PDA

View Full Version : SBC plug wires.

-stew-
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
My new truck needs plug wires, the ones on it are stupid long. I think they may be the correct wires. If I recall the factory routing on mid 80's chevys ran the wires under the manifolds along the block. Does anybody have a part number or application shat doesn't use super long wires? Its a HEI cap and headers, 90* plug boots would work best. Not looking to make my own, or buy expensive ones as this is just the daily. Thanks!

Sprayaway Fox
02-26-2010, 09:02 PM
Might wanna check out 74-81 camaro's Im almost postitve there all 90 degrees but dont know the routing on them.

lordairgtar
02-27-2010, 12:01 PM
Buy ignition wire by the length, cut to fit, slide on the boots, crimp the terminals, slide boots over the terminals and you're good to go.

wrath
02-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Buy MSD Superconductors and run them in the factory location. They run under the exhaust manifold or header and around the back on the driver's side. On the passenger side they drop from above. After owning roughly 30 of those trucks I've found it's what works best.

I used to buy Taylor SpiroPro wires but the last two sets have been junk. I still have a set from about ten years ago on my 84K10 that I haven't driven in five years.

-stew-
02-27-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't want to buy expensive wires or buy a crimping tool and make wires for this thing. It's just my daily driver. I'm not trying to give it a $200 tune up. And I'm sure all the clips to route them OEM style are long gone. A fair amount of hackery has been done to this truck.

GTSLOW
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
A fair amount of hackery has been done to this mustang.

:goof

-stew-
03-04-2010, 11:23 AM
^^^^ As opposed to all those cool monthley payments you've made to your holden? :thumbsup

I went with '75 Camaro plug wires. They worked pretty well. As Wrath stated, the OEM routing would be best, the cruise diaphram, throttle linkage, ect, is kinda in the way on the drivers side. New wires, a lil bit of timing and this bitch moves! Still gotta do the plugs, cap, rotor, and tweek the timing a scoach, but so far it's much improved. Thanks for the help, sirs!

wrath
03-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Does it have ESC? If it does, you can unplug it and put in an old 4-pin ICM and it should run best with 7-9° of advance. You can get as much as 13° out of it but you'll need 89 octane and 91 in the summer. The old ESC is a serious horsepower robber. The ESC computer is mounted above the glovebox. The weights in the distributor aren't ideal and have a bit of an odd curve to them but it's close enough. Before messing around with vacuum lines to the distributor you might want to check them. Some add timing and some retard depending on what emissions you have. If you have the water neck from hell (4-5 vacuum lines coming off a sensor in the water neck) I feel bad for you.

I've found el-cheapo Sorenson caps and rotors to be the longest lasting of the coil-in-cap type.

If you've got an APT Quadrajet, I feel bad for you. But you can still drill out the vacuum can so as to avoid the quadrabog, replace the factory junk secondary rods with some DR rods (easiest place to get these is out of a Monte Carlo SS), and replace the ~R hanger with a G or K. I'd probably go with a K hanger. G would be a bit on the rich side for a sub-300hp tree-fiddy.

PB86MCSS
03-04-2010, 11:51 PM
The CCC Q-Jet's get a bad rap too often. Very capable carb that can handle a fair amount of power too. For a daily driver I'd definitely keep it, let alone with a build up.

-stew-
03-05-2010, 12:37 AM
It's got as Edelbrock intake (not sure which one, nothing fancy though) and an Edelbrock Truck Avenger carb. 650 I think. IDK if it has the ESC. I've been thinking about pulling the dist and giving it a good once over because the truck has sat for so long. Timing still needs some tweeking, and I still need to change the plugs and cap and rotor. There is no timing pointer on this pile, so until I get one the timing is being done by ear/vacuum gauge. It does have the stat housing with the thermal vacuum switch, but nothing it going to it. The truck has no emissions equipment on it any more and only 3 or 4 vacuum lines.

PB86MCSS
03-05-2010, 07:28 AM
If it has an aftermarket carb it surely is no longer computer controlled.