PDA

View Full Version : New Scam or ???? - You Decide, BCM!!

DirtyMax
02-25-2010, 02:00 PM
I'm usually pretty good at detecting scams. This one involves some photo equipment I am selling. It's a verified paypal account versus a money order so that's a plus because I can actually see the money in my bank before I ship. But she's asking me to "end the auction" but maybe she is just copying and pasting?? Additionally, what the hell is someone from NJ doing trolling Milwaukee Craigalist for a camera???

Is this a scam? Sounds like something I don't even want to mess with but at the same time, money is money....

Original Email from Buyer:
Hello, I just wanna know if this item is still up for sale and let me
the the price of it..
Thanks

My response (short and sweet):
1300 face to face cash sale in Milwaukee. Thanks

Her last email:
Thanks for you reply,i am located in Remsenburg city
in NY,i really need to buy this and send to my
son schooling outside the state as a gift .I have
been trying to buy this on ebay but its so very stressful
buying on ebay.I will offer you $1380 so as to close the
auction as soon as possible.I will be paying through PAYPAL
because i have a verified account with paypal.So kindly get back with
your paypal email address so i can make payment into your paypal
account.Once payment clears,shipment will be handled by me through my
personal fedex account,so you dont have to pay for
shipment.Get back to me if my approval is granted.I would like to see
the pictures please.
Thanks

Verdict???

88Nightmare
02-25-2010, 02:03 PM
sounds fishy

CATNHAT
02-25-2010, 02:15 PM
I got one of those also: Mine was this: I think it is BS and replied with an F.O.

Hi,
This is truly a one of a kind clean vehicle, never been smoked in or had pets inside. Everything about it is great and works perfect, the only reason I'm selling is due to financial problems. Always took care of it and have all service records, clean title, never involved in accidents.
Pretty much the vehicle came with the highest options that were available at the time.
I can not afford to keep it anymore!
More details and pics here: http://kvjdsksj.vflyer.com/home/flyer/home/3132485
Since I have no time to take care of this sale in person we will use a safe payment method, that means you will have to deposit the money to eBay and they will pay me after you will register it under your name.
The final price is $4,700.
As you can imagine I'm looking for a fast sale, so please let me know asap if you are interested.
Thank you!
Daniela

DirtyMax
02-25-2010, 02:15 PM
sounds fishy

I agree that it's suspect. But for everything that's odd about it, she says the right things at the same time. I will give credit... if this is a scam, it's a good one.

But once I withdraw paypal funds into my bank account, I can't get screwed anymore though, can I?

I got one of those also: Mine was this: I think it is BS and replied with an F.O.

Hi,
This is truly a one of a kind clean vehicle, never been smoked in or had pets inside. Everything about it is great and works perfect, the only reason I'm selling is due to financial problems. Always took care of it and have all service records, clean title, never involved in accidents.
Pretty much the vehicle came with the highest options that were available at the time.
I can not afford to keep it anymore!
More details and pics here: http://kvjdsksj.vflyer.com/home/flyer/home/3132485
Since I have no time to take care of this sale in person we will use a safe payment method, that means you will have to deposit the money to eBay and they will pay me after you will register it under your name.
The final price is $4,700.
As you can imagine I'm looking for a fast sale, so please let me know asap if you are interested.
Thank you!
Daniela

This one sounds quite a bit different. All of the risk is on you as the buyer... kind of the opposite with my situation, no?

Feature Pony
02-25-2010, 02:19 PM
I agree that it's suspect. But for everything that's odd about it, she says the right things at the same time. I will give credit... if this is a scam, it's a good one.

But once I withdraw paypal funds into my bank account, I can't get screwed anymore though, can I?

This one sounds quite a bit different. All of the risk is on you as the buyer... kind of the opposite with my situation, no?

you can still get screwed by pay pal. I don't mess with pay pal and it sounds like they a hacked account and the banks will get there money back and you'll be out a camera. I would say scam

07ROUSHSTG3
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
i vote scam.

DirtyMax
02-25-2010, 02:21 PM
Screw it. I'm not hard up and would rather not dick with this one. Sounds 50/50 and I'm not in a gambling mood today.

MoCkiN U
02-25-2010, 02:24 PM
they can use craigslist AND paypal but not ebay?? That alone is a problem for me

xxsn0blindxx
02-25-2010, 02:25 PM
The references to an auction and only referring to an "item" screams scam.

Car Guy
02-25-2010, 02:35 PM
The person not wanting to use eBay is suspect; ask for a USPS money order.....

Nix
02-25-2010, 02:49 PM
Scam. I also recently had someone pulling the same shit. It was on milwaukee clist and they were supposedly from Utah. It was bullshit

DirtyMax
02-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I just always thought that once you had the paypal money in your account as a seller, that you were OK. The bank account I use for paypal literally never has any balance in it because while I think Paypal is the cat's ass, I don't 100% trust it. So when I sell something, I pull that money out of there right away. And on the flipside, if I buy something, I transfer just enough $$ in there to do the purchase.

And I agree, referring to it as an item is not that wise if you're legit.

If this is a scam, and not just a hasty email, it's decent, for no other reason than Paypal IMO.

P.S. - I'm getting a ton of emails on this stuff. The rest of them are 1000% scams no doubt. This is the only one that sounds half sincere but I'm not going to pursue this any further.

Nix
02-25-2010, 03:14 PM
When I get home tonite I will post the email responces that I got from this bitch in Utah. Some of them are kinda funny. :rolf

hrsp
02-25-2010, 03:32 PM
Scam!!!!!!!!

Z28Envy
02-25-2010, 04:06 PM
you can still get screwed by pay pal. I don't mess with pay pal and it sounds like they a hacked account and the banks will get there money back and you'll be out a camera. I would say scam

This is what I would say happened! I had my paypal account hacked into about 2 weeks ago. Luckily the email address I have for it is in my blackberry so I knew right away that someone had used it. They sent it in british pounds and it was basically $32 american. Not sure if they did a low amount to see if I would catch it so they could use it later for bigger stuff.

johnny--2k
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
scam, just the grammar sounds off....and her personal shipping account? yeah, that's so you dont know where it is being shipped.

deuceWI
02-25-2010, 04:56 PM
The only people who use the word 'kindly' like that are Nigerian princes.

I vote scam

DirtyMax
02-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Should I see if I can get some $$ in my Paypal account... :devil

MurphysLaw88GT
02-25-2010, 05:05 PM
ask for a USPS money order.....

Although it don't mean much, that is how I always roll.

If your gut feeling even thinks it is a scam just walk away.

Car Guy
02-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Although it don't mean much, that is how I always roll.

I believe a USPS money order is the only non-scam able form of money transfer. If I am wrong please let me know.....

BoosTT
02-25-2010, 06:39 PM
Should I see if I can get some $$ in my Paypal account... :devil

Hell no. Don't mess with it. My girl friend got ripped off this way. Heres how it works:

1. You get all your money in your paypal account
2. you ship the item
3. You have the money transfered from paypal to your normal bank account
4. 59 or something like that days past, 1 day before the repeal (Ie: you have no time to respond).
5. The buyer disputes the charge
6. Paypal takes like minimum 4 days or whatever to investigate and contact the credit card company from step 1.
7. The dispute is too late (past 60 days or whatever)
8. Paypal demands their money back and if you don't pay them, debt collectors call

btw- she had everything, multiable email accounts, addresses, phone numbers, verified ebay acccount, verified paypal.

True story. Fuck Paypal!

hrsp
02-25-2010, 09:07 PM
thats why i only do face to face with cash...unless its from a person that i was referred to by a good friend...

Lv2xlr8
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Scam,

I got the same emails, when trying to sell my camera. " The I really need to buy this as gift" story same as you.

hrsp
02-25-2010, 09:16 PM
^ nice name!

FoxStang
02-25-2010, 09:23 PM
Scam, I've heard of this one before. There's prolly plenty of other waiting to buy this, why risk it on a scam?

URLOZIN
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
It's a scam. I've had atleast 10 similar emails. Almost exact same wording.

lotsals1
02-25-2010, 10:30 PM
USPS C.O.D only This is the only way to go man. If they are scammers they will not reply as soon as you say C.O.D. :rolf

GTSLOW
02-25-2010, 10:57 PM
Just the weird ass typing throws a red flag. Every scam email I've gotten is like that. Bunch of weird lines.

Gregor
02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Usps orders are not a fool proof method of payment. I paid for something once through Ebay with one and had to threaten with contacting the there local PD and having them charged with "Interstate Commerce Fraud". A letter from my lawyer didn't hurt either.

I got my rims after that. Scratched all to hell but I got them. I will never buy anything big from Ebay. And have my paypal account tied to a MC and a empty bank account. MC are super aggressive when fraud is involved.

There are just to many scams.

This screams scam.

97z2801ss
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Happend to me too I bought a pair of uggs from uggstore.com sent money via paypal they shipped me an empty box and have not responded, it sucks really. The chinese name should have been my red flag. but the store seemed ligit, the only way to get your money back is gothrugh the bank and fill out an affidavit. Moral of the storey if the flag pole is up even with out the red flag, id second guess it b/c its ushully some sort of scam and these scammers are getting better and better everyday.

wikked
02-26-2010, 01:17 PM
1st link in google:

http://pauliophonic.com/post/331059043/thanks-for-you-reply-i-am-located-in-remsenburg

/thread

DirtyMax
02-26-2010, 01:40 PM
Gold Star. I shouldnt have been so lazy.... :goof

Yooformula
02-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Paypal can nail you too if the funds bounce back so dont rely on that for protection and using usps money orders sent certified usually gives you a recourse as it is considered a federal offense at that point. but in the end cash face to face with a counterfeit marker is the only way to really be sure.