PDA

View Full Version : My injection pump/ Huckstorf diesel story...

DoubleAron
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
So my VP44 injection pump took a dump on my Cummins this past Saturday. I was doing some checking and narrowed it down to the pump.

I did the normal checking around on the internet getting prices etc.
Everyone sells the same pump for anywhere from $1020-$1200. I even found a place that would sell it for $900 but it seemed like kind of a shady deal where I had to apply for all these rebates and pay his Ebay fees and so on.

I stopped by Huckstorf because I was in the area and I have bought a couple of things from them in the past.
I spoke with John Huckstorf and he told me a few things to check and also gave me their tester to try. I thought this was an awesome thing to do for just some walk in customer. He did seem like he remembered me from my other purchases there but I still thought it was very cool of him to let me try it.

He told me not to worry about bringing it back because he would be up in the Milwaukee area the next day and we could meet up.

I talked to him about a price of their pump and it was $1160 so it was $260 more then what I could find else where. At this time I kind of felt obligated to by it from them for letting me use the tool. I am a person who likes to support local businesses as much as possible but as with everyone now cash is king and I had a hard time spending an extra $260.

I called John yesterday and told him what I could find the pump for. He knocked the price down a little and I told him I would come pick it up.

This is when he told me he lives in Hartland (I live in Pewaukee) and he could meet me with the new pump tonight (last night). I had class last night so he told me he would meet me at WCTC to give me the pump. Well with the lake effect snow he could not make it seeing as he closes at 5pm and I start class at 6. He called and told me to swing by his house after class. I went and picked up the pump from his house and will install it tomorrow.

I just wanted to share what a great guy he was and so willing to help me out. It's great to see there are still people/business like this out there.
I did spend more but it was with a local guy with a business and a family trying to make a living like the rest of us. I wasn't dealing with some guy out of state that I will never meet sitting behind a keyboard and not caring about his customers.

DurtyKurty
02-25-2010, 12:16 PM
That's really cool.

I also had only good experiences with them.

T-Bag
02-25-2010, 12:36 PM
yeah the snow was terrible downthere last night, i was at huckstorf at around 5 dealing with a gauge problem. John is an awesome guy and talks to you like he's known you for years. I'm still having problems with my shitty autometer egt gauge (replaced probe a few weeks ago, now replaced the entire gauge last night and still being a pile, thinking the probewnt bad again) and thankfully they are doing their best to figure out what's going on. He even offered to come all the way out to the falls to pick the truck up from my work since its such a hassle to get down there.

Huckstorf gets a big thumbs up in my book.

Anakonda69
02-26-2010, 10:40 AM
john is a nice guy. i have only heard bad things about people who have had them work on their vehicles. but like any shop they have good techs and bad techs. i do love their dyno parties. lol

DoubleAron
02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
I had one of our 6.0 Fords towed down there today.

Monstr913
02-26-2010, 12:52 PM
yea john is cool shit mark is a nice guy too and most of the techs are descent guys, theres a few goofy ones...yea i bought some 4" band clamps and there credit card machine was broke so john told me just to keep em and he'd run it later...he let a friend of mine rack up a like $600 in parts before even talking about payment as we were going there like twice a day...

Russ Jerome
02-27-2010, 07:32 PM
I was working on some oddball 3 cylinder Japanese or Korean diesel in a bobcat or something, could not find a locator hole to pin prior to removing the pump for repair (dead squirter), called and before I could get a guy the chick on the phone said "oh just bring number one to TDC on comp and pull it, we'll send it back same way".

Pulled and sent them the pump with one bad hole, I paint maked the gears prior to pulling. Installed and the little 3 banger fired instantly with no temp varience between any two holes, thing ran mint.

*was a John Deer with a jap motor, remeber now.

SmokinRAM114
03-01-2010, 09:32 AM
the ONLY person to deal with there is John. and Aaron remember to remove the support bracket next time. I know you were in a rush so you werent late for the date with ur sister.

nismodave
03-01-2010, 09:37 AM
Nice to hear a POSITIVE story once in a while.

DoubleAron
03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
the ONLY person to deal with there is John. and Aaron remember to remove the support bracket next time. I know you were in a rush so you werent late for the date with ur sister.

:thumbsup

Russ Jerome
03-01-2010, 03:12 PM
More importantly dont forget to "re-install" pump brackets, #1 failure of Cummins front covers!