I'd pick up a f250 super duty in a heart beat if I had the cash.

BoosTT
02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
^^^ Same here. Ford does make good trucks. I like my ranger, but wish it was a f250

0TransAm0
02-27-2010, 05:25 PM
i plan on keeping it for at least a year or two after its payed for or longer. less than 10k miles a year would be put on the truck. i don't drive far for work and when the fam go's out we take the wifes vehicle. im more of a GM guy.. but i do like the way the new
F150's look.. and what the hell happend didn't the F150's look or were small pickups like s-10's???

so far im considering or plan on test driving new
Ford F150
GMC sierra
Chevy silverado base model and Z71

not sure if i want to look at dodge...

FoxStang
02-27-2010, 08:07 PM
i plan on keeping it for at least a year or two after its payed for or longer. less than 10k miles a year would be put on the truck. i don't drive far for work and when the fam go's out we take the wifes vehicle. im more of a GM guy.. but i do like the way the new
F150's look.. and what the hell happend didn't the F150's look or were small pickups like s-10's???

so far im considering or plan on test driving new
Ford F150
GMC sierra
Chevy silverado base model and Z71

Ranger was the primary competitor of the S-10.

Prince Valiant
02-27-2010, 08:25 PM
Why not? For that matter, why not look at the yota and nismo too? How much longer do you think it takes? The worst that could happen is that you confirm to yourself you don't want the trucks...that right there should be worth the time to drive them.

You never actually know until you jump in and try out the trucks...I'd imagine regardless of what you buy, you'd be able to swing a comparable deal with a bit of shenanigans, despite whatever the window stickers say.

0TransAm0
02-27-2010, 08:33 PM
^^ true. i wont bother with the tundra because they cost to much...

SLOWC5
02-27-2010, 08:40 PM
come on, you know you want too :)

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a87/kssinbooth/SHARK/P9140009.jpg

jbiscuit
02-27-2010, 08:56 PM
^ that fugger is so damn hot, I hate seeing that pic Jeff LOL

0TransAm0
02-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Jeff that truck is sweet(is it for sale??). every car/truck i have ever owned has been black and i want to keep it that way. they look the best to me.. when clean of course.
let me know when your your ready and i will come out to the shop with the wheels..

jakedrew
02-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I say go pop the hood and look at the engine bay of a f150 and then check out a GM truck. Ask yourself what one would be easier to change spark plugs on and work on.

Not saying you will have to work on it all the time, but If you are keeping it for a while, either one will eventually have to have wrench on it somehwere.

GOOD luck.

Silver350
02-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Yep I enjoy my 2007 Sierra. I am glad I got it. even buying used with higher miles I haven had any problems and love the looks of the GMC Sierras

SLOWC5
02-27-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks guys, not looking to steal the thread :) everything's for sale for the right price

Mike thursday we could set something up to get the slicks mounted up. Let me know. Busy monday -wednesday already

JEFF

BAD LS1
02-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Let me know when you find a NEW 4x4 fullsize truck with options under 30k! A V8 Colorado 4x4 can be had for under 30k in a crew or ext cab. But again its a small truck though and has better chance at getting near the 20mpg claim the big boys do.

0TransAm0
02-28-2010, 09:38 PM
i said i don't want "options"... i do NOT need power windows,power locks,chrome wheels,etc,etc,etc..... just a plane jane truck....

Waver
03-01-2010, 09:34 AM
i said i don't want "options"... i do NOT need power windows,power locks,chrome wheels,etc,etc,etc..... just a plane jane truck....

Problem is that the trucks that you are looking at (crew cab) all come with those power accessories. It is kind of hard to get around it.

SmokinRAM114
03-01-2010, 09:41 AM
:drool: new ram 1500

http://mojock.com/auto/wp-content/gallery/2009-dodge-ram-w-bds-6inch-lift/2009_ram_bds_supension-009.jpg

88Nightmare
03-01-2010, 02:20 PM
that ram would look pretty killer if it was debadged and the grill was blacked out

88Nightmare
03-01-2010, 02:23 PM
mike, buy this:

http://anythingonwheels.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/ironhide-gmc-topkick-c4500.jpg

0TransAm0
03-01-2010, 04:01 PM
that ram would look pretty killer if it was debadged and the grill was blacked out

X2 thats a nice truck.