PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get my first gun. Suggestions?

WhatsADSM
02-21-2010, 07:35 PM
So. Just went for the 3rd time shooting with my father-in-law and figured it has always been in the back of my mind to pick up a gun (or two) for home defense. I am in no real hurry to pick something up just figured I would get the ball rolling a little and do some research.

I am a gun n00b and know just the basics and what I have researched. My request in this thread is 3 fold.

1st: Does any one have suggestions on what they think I should look into?
Again this will be only for home protection and that is it. I would potentially be using it, as well as my wife.. My wife is pretty small (5'2" + small hands), although last time we went shooting she says was comfortable shooting the .40 S&W rounds through my father-in-law's guns. Again I am not looking for a competition gun here just something reliable, accurate, and simple. While I am not made of money, I definately appreciate a nicer piece. So cost isn't *too* important.

FWIW, I think the a .357 revolver will be at the top of the list. Along with some of the more reliable .40 or 9mm semi-autos. Everything we look at will be DA.

2nd: Is there anyone willing to go shooting with me that has a few different guns to try? I'll definately pay for the rounds if we go. Reading/hearing suggestions from people is one thing however actually shooting different guns is probably what will make my decision. FWIW I have only shot what my father-in-law owns. A .40 cal Sig and Glock, and a cheapy 9mm taurus (I do not know the model numbers of any of them). I definately was a fan of the Sig, but the glock was close behind and funny enough seemed to jam less?!

3rd: I have not had an official gun safety class or training. Only a quick "do this, don't do that" instruction. Anyone have any suggestions on a place to go for it? Also is there anything I need to know about the legality of purchasing a weapon? I know there is a background check/waiting period, but is there anything else I should know about?

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Talk to Coopsbrother on here he is the resident FFL guru. also I have the guns your looking to shoot and would not mind letting you try them out. my suggestion on gun is relative.Its what i think or my opinion not what you may be comfortable with.
i would want a 9mm with hollow points if i had only one gun for home defense,they hold alotta rounds if you are not that great a shot you may just scare them away with all the noise.
myself i am a decent shot and would choose a.45acp with hollow points. but thats just me.
again only my opinion.

Silver350
02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Its up to you. When I bought my gun I wanted something cheap to shoot, and would be able to stop someone if needed. I chose the 9mm for that reason. I figured I would go the route of a Sig Sauer SP2022 and have been happy with it.

Coops Brother
02-21-2010, 08:58 PM
Are you set on a larger bore gun? Walther makes a P22, and Sig arms makes a Mosquito,
both in .22LR, both are loud with CCI Stingers, accurate, and cheap to shoot.
As a 1st handgun, I suggest a .22LR, otherwise you will most likely develop a "jerk"
when pulling the trigger, caused by anticipating a loud noise and recoil, and then jerking the trigger, which is not a good habit to have when trying to learn to shoot accurately.
It is a most difficult habit to break, I've a friend, he's 72, he has a "jerk" and is always shooting 2 inches left, I shoot his gun, bullseye. He knows it, but can't break the habit.

Anyhoooo.....unless you gotta have a 40 or a 9, I'd start with a nice .22LR. And, by the way a .22 LR is a stopper, any loud bang usually will stop an attacker.

My 1st was a High Standard 5" Bull barreled stainless .22LR. $500.
I still have it. It is my most favorite handgun, and one that I can always count on for a direct hit on the "10"

Coop

Silver350
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
To build on what coops brother said. You could always do what I am thinking about purchasing for my next gun and get a P220 Classic by Sig. You can also purchase a conversion kit to step up to a .45

Coops Brother
02-21-2010, 09:17 PM
To build on what coops brother said. You could always do what I am thinking about purchasing for my next gun and get a P220 Classic by Sig. You can also purchase a conversion kit to step up to a .45

Great idea. But a beginner shooter needs to get the basic shooting skills down pat, 1st and foremost. You don't want to be the guy that has the fastest, coolest looking, high HP car, but don't know how to run it at the strip. <---- BCM'r terminology ;)

Crawlin
02-21-2010, 09:30 PM
I have the Sig Mosquito.... after having the girlfriend shoot it, she's a bit more comfortable now with my XD9.

When I shoot the gun, I can sometimes feel me doing the jerk that CoopsBro is talking about. So I shoot the sig to try and get rid of that and get the muscle memory correct. It's also another reason why I will be taking a course from the guy at Fletcher's. Every little bit can help, and I've heard he's great with women shooters in regards to pace and explanation so they don't feel overwhelmed. So I'm trying to get the g/f to come with.

If you come out with us sometime, you can shoot my XD or the Sig no prob.

Russ Jerome
02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
I've never owned a revolver until this year, have owned semi autos in various calibers before.

I'm REALY liking this little Charter Arms 38 snub nose I inherited, find myself dropping it in my front pants pocket when stepping outide with the dog at night. Its a tiny gun and the trigger pull is enough Im not afraid of it going off if a daughter was to mishandle it. No kick and leaves very large holes in targets, small bullet makes a mess I bet it would turn a perp around running if he lived thru the 125gr bullet exiting his chest or head.

Next new gun I buy will be a composite or lightweight revolver, no gimicks just a small pkg that travels well, never felt good about having a slide action eating pocket lint.

Silver350
02-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Great idea. But a beginner shooter needs to get the basic shooting skills down pat, 1st and foremost. You don't want to be the guy that has the fastest, coolest looking, high HP car, but don't know how to run it at the strip. <---- BCM'r terminology ;)

I forgot to add that the P220 Classic is a .22 cal. Once you are ready to move up you can pick up a .45 conversion kit to switch the gun over once you get use to it.

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 10:31 PM
I will be honest at this point my home protection gun is still a .45 and a revolver,It just happens to be loaded with 000 buckshot shotgun shells

Crawlin
02-21-2010, 10:36 PM
LMAO...

so taht was you that shot the dude in the groin with the birdshot?

HITMAN
02-22-2010, 10:05 AM
I agree 1000% with what Coop's brother said. Get a .22, get some professional insruction on the do's and don'ts and some basic marksmanship training, and you will have a gun that you will always be able to afford to shoot and a foundation in correct firearm usage that will last you a lifetime. Build your collection on that cornerstone and you will never be sorry. BTW, I would recommend a Ruger or a Browning Buckmark for a good starter gun.

WhatsADSM
02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
A 9mm is a larger bore? really?

I guess I am not opposed to using a .22, but I mean there really isn't much stopping power there right? I honestly just selected the sizes I did because they are big enough to have stopping power without being too big. Also they are all pretty cheap to shoot (albiet not as much as the .22 but still).

So to be honest, I highly doubt my wife will go shooting more than once a year and likely I will only go twice. I don't really think I will ever have much of a collection. So I figured might as well get comfortable with the gun (or guns) that we would actually have to use if in a situation.

But yea I am open to suggestions, if people really feel like my wife and I should get a .22 and go from there then so be it.

Crawlin
02-22-2010, 10:32 AM
A 9mm is a larger bore? really?

I guess I am not opposed to using a .22, but I mean there really isn't much stopping power there right? I honestly just selected the sizes I did because they are big enough to have stopping power without being too big. Also they are all pretty cheap to shoot (albiet not as much as the .22 but still).

So to be honest, I highly doubt my wife will go shooting more than once a year and likely I will only go twice. I don't really think I will ever have much of a collection. So I figured might as well get comfortable with the gun (or guns) that we would actually have to use if in a situation.

But yea I am open to suggestions, if people really feel like my wife and I should get a .22 and go from there then so be it.

Seriously, you say that now.... but look at what I just pulled off.

A hobby in which the girlfriend(who wouldn't allow me in the same room as her while I cleaned it) who now has her own to shoot and yells at me if I go without her, hahaha.

You'd be suprised just how much fun you could have. Maybe not a huge collection, but still a couple of them to have fun with.

That_Guy
02-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I've never owned a revolver until this year, have owned semi autos in various calibers before.

I'm REALY liking this little Charter Arms 38 snub nose I inherited, find myself dropping it in my front pants pocket when stepping outide with the dog at night. Its a tiny gun and the trigger pull is enough Im not afraid of it going off if a daughter was to mishandle it. No kick and leaves very large holes in targets, small bullet makes a mess I bet it would turn a perp around running if he lived thru the 125gr bullet exiting his chest or head.

Next new gun I buy will be a composite or lightweight revolver, no gimicks just a small pkg that travels well, never felt good about having a slide action eating pocket lint.

RUGER LCR!!!!!!!!! will be my next pistol.. its perfect for carry and night stands. get the crimson tracer with it and you are set.

http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger-LCR/DSC06207.JPG

juicedimpss
02-22-2010, 11:57 AM
murray,you are more than welcome to try my subcompact .40 glock if you would like.

Rocket Power
02-22-2010, 01:51 PM
If you're using it strictly for HD and maybe some range time (since we don't have CCW here), I would go with a fullsize semi auto, 4-6" barrel revolver or a 18" barrel shotgun. A fullsize is easier to shoot and will have less recoil than a compact in the same caliber. You could get a .357 revolver and shoot .38 wadcutters in it for practice. Very little recoil with those.

Whatever you get, get some kind of training. Whether it's with someone here to spend the day with you at the range or from an actual trainer.

Russ Jerome
02-22-2010, 01:53 PM
RUGER LCR!

Read my mind, no slides to get dirty, no recoil 38, I would'nt be afraid to dive thru a window firing at the same time. Nice pocket gun.

fivonut
02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
I will be honest at this point my home protection gun is still a .45 and a revolver,It just happens to be loaded with 000 buckshot shotgun shells

I have 5 handguns in calibers from .22 to 50 and my home defense weapon of choice is still a Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel and 7 round magazine loaded with 00 Buckshot.

If you want to learn to shoot handguns get a nice .22 semi auto like Brian suggested.

If you're concerned about home defense pick up the Mossberg JIC (Just In Case) shotgun and fill it with buckshot!!

WhatsADSM
02-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I have 5 handguns in calibers from .22 to 50 and my home defense weapon of choice is still a Mossberg 500 with 20" barrel and 7 round magazine loaded with 00 Buckshot.

If you want to learn to shoot handguns get a nice .22 semi auto like Brian suggested.

If you're concerned about home defense pick up the Mossberg JIC (Just In Case) shotgun and fill it with buckshot!!

^^^ Yea maybe that is where I am getting a little confused.

To be honest I don't really want (or in many cases need) to be the best shot out there. I just need to be "good enough", keep up those skills with practice once or twice a year, and have gun(s) that are simple and will do the job.

I know it sounds weird to many of you. But at this point I'm just not *that* into it especially as a hobby. It doesn't need to be a badass shotgun. I really don't care if the gun is fucking pink and shaped like a dildo as long as it is simple to operate and reliable, and does its job. (that sounded pretty bad didn't it :goof)

Although I agree a shotgun and 00 Buckshot is likely very effective in home protection. I have no need to wield around a 20" barrel in a defensive situation, not to mention my wife just couldn't handle it. The same can truthfully be said of being a perfect shot. Any distance in my house would be extremely short (old 2100 sq. ft. house) and truthfully with a .357, .40 cal or the right 9mm ammo a "decent" shot would go a long way. Seems like most of you are saying my wife and I should get to be a great shot with a .22 then step up. Knowing my wife and I that might take a LONG time to just get past being a great shot with the .22 and never even purchase the gun we would actually use.

What am I missing?

If you're using it strictly for HD and maybe some range time (since we don't have CCW here), I would go with a fullsize semi auto, 4-6" barrel revolver or a 18" barrel shotgun. A fullsize is easier to shoot and will have less recoil than a compact in the same caliber. You could get a .357 revolver and shoot .38 wadcutters in it for practice. Very little recoil with those.

Whatever you get, get some kind of training. Whether it's with someone here to spend the day with you at the range or from an actual trainer.

That was almost exactly what I was thinking (A 4"(ish) barrel 357 revolver) seems like it makes the most sense. Simple, super reliable, always ready, good stopping power, and fairly easy to handle. That plus some training for my wife and I, and some practice once or twice a year.

Russ Jerome
02-22-2010, 04:50 PM
I like the feel of my AR for home defence, just in case there are 20-30 angry mob :)
Im sitting here with the 38 in my pocket, love a warm gun !

MurphysLaw88GT
02-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Pump shotgun with buckshot for home defense. Familiarize yourselves with operation of weapon and try it a few times. Handguns tend to require more practice to attain proficiency. A shotgun may seem cumbersome, but if needed, I think you may be better served in the end due to simple operation and terrific short-range firepower. If for home defense, put a bright ass light on it if you want. It may be useful if you wake up at 3:00am from a slumber. Good for target I.D., and what ever is in the light dies if it is not friendly.

Otherwise a good revolver is user friendly and reliable. Many can be very compact and handy also.

But again, try everything you may feel tempted to buy. Between all of us, an example of almost anything you can think of can be had to try before you buy. If you only buy one, make sure you like it, not because someone else said to like it.

Silver350
02-22-2010, 05:30 PM
In your case I would have to agree with maybe a revolver for you. Its small light weight and easy maintenace...... Not like a Semi Auto is hard to clean. How ever for the way they shoot you would have to ask someone else because I have never shot one.

Crawlin
02-22-2010, 06:30 PM
^^^ Yea maybe that is where I am getting a little confused.

To be honest I don't really want (or in many cases need) to be the best shot out there. I just need to be "good enough", keep up those skills with practice once or twice a year, and have gun(s) that are simple and will do the job.

I know it sounds weird to many of you. But at this point I'm just not *that* into it especially as a hobby. It doesn't need to be a badass shotgun. I really don't care if the gun is fucking pink and shaped like a dildo as long as it is simple to operate and reliable, and does its job. (that sounded pretty bad didn't it :goof)

Although I agree a shotgun and 00 Buckshot is likely very effective in home protection. I have no need to wield around a 20" barrel in a defensive situation, not to mention my wife just couldn't handle it. The same can truthfully be said of being a perfect shot. Any distance in my house would be extremely short (old 2100 sq. ft. house) and truthfully with a .357, .40 cal or the right 9mm ammo a "decent" shot would go a long way. Seems like most of you are saying my wife and I should get to be a great shot with a .22 then step up. Knowing my wife and I that might take a LONG time to just get past being a great shot with the .22 and never even purchase the gun we would actually use.

What am I missing?

That was almost exactly what I was thinking (A 4"(ish) barrel 357 revolver) seems like it makes the most sense. Simple, super reliable, always ready, good stopping power, and fairly easy to handle. That plus some training for my wife and I, and some practice once or twice a year.

You'd be suprised I bet with the girlfriend thing. Like I said, mine had never touched nor wanted to even be around a gun. Go read the topic I started about a "fun" sunday. I show what the girlfriend did with the little .22LR pistol.

And I'd recommend the smaller caliper especially so the girlfriend can get used to the sound of how loud certain things can be. Mine was scared off by the sound of the 9mm. Recoil was fine, but the sound scared her. That's something that you have to work on with her. Cause you don't want her freaking out at the sound in a small house w/ echoing if she ever had to use it.

BR3W CITY
02-22-2010, 06:33 PM
http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

im tempted by one of these. I mean, you COULD carry it.

Reverend Cooper
02-22-2010, 09:22 PM
murray if you ever wanna shoot some different pistols let me know I have a few

Rocket Power
02-23-2010, 12:23 AM
another choice would be a rifle with a bayonet, even if you run out of ammo you can still do a bayonet charge:rolf

But in all seriousness a .357 revolver does sound like it would probably be your best bet, and with the .38 special wadcutters for practice, there is almost no recoil so it'll be easy to learn with.

Reverend Cooper
02-23-2010, 09:23 PM
^ true my .357 is great for target prcatice with wad cutters,but the mags are where its at.

Lash
02-23-2010, 09:37 PM
I love the feel of .357 mags. It's a different kind of recoil.

Reverend Cooper
02-23-2010, 09:40 PM
that .45 long colt,you would love it with the hot rod rounds

Coops Brother
02-23-2010, 10:18 PM
Pump shotgun with buckshot for home defense. Familiarize yourselves with operation of weapon and try it a few times. Handguns tend to require more practice to attain proficiency. A shotgun may seem cumbersome, but if needed, I think you may be better served in the end due to simple operation and terrific short-range firepower. If for home defense, put a bright ass light on it if you want. It may be useful if you wake up at 3:00am from a slumber. Good for target I.D., and what ever is in the light dies if it is not friendly.

Otherwise a good revolver is user friendly and reliable. Many can be very compact and handy also.

But again, try everything you may feel tempted to buy. Between all of us, an example of almost anything you can think of can be had to try before you buy. If you only buy one, make sure you like it, not because someone else said to like it.

And if you still missed afteer 5 rounds of buck shot, you can still use it as a bat....:chair: