PDA

View Full Version : Anyone cut meat?

juicedimpss
02-22-2010, 10:49 AM
Im looking to buy bulk chicken for my dog. Anyone here work for a butcher?

Crawlin
02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
that's too much $....

(just getting it out of the way)

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 11:04 AM
my parents raise about 300 chickens a year we have about 50 chicks in the freezer at the moment, but i would think what we want for price might be high. each chicken weighsabout 12-14 lbs.

juicedimpss
02-22-2010, 11:05 AM
ive heard of others buying bulk for somewhere around @ .40/lb

chris,thats actually cheaper than buying "dog food"

PureSound15
02-22-2010, 11:06 AM
50 lbs of dog food at Sams club for $34 :thumbsup

juicedimpss
02-22-2010, 11:07 AM

ever read what is in it?
:confused

PureSound15
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM
ever read what is in it?
:confused

We did when we first got her, we tried to pick the one that had the least corn and other fill in it. Right now though, she's on a diet dog food since she got a little fat off of Raw Hides (it was the only thing that would keep her calm while we were training her away from seperation anxiety).

We bought the really expensive dog food for a while, but it was strange giving her 1/3 of the amount of food that we usually give her and it never seemed to fill her up. She'd just sit by her bowl and want more.

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 11:11 AM

this is what i feed my 115lb male lab

it acutally has dryed pieces of chicken in it. he loves it. Of course he has been known to eat his own shit once and a while but he seems to like eating this dog food more. :goof

http://www.proplan.com/products/ChickenRice_DryDog.html

my mothers boyfriend is a vet he says this is the best food you can buy. i pay 45 for a 50lb bag

PureSound15
02-22-2010, 11:13 AM
^^ that stuff looks pretty good. I know labeling dog food is different, but as long as the first ingredients aren't fillers, I'm OK with it. I'd prefer it to be some kind of driet protein like chicken.

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 11:16 AM
^^ that stuff looks pretty good. I know labeling dog food is different, but as long as the first ingredients aren't fillers, I'm OK with it. I'd prefer it to be some kind of driet protein like chicken.

its awesome dog food i feed him a cup of food in the morning and a cup of it at night. That seems to keep him in good weight along with the fact he doesnt begg.

:drool:= my dog begging... no dice.

PureSound15
02-22-2010, 11:18 AM
its awesome dog food i feed him a cup of food in the morning and a cup of it at night. That seems to keep him in good weight along with the fact he doesnt begg.

:drool:= my dog begging... no dice.

I didn't know you'd be contributing to this thread as a dog lover - rather, I thought you and your roommate would be in here celebrating your undying love of Meat :sgay

Sorry, Ron.

Let's continue with the adult conversation.

juicedimpss
02-22-2010, 11:26 AM
this is what i feed my 115lb male lab

it acutally has dryed pieces of chicken in it. he loves it. Of course he has been known to eat his own shit once and a while but he seems to like eating this dog food more. :goof

http://www.proplan.com/products/ChickenRice_DryDog.html

my mothers boyfriend is a vet he says this is the best food you can buy. i pay 45 for a 50lb bag

"Chicken, brewers rice, whole grain wheat, poultry by-product meal (natural source of glucosamine), corn gluten meal, "

or the way im looking at doing it,no BS fillers for less than half the cost. I cant find a reason a Rottweiler would be grazing in a rice patty or corn field.

you know what they consider "poultry by-product meal"? i can assure you it is nothing you would want to eat.lol

Dr.Buick
02-22-2010, 11:29 AM
When you came out talk to julie. Se has look in to a lot of diffrent foods with out Great Dane. and that dog its not a cheep date.

Rocket Power
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
We tried doing one of the "good" foods for my dog, he kept getting sick and then would refuse to eat. He eats dog chow now and is fine:rolf

DynoTom
02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
This is what I feed my Great Dane Shelby.....not cheap but , I know it's good for her and since Danes have a very short life span I want to do what i can to give her the best....

http://www.evopet.com/products/default.asp?id=1490

Car Guy
02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I didn't know you'd be contributing to this thread as a dog lover - rather, I thought you and your roommate would be in here celebrating your undying love of Meat :sgay

:rolf:rolf:rolf

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Sorry, Ron.

Let's continue with the adult conversation.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8_wr0tGP_0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Z8_wr0tGP_0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

on a serious note you gotta give your dog what works for it. my dog is a garbage disposal it eats everything . I'm very lucky to have a vet in the family after all the crap he has eaten in the past.. "including used tampons" :puke

the pro plan works super well for him. seems to keep his coat in check. his shedding is down and he doesnt have a super oily lab coat.

Nix
02-22-2010, 12:39 PM
[YOUTUBE]

after all the crap he has eaten in the past.. "including used tampons" :puke

Was that a used tampon from your gaping bloody wound that once was called an asshole? :rolf :goof

Sorry I had to say it, carry on....

gottwins?
02-22-2010, 12:52 PM
My rott has been on dog chow for about 10 years and is strong as an ox. He also LOVES to eat leaves and grass. Between him and the husky that 50 pound bag goes quick! Thanks sams club. :thumbsup

DirtyMax
02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
We've been feeding BilJac for many years. It's about $40 for a 35 lb. bag so middle of the road. We supplement their meals with a TBSP of cooked white rice. It's a good healthy filler and it's so crazy cheap. We just boil up a few cups every so often and when it's gone, we boil up some more.

I tried switching them to the fancy mostly-meat Evo but it was waaaay too rich for our Belgian.

I had my lab on Diamond brand food about 6 years ago but she didn't seem to care for it. It's pretty run of the mill food but $25-$30 for 50# so it was a pretty cheap food.

hrsp
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
you want to see EXPENSIVE dog food...go to whole foods and look at there selection...my company distributes to them and they hace some cat and dog food that is crazy expensive...we also sell organic tampons and organic ass wipe....lol

0TransAm0
02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
im a butcher.. i work at PNS tho. used to work at brossmans on hwy 31 and hwy G in caladonia. worked there for 6 1/2 years. you can call them and they can get you a case of chicken backs or chicken necks if you want. they are 40lb cases i believe. when i worked there we had a couple regular customers that would order it. if i remember correctly they may even be able to grind it for you. it will cost more but they can do it. and if you wanted they could package it in what ever size packages you need and freeze it. again that would probably cost a little more. best bet is to call them and ask. ask for john or jeff,they will take care of you.

michelle
02-22-2010, 04:04 PM
When you came out talk to julie. Se has look in to a lot of diffrent foods with out Great Dane. and that dog its not a cheep date.

What does she feed?

pOrk
02-22-2010, 04:10 PM
Purina is the best dog food? LOL really? Where is he a vet so I know where to avoid like the plague...

Dr.Buick
02-22-2010, 05:11 PM
What does she feed?
some crap thats 50 bucks a bag, thann moist food. and chicken, rice, that dog eats better than me

DR.FORD
02-22-2010, 05:38 PM
I cut the cheese...:goof

Holeshot
02-22-2010, 06:47 PM
. I'm very lucky to have a vet in the family after all the crap he has eaten in the past.. "including used tampons" :puke

Seriously WTF :rolleyes: Why would you share that.

juicedimpss
02-22-2010, 08:51 PM
im a butcher.. i work at PNS tho. used to work at brossmans on hwy 31 and hwy G in caladonia. worked there for 6 1/2 years. you can call them and they can get you a case of chicken backs or chicken necks if you want. they are 40lb cases i believe. when i worked there we had a couple regular customers that would order it. if i remember correctly they may even be able to grind it for you. it will cost more but they can do it. and if you wanted they could package it in what ever size packages you need and freeze it. again that would probably cost a little more. best bet is to call them and ask. ask for john or jeff,they will take care of you.

thank you.
does PNS offer anything similar to brossmans?

Reverend Cooper
02-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I don't cut meat,just the cheese.

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 09:23 PM
Purina is the best dog food? LOL really? Where is he a vet so I know where to avoid like the plague...

thats your opinion:rolleyes:

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Seriously WTF :rolleyes: Why would you share that.

im simply stating my dog is a tank. he eats everything.

0TransAm0
02-22-2010, 09:33 PM
thank you.
does PNS offer anything similar to brossmans?

i can look in the order book tomorrow and will let you know. i work till 3. if i could get it any pns can. what exactly did you want? chicken necks? backs? would you want it ground up or left as is? I'm not sure if we can grind chicken because we only have the one grinder and because of cross contamination issues.. but i can find out.

juicedimpss
02-23-2010, 08:22 AM
i can look in the order book tomorrow and will let you know. i work till 3. if i could get it any pns can. what exactly did you want? chicken necks? backs? would you want it ground up or left as is? I'm not sure if we can grind chicken because we only have the one grinder and because of cross contamination issues.. but i can find out.

Prob both necks/backs. Im thinking i could get away with not grinding it up,it would prob keep the dog busy chewing.
Thanks

PureSound15
02-23-2010, 08:49 AM
I take your dog is outside a lot, Ron? I can't imagine that chicken parts would be fun to have torn apart inside your home.

juicedimpss
02-23-2010, 08:51 AM
I take your dog is outside a lot, Ron? I can't imagine that chicken parts would be fun to have torn apart inside your home.

he has a dish in the kitchen,thats where he eats.
:D

0TransAm0
02-23-2010, 03:31 PM
sorry man. can't get it at PNS. i guess we used to be able to but not anymore. our warehouse doesn't carry them. brossmans i know can for sure. probably be about .40-.75 cents a pound. any meat market should be able to if you don't want to go to brossmans. not sure where you live but the 3 meat markets in the racine area i know for sure can get them. Brossmans, Danny's, and George town meats.

michelle
02-23-2010, 03:35 PM
If you have a large freezer and know friends who feed their animals raw, this is a good option:

http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/sustainableselections/