PDA

View Full Version : 96 grand am gt problem with belt

theavenger333
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
got a 96 grand am GT with the v6 in it. tensioner froze, belt got a chunk or 2 out of it. got it back to my house, have to go in from the wheel well, with some creative trimming to replacer the tensioner. got it all in, but how in the hell do i get the belt on? the PS pump/pulley is right up top in the middle, and the belt has to go over the top of it, but there is NO way that i can see to do it. the motor mount is right next to the pulley, theres about 2 cm clearance. the bracket goes all the way around it, i can't figure this out. i tried loosening the motor mount, it drops the motor quickly, and makes it even worse to get it. taking off the PS pump pulley isn't an option either, can't get at the bolt. anyone know these cars? help!

Car Guy
02-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Support the engine before removing the mount bracket, once it is off you will have plenty of room.....

Dr.Buick
02-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Put a 2x4 and a jack under the oil pan remove mount and jack engine up.

Car Guy
02-22-2010, 03:43 PM
You could also support it from the top with an engine hoist (a.k.a. cherry picker).....

theavenger333
02-23-2010, 02:45 PM
i do'nt have a manual for this car, i was hoping someone had an easy way, or i had missed something easy..... last resort is pulling the whole engine mount out. thought maybe a GM tech or 2 knew something i didn't

Dr.Buick
02-23-2010, 09:55 PM
i do'nt have a manual for this car, i was hoping someone had an easy way, or i had missed something easy..... last resort is pulling the whole engine mount out. thought maybe a GM tech or 2 knew something i didn't
I am a gm master tech and that is the easy way. mount will take all of 5 min to get uot if yoour slow

brotherbenn83
02-24-2010, 12:15 AM
+1 on Dr. Buick. For whatever reason they always liked to make the Pontiac engine bays smaller and more cramped even for basic stuff. Still easier than pulling the belt off an LS4 Impala.

Car Guy
02-24-2010, 09:46 AM