PDA

View Full Version : lookin at a DSLR's ??

0TransAm0
02-21-2010, 11:55 AM
whats a good one for a beginner? was looking at the Nikon D5000 pkg deal from best buy.Or would something a little cheaper be OK like the rebel? looking to spend no more than 1k on a camera/lens/bag pkg. and want something that takes nice pics but is user friendly.

what you camera guru's think?

SSScottSS
02-21-2010, 12:46 PM
You will get some who will tell you to buy this or that brand, just like if you ask car guys what car to buy. Really it boils down to personal preference. All the DSLR's are capable of amazing photographs. I've seen remarkable pictures, on the photography forums, that were taken with simple point and shoots.

Look around at the different offerings, hold them, see what feels good. See which ones features will work best with the type of pictures you plan to take, etc.

Personally I shoot a Sony, a much less popular choice, but I felt it was the right choice for me. Canon and Nikon are the most popular.

GTSLOW
02-21-2010, 01:04 PM
Rebel XSI

0TransAm0
02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
well the wifey wanted to go and "look" and we ended up walking out with the D5000 and a 55-200mm zoom lens a very nice bag to hold everything a decent tri pod. with a 4 year warrenty for just a cunt hair over 1k. they have a nice pkg deal going on and baasically got the lens for free. we also bought a UV filter..

now i just have to learn how to use the damn thing :D

Goat Roper
02-21-2010, 06:58 PM
well the wifey wanted to go and "look" and we ended up walking out with the D5000 and a 55-200mm zoom lens a very nice bag to hold everything a decent tri pod. with a 4 year warrenty for just a cunt hair over 1k. they have a nice pkg deal going on and baasically got the lens for free. we also bought a UV filter..

now i just have to learn how to use the damn thing :D

That 55-200 lens is actually an 88-320 since the 5000 is a cropped sensor, thats REALLY long for indoor shooting around the house.

Best way to learn is to throw it in auto but pay attention to what the camera is telling you. Once you get an idea of how to set everything, move to manual.

0TransAm0
02-21-2010, 07:03 PM
yeah i figured the extra lens was more of an outdoor/shooting from a distance type lens. it also came with a 18-55mm lens. which we have been playing with indoor.

and damn does this camera do nice crisp pics.

SSScottSS
02-21-2010, 11:36 PM
Congrats on the purchase. If you're like me, you be searching out video tutorials and everything else you can on the net to help improve your pictures.

There sure is a lot to learn about photography, but it's also a very enjoyable learning curve. I wish I had taken some classes in school on it. At least with digital it doesn't cost anything to take tons of pictures

DirtyMax
02-22-2010, 07:17 PM
Congrats. You really can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. I chose Canon because a bunch of my friends shoot Canon so we can swap lenses etc.

Now save some $$ for some high end or faster glass. You think that camera takes sharp pics now....