PDA

View Full Version : computer issue please help

Flicktitty
02-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Hey guy's my moms business computer has a issue.

On Thursday evening we lost power and the computer was still on. well when she tried turning it on the computer will not start.

it's a Dell computer it runs on Windows 05? i believe?

everything that is plugged into the surge protector still works except the computer (the printer and monitor still power on)

the "power" light on the front flash's orange too now. any help? thanks.

xxsn0blindxx
02-21-2010, 11:28 PM
The first thing to troubleshoot against would be the power supply. The best way to test is to temporarily connect a known god power supply, but if you don't have one handy you can disconnect the 20 or 24-pin harness from the motherboard (with AC power disconnected from the system) and use a paperclip to connect the green power on lead to any one of the black leads. Reconnect AC power to the power supply and this should result in the power supply fan spinning up, however it does not indicate if the power supply is necessarily functioning properly as the voltage and/or current on the other leads may not be functioning properly. However if the power supply does nothing then you can know it is bad.

http://notebook.arkane-systems.net/images/5/5a/Atx-power-supply-pinout.gif

If the fan does spin up when the power on lead is jumpered to ground then reconnect the main harness to the motherboard and remove the power connections to the drives and attempt to power on the system. If nothing happens there is a high likelihood that the motherboard is bad. You can try removing all add-in cards and disconnecting the drive data cables from the motherboard, but very rarely are these ever a cause of a no power on condition.

If you have any questions feel free to post back or PM me.