PDA

View Full Version : anyone do welding/fab?

CarbonRX
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
i am looking for a welder/fabricator to possibly do business with at the moment and possibly in the future. i am currently looking for some seat brackets, and a battery tray made up.
i had one guy tell me 125 for 2 seat brackets:stare lol:rolf
if you are interested let me know through private message, please include some pics of your work also.

awsomeears
02-19-2010, 07:12 PM
$60 a piece sounds fair to me, I'll say it again without any issues.............. " Cheap and Quality Don't Go Together "

Carry on !!!

Dr.Buick
02-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Ron at Clocksoffracing.com juicedimpss on here. He is your man. Doing my car Did work for Dr.Ford.

SSLEVO
02-19-2010, 07:55 PM
yes, 125 sounds very reasonable to me for the brackets.

CarbonRX
02-19-2010, 08:03 PM
jouneryman welders/fabricator pay rate is 30-40 per hour, shouldn't take more than 2 hours to do plus materials cost. that would be fair to me.

awsomeears
02-19-2010, 09:08 PM
I love it how people place a time on work vs pay rate and expects it to cost a specific amount based off that..........

For instance today I installed a heat run in a ranch, I charged $125 including materials and time. Took me 1 hour and I tell ya what I make no where near $125 per hour.

There are skilled guys on here of all trades, they will do it right and a price comes with it.

Rant over :p

SSLEVO
02-19-2010, 09:57 PM
jouneryman welders/fabricator pay rate is 30-40 per hour, shouldn't take more than 2 hours to do plus materials cost. that would be fair to me.

Are we talking about a shop or a guy doing a side job here? Shop rate is a hell of a lot more than $30-40 an hour. I would say something closer to $60-$80 an hour. You have to pay for the labor AND all the expenses that support the labor, facilities, electricity, equipment, the list goes on.

Dr.Buick
02-19-2010, 10:08 PM
ok lets use what you say.
2 hours x 40.00 a hour = 80.00
gas for welder 10.00
wire for welder 5.00
electricity 5.00
blade to cut what ever you make it out of. 5.00
grinding wheel to clean before you weld 6.00
what ever you make it out of 20.00

total 131.00

pOrk
02-20-2010, 08:31 AM
125 is cheaper then I would charge, but then again I'm a spoiled Brake Operator :)

DR.FORD
02-20-2010, 08:44 AM
gas for welder 10.00
wire for welder 5.00
electricity 5.00

total 131.00

Aww c'mon Jim-that shit is free!!:rolf

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 09:31 AM
gas for welder 10.00
wire for welder 5.00
electricity 5.00

total 131.00

YOUR materials are EXPENSIVE wow. electricity $5.00.... really...

Cryptic
02-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Good welders ain't cheap.

Clock's Off Racing or OTE, both are site sponsors.

Myles
02-20-2010, 09:46 AM

I see why you are roomates with douchecanoe.

twicks69
02-20-2010, 10:43 AM

The quoted price is more than fair.

If you don't like it, do it yourself. Quit your bitchin cheapass.

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 11:17 AM
no. no it isn't "more than fair".
heres my math on it not some stupid exagerated/made up numbers.
labor-2 hours x $35hr=$70
Gas-$1 maybe lol
wire->$1 spools of wire are super long and to weld seat brackets wouldnt be more than 2' of wire if the welder doesn't waste any
electricity->$1
Blade-.... you dont need a new blade every damn job but we can call it wear to make y'all happy. ~.50
Grinding wheel- if you even need it with brand new metal, wear ~.50
metal- probably 20' max sqaure tube steel, ill give you that one $20 is about fair.

TOTAL = ~$94.00

yeah $125 might be fair if it was shop prices but im not looking for a shop, if i was i would have gone to the yellowpages instead of here.
also if i wanted to waited a few months i would do it myself, but at the moment i am not a skilled enough welder yet. so me wanting to get some brackets made is me being the opposite of a cheapass.

Myles
02-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Here is the thing, we have 2 people that advertise on the site that do what you are asking for. People gave their suggestions and you are telling them that they are wrong. So how about you just fuck off then?

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 11:22 AM
with the economy the way it is i dont know why the fuck im taking this kind of heat for trying to find someone who is looking for some side work at $35 a hour...
you don't wanna do it for 35 an hour then don't talk to me, i already have other people lined up who are willing to.

Myles
02-20-2010, 11:23 AM
If you don't want to support the people who support the site then go to those other people.

WhatsADSM
02-20-2010, 11:23 AM
$125 seems more than fair.

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Here is the thing, we have 2 people that advertise on the site that do what you are asking for. People gave their suggestions and you are telling them that they are wrong. So how about you just fuck off then?

sorry i don't have a 3705 post count and have not been on here long enough to notice that.:punch:

Myles
02-20-2010, 11:26 AM
So you are blind to the banners on the top of the page, or the sponsor section of the site? Post count has nothing to do with anything. Just means I have been here longer and have insulted people that many times.

Myles
02-20-2010, 11:26 AM
http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

There, maybe that will help you out since you are more than a little retarded.

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 11:32 AM
So you are blind to the banners on the top of the page, or the sponsor section of the site?
yeah. exactly i ignore them just like popups.

Post count has nothing to do with anything. Just means I have been here longer and have insulted people that many times.
congratulations on being a dick?

Prince Valiant
02-20-2010, 11:32 AM
i am looking for a welder/fabricator to possibly do business with at the moment and possibly in the future. i am currently looking for some seat brackets, and a battery tray made up.
i had one guy tell me 125 for 2 seat brackets:stare lol:rolf
if you are interested let me know through private message, please include some pics of your work also.Sorry, forgive that I cannot access private messages.

I am very interested in your offer to weld up the brackets at your stated fair estimate of $94.

Here's my portfolio;

http://iamdavidberry.com/exhaust/IMG_2334.JPG

I look very much forward to our future business dealings.

Cheers,
Prince Valiant

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 11:40 AM
since you didn't realize this from post #1

yeah $125 might be fair if it was shop prices but im not looking for a shop, if i was i would have gone to the yellowpages instead of here.
also if i wanted to waited a few months i would do it myself, but at the moment i am not a skilled enough welder yet. so me wanting to get some brackets made is me being the opposite of a cheapass.

and you link me to

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71

There, maybe that will help you out since you are more than a little retarded.
SHOPS, and call me a retard.:thumbsup

Myles
02-20-2010, 11:42 AM
You fail to see what is going on here. Sponsors get the say in work that is requested on the site cause they are paying for ad space.

Carbon, I would suggest you just stop talking. You are basically confirming the fact that you are indeed a tool. You come here asking for some shit to be done that 2 of our sponsors do and then you say you ignore their banners and forums. Nice, real nice.

NitrousPig
02-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Here, I have a great Idea...why don't you go buy a welder, a shop and supplies and do it yourself. Shit it should only cost you say 20 or 25 thousand to start, then turn the lights on!

$125 ain't to bad. I wouldn't even turn the lights on at my shop for less than $200 for some arrogent know it all like you!

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 11:57 AM
don't even play that card dude, acting like your being a dick for the good of the website? thats a laugh. the best thing for this website would obviously be notoriety, popularity, and members.

Sponsors get the say in work that is requested on the site cause they are paying for ad space.
THIS^ mentality would dissaude people from wanting to join.

Myles
02-20-2010, 11:59 AM
THIS^ mentality would dissaude people from wanting to join.

Good, please leave so I don't irrationally flex my mod powers.

Myles
02-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Here, I have a great Idea...why don't you go buy a welder, a shop and supplies and do it yourself. Shit it should only cost you say 20 or 25 thousand to start, then turn the lights on!

$125 ain't to bad. I wouldn't even turn the lights on at my shop for less than $200 for some arrogent know it all like you!

Win.

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 12:21 PM
someone giving you mod powers is as responsible as giving a monkey a gun. im done here:flipoff2:

Car Guy
02-20-2010, 12:23 PM
http://www.nerve.com/CS/blogs/scanner/goodbye-cruel-world.jpg

Myles
02-20-2010, 12:27 PM
someone giving you mod powers is as responsible as giving a monkey a gun. im done here:flipoff2:

Good.

badass88gt
02-20-2010, 01:09 PM
Lmfao, douchecanoe??? Where do you come up with this shit?

I don't think the Myles/mod and monkey/gun comparison is very accurate. The monkey would have pulled the trigger on this guy a long time ago. Myles is obviously (surprisingly) more patient.

Yooformula
02-20-2010, 01:14 PM
oh jeezz... I see why I get a call now.lol funny that I do think Myles was a bit more restraint than usual too. ftr, I tried to get some seat rails made up for the formula and couldnt find anything less than $200. And for a custom bracket set for the truck the cheapest that I found online was $400 for a GROUP rate!

Car Guy
02-20-2010, 01:19 PM
oh jeezz... I see why I get a call now.

*phone inside Yoo's car the call came in on*

:goof :rolf

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3015/2600860484_b532c12cea.jpg?v=0

British_Ben
02-20-2010, 01:21 PM

C'mon, you're giving up already? Apparently, you are not cut out for this forum.

$125 is a fair price for good work. Unless of course you'd like the welds to break when they are stressed (accidents, hard cornering/breaking/acceleration). If that's the case then please see Prince Valiant's Post. Although, those welds might not break, you just won't be able to bolt them to your seats/floor. :rolf

I'm in awe of your lack of rational. Everyone that posted in this thread thinks that is a fair price, so you are the minority. Yet, you stick to your own irrational opinion and make an ass out of yourself. You realize that you are trying to save $31 (based on your quote). 31 fucking dollars.... On a welding job.... really? :rolleyes:

Yooformula
02-20-2010, 01:22 PM
dude are you bagging on my batphone?

Car Guy
02-20-2010, 01:23 PM
dude are you bagging on my barphone?

BARphone, where the hell are you.....:confused

:rolf

Yooformula
02-20-2010, 01:27 PM
BARphone, where the hell are you.....:confused

dude now you are messing with my posts?:rolf:goof

Lash
02-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I'll do it for $124.00

You supply 2' of wire needed.

Car Guy
02-20-2010, 01:38 PM
dude now you are messing with my posts?:rolf:goof

No sir Mr. Ninja edit.....:shades

1320PNY
02-20-2010, 03:56 PM
congratulations on being a dick?

Myles FTW

1320PNY
02-20-2010, 04:03 PM
oh jeezz... I see why I get a call now.lol funny that I do think Myles was a bit more restraint than usual too. ftr, I tried to get some seat rails made up for the formula and couldnt find anything less than $200. And for a custom bracket set for the truck the cheapest that I found online was $400 for a GROUP rate!

Hey Yoo,

I got a TIG, a Port-a-ban, and a warm shop. I'll hook you up if you need help. Gas is $11 bucks an hour, I'll cut it so we don't need filler, and we can negotiate my time.

That or I'll give you $20.00 toward someone else doing it and we go get a beer somewhere. 10 more guys and your shit is done.

It's not about the money. It's relationships and a common passion.

That_Guy
02-20-2010, 05:04 PM
wow is all i have to say.. some how im not surprised this happened.

That_Guy
02-20-2010, 05:12 PM
I see why you are roomates with douchecanoe.

:rolleyes:

I sat on the couch and dissagreed with him last night about this..
Some people fail to understand the concept of overhead. When i was working for my father doing flooring we dealt with this once a week when i ran bids.

btw... myles.. your still an ugly mofo. :D

Myles
02-20-2010, 05:40 PM
btw... myles.. your still an ugly mofo. :D

Really? That's all you can come up with?

That_Guy
02-20-2010, 06:21 PM
Really? That's all you can come up with?

yeah... thats about it... :puppyeyes

Myles
02-20-2010, 06:32 PM
yeah... thats about it... :puppyeyes

http://www.tgdspeed.com/haha/picardgtfo.jpg

Reverend Cooper
02-20-2010, 07:30 PM
I can get it done for you for free at my work.But because you are uniformed and a mildy RE-tarded imbicile that has come here just to insult people and look like a fuck-tard in preparation for the special olympics,I will pass. I wouldn't want anyone to think I knew you or helped you,cuz yeah RE-tard rubs off.
Where the fuck do these guys come from,the economy is bad so do that shit for free.Your a fucking idiot.

Reverend Cooper
02-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Hey Yoo,

I got a TIG, a Port-a-ban, and a warm shop. I'll hook you up if you need help. Gas is $11 bucks an hour, I'll cut it so we don't need filler, and we can negotiate my time.

That or I'll give you $20.00 toward someone else doing it and we go get a beer somewhere. 10 more guys and your shit is done.

It's not about the money. It's relationships and a common passion.

if this were on a gayometer the needl is moving towards critical mass. lol j/k

awsomeears
02-20-2010, 08:16 PM
Anyone notice the Tags in the lower left hand corner, I just pissed myself !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ropesucker has aids..........

Ohhh BCM how I love this site !!!

CarbonRX
02-20-2010, 08:37 PM
y'all don't even know what kind of a fuckin job it is either which makes anyone who thinks 125 is a fair price even dumber.
fuckin internet mob mentality, just because a majority thinks its "fair" doesn't make it so, know what kind of a job it is before you give me your unrequested EXPERT opinions. im sure not everyone that has responded is an expert welder/fabricator.
when i said 2 hours i was being generous but you all can say that 125 is fair based off that.

the guy who quoted me 125 originally, thats 1.25 hours of work so by me offering 2 hours THATS whats really fair, but like i said mob mentality.

Dr.Buick
02-20-2010, 10:06 PM
y'all don't even know what kind of a fuckin job it is either which makes anyone who thinks 125 is a fair price even dumber.
im sure not everyone that has responded is an expert welder/fabricator.

the guy who quoted me 125 originally, that's 1.25 hours of work so by me offering 2 hours THATS whats really fair, but like i said mob mentality.

It took me 3 hours to ,make coil brackets, 8 hours to make injector brackets. that's why its called fab work. I get 50.00 for me to do work on the side, and IF you are a friend it's FREE. you asked I gave a FAIR price. If you don't like it JUST MOVE ON.

PS Myles was being Nice to you. your lucky:rolf

pOrk
02-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I am an ironworker / fabricator by trade. I normally don't do little parts, I specialize in making parts for caterpillar and recently have done side jobs on Car hoists making new uprights, so if you want my professional opinion here it is.

You are a homo.

Hows that?

Lash
02-21-2010, 01:17 AM
I am an ironworker / fabricator by trade. I normally don't do little parts, I specialize in making parts for caterpillar and recently have done side jobs on Car hoists making new uprights, so if you want my professional opinion here it is.

You are a homo.

Hows that?

Did you figure 2 hours or just 1.25 hours fab time into that estimate?

Nix
02-21-2010, 01:38 AM
fuckin internet mob mentality, just because a majority thinks its "fair" doesn't make it so, know what kind of a job it is before you give me your unrequested EXPERT opinions. im sure not everyone that has responded is an expert welder/fabricator.
when i said 2 hours i was being generous but you all can say that 125 is fair based off that.

the guy who quoted me 125 originally, thats 1.25 hours of work so by me offering 2 hours THATS whats really fair, but like i said mob mentality.

In your prior post to this one, you said you were "done here", well then what the fuck is this? For refrence I give you >>> http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/showpost.php?p=620714&postcount=31

You have to have some thick ass skin on this site at times and it dosen't look like you will make it here for very long. :crying

Mob mentality? You young man are pathetic. Your new name should be thin skin aka fore skin. :goof

Carry on...

CarbonRX
02-21-2010, 02:59 AM
i have plenty of offers from people to do this for my rate so whatever anybody has to say i dont really give a shit anymore:banana1:

Myles
02-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Good now get the fuck out like I fucking said to before.

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 08:50 AM
i have plenty of offers from people to do this for my rate so whatever anybody has to say i dont really give a shit anymore:banana1:

really,I hope you don't get in a accident and the seat tracks pop loose throwing you threw a lovely splintering windshield and face first into a tree.

NitrousPig
02-21-2010, 09:37 AM

Please make sure to post some pictures of the Job when its done

PureSound15
02-21-2010, 09:51 AM
I missed this thread. You need to find some friends that have skills and that LIKE you, so they'll help you out when you need shit done.

More work is traded on this forum than money, and for good reason. I don't think anyone is going to be interested in a rub down from you while singing Gloria Estefan in return for some welding (Well, maybe pOrk).

pOrk
02-21-2010, 11:09 AM
^ ;)

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 01:32 PM
I missed this thread. You need to find some friends that have skills and that LIKE you, so they'll help you out when you need shit done.

More work is traded on this forum than money, and for good reason. I don't think anyone is going to be interested in a rub down from you while singing Gloria Estefan in return for some welding (Well, maybe pOrk).

I can't recall ever charging anyone. Can you? or likewise when was the last time you charged someone when you helped them?
But again you and your friends aren't shards of feces on the ass of society either.

Prince Valiant
02-21-2010, 02:02 PM
fuckin internet mob mentality, just because a majority thinks its "fair" doesn't make it so, know what kind of a job it is before you give me your unrequested EXPERT opinions.Well, a "fair" price is when two people find terms that both agree to (IE, you get the service you want, they get the cash they want).

"Fair" isn't unilaterally dictated by you.

A sign of maturity on your part would be to accept when others don't agree to the deal you would like, rather than going on internet forums ridiculing how they value their time and effort...and what in fact, others apparently do pay for their services.

You call it "internet mob mentality" whereas this unruly "mob" tends to see it as it is...an individual or companies right to set their own conditions that you are free to agree or disagree with.

Since you've apparently found people willing to do the work, and you "don't care anymore" (or at least, you do care enough to make a post seemingly trying to rub others faces in it...another action that speaks volumes regarding your lack of maturity), that's great. Leave and don't let the door hit you on the way out.

PureSound15
02-21-2010, 03:03 PM
I can't recall ever charging anyone. Can you? or likewise when was the last time you charged someone when you helped them?
But again you and your friends aren't shards of feces on the ass of society either.

Not at all. I don't even charge for materials if I've got them laying around.

juicedimpss
02-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Please make sure to post some pictures of the Job when its done

x2.

thank you to those who suggested the site sponsors, the return on advertising is appreciated more than most know.

having said that,there is no way I would allow someone to tell me what they are paying for my work. I know my rates are more than fair for what I provide,and I'm certain that most of the other shop owners would say the same. The places that allow the customer to dictate the price come up with the profit in some way,can you figure out how? lol

Gregor
02-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Your rates are more than fucking fair Ron. And your quality from what have seen and been told to me by others is top notch. "Who is doing your work Greg" they ask me and I reply "Ron" and then they shut up. So I know its good to get that kind of response.

I have also heard of OTE and have seen their work on Andy's car. They are also top notch.

Well my welder cost me $495, gas was $125 with the tank. I bought my own. Plus you have my welding helmet there was a $250. Grinders and consumables, wire, grinding discs and other bull shit. 125 wouldn't even touch the cost of my helmet.

I have the tools but that doesn't mean I'm gonna start welding in cages, seat platforms and battery trays.

"And if your not nice to me I gonna take my ball and go home" fine go home we have plenty of balls here to play with.

Myles are you getting soft in your old age?

Monstr913
02-21-2010, 05:37 PM
$125 seems fair to me. I'm a welder/fitter and custom fab work ain't cheap, especially once you add asshole tax on to it...and if I were making them I'd tig weld the brackets way stronger, and cleaner looking. plus if you gave some more details that might help (ex. material, dimensions,etc)

WhatsADSM
02-21-2010, 05:47 PM
So I MUST ask.. What kind of seats are going in? I can only imagine if you truly think 125 is too much for custom brackets.

CarbonRX
02-21-2010, 06:27 PM
The ngk logos are placed above the bolt holes
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/carbonzx/seatrail1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/carbonzx/seatrail3.jpg
as you can see wouldn't take anything fancy to get it to work. some 1/8" thick flat steel, 1-1.5" wide lengths, i could do the drilling/bending myself, so all that would need to be done is the cutting/welding.
i will post pics of the final product when it is done.

as far many of your responses to this entire thread.
you tell me 125 is fair even before you know the specifics of the job...
you call me immature yet 90% of the responses in this thread were people who had nothing to offer but felt the uncontrollable urge to state thier own "professional" opinions...
you call me an asshole for defending my own opinion, when uninvited assholes bash it...
you tell me all this irrelevant garbage about shop rates, overhead, insurance when i have said multiple times im NOT LOOKING FOR A SHOP.
among other things, i could easily list a few more.

i realize there is no winning here, just the ability to prove everyone wrong once the work is done, which i plan on doing.

@myles,
no i will not get the fuck out, i was going to before but since this thread is still going and isn't dying (because of everyones important opinions), i might as well stick around until i shove it back in all the naysayers faces.

CarbonRX
02-21-2010, 06:29 PM
also if you want to talk maturity, look at the avatar and sig.

CarbonRX
02-21-2010, 06:31 PM
So I MUST ask.. What kind of seats are going in? I can only imagine if you truly think 125 is too much for custom brackets.

seats that were thrown in when i bought the car, they are noname brand but they look good, are comfortable, and my stock drivers seat is ripped.

PureSound15
02-21-2010, 06:37 PM
also if you want to talk maturity, look at the avatar and sig.

http://photos.napalm.net/clubsi/Hangover_Baby.gif

Not at the table!

badass88gt
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
I cant believe this is still going on......

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 07:42 PM
its making me giggly right now tho.

1320PNY
02-21-2010, 07:43 PM
if this were on a gayometer the needl is moving towards critical mass. lol j/k

Lets do lunch. I'll buy you a salad and then tuck it in your ass. I got your gay-o-meter right here.

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 07:51 PM
^ see things could be worse,one day we could get lunch but thats gonna be after a we get threw a few million recalls lol

Myles
02-21-2010, 07:56 PM
Ok, I guess I didn't make it clear.

We have sponsors on this site. Ron and OTE, they both do the type of work you are asking for. You don't want to go to a shop? Then find a different place to ask. They are SPONSORS of THIS site. We will tell you to go to them regardless because they are sponsors.

So again, fuck off, you are clearly not cut out for this site.

Reverend Cooper
02-21-2010, 07:58 PM
^ so in short,use OTE or Ron,or fuck off.

badass88gt
02-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Thats how I interpreted it.

0TransAm0
02-21-2010, 08:08 PM
....waiting silently for "finished pics" thred and then "damn seat bracket broke while i was driving" thred...

Prince Valiant
02-21-2010, 09:08 PM
you call me immature yet 90% of the responses in this thread were people who had nothing to offer but felt the uncontrollable urge to state thier own "professional" opinions...Well, actually, it seems that more than a few professionals did offer their opinions...including the ones that quoted you 125 bucks. Which makes this statement even funnier:

y'all don't even know what kind of a fuckin job it is either which makes anyone who thinks 125 is a fair price even dumber.What, didn't you give the original guys the details of the job?

But, since you know all the in and outs of welding, details of the job, what time is worth to welders, value's of the material, it begs the question: "Why don't you just do the job yourself?"

Oh, and quit bitching so damn much.

Prince Valiant
02-21-2010, 09:10 PM
....waiting silently for "finished pics" thred and then "damn seat bracket broke while i was driving" thred...Or "Damn brackets didn't fit!!! I got gyped!!!"-thread.

but of course, even if that happens, I seriously doubt we'll see that thread :rolf

Nix
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Purely curiousity, what type of car are we dealing with here?

Lash
02-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Purely curiousity, what type of car are we dealing with here?

lol....I see where youre going with this.

Nix
02-21-2010, 09:39 PM
lol....I see where youre going with this.

I have no idea what you are talking about sir... :shades :rolf

SSLEVO
02-21-2010, 09:46 PM
93 escort?

That_Guy
02-21-2010, 09:50 PM
2nd gen rx7.. its actually a very nice car. I would pay the 180-250 dollars for the bracket kit but thats just me.

twicks69
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
Doing it out of just 1/8" thick flat-stock will still require reinforcement so it won't flex under load. Otherwise, it will feel like a rocking chair, and is extremely unsafe.

Either add bracing or triangulate it for support. OTE Tom did the seat brackets in Andy's mustang, and they turned out AWESOME, and the pics can be found on this site for a good idea of how they were made.

As well, like I said earlier, the price is way more than fair. I have made custom brackets in the past for my 1st Gen RX-7 and for my Eclipse, and have spent way more than $125 in just materials, time and equipment on my own stuff, not including any sort of profit.

And yes, I am a business owner and a professional.

If you want bolt-in brackets, your choices are slim for your application, but they are out there.

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/Corbeau/Seat-Brackets/Corbeau-Seat-Bracket-_-C22039L/584135/

Expect to spend over $225 for a pair shipped including flat sliders. You still need to adapt your seat to mount, which may require side brackets or underside brackets and fabrication to fit.

Crawlin
02-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Tom@OTE did the seat brackets in my camaro way back when. They were great and with the way the mounting points are in a 4th gen f-body, they were alot easier to get to than the stock stuff was, that's for sure.

now, please tell me with that $30 savings or however much you saved, you went and got a vacuum cleaner cause that carpet looks like ass

CarbonRX
02-23-2010, 10:22 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/carbonzx/bracketdiagram.jpg
here is a diagram i drew up, the V's show the weld locations.
most people who commented did not even know the seats were bottom mount which makes it much easier to fabricate. i have shown this to 3 different welders so far and all said that it would be easy enough to fab, one of the guys i work with at the body shop i work at and he jumped at the chance to do it for $100. The only reason it isn't done already is because i have another person lined up who told me they are interested in doing the work (bcm member) and i am holding it for him.
also the extra 25 dollars isn't really a huge deal to me, in fact i just spent $30(hardware store prices) in galvanized so i can make my own mock up.
yes, i will post some pictures when all is said and done.

Dr.Buick
02-23-2010, 10:24 AM
Looks like more than 2 feet of welding wire to me.:stare

CarbonRX
02-23-2010, 10:25 AM
also here are the seats,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/carbonzx/seats.jpg
and the car 1990 mazda rx7 turboII,
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/carbonzx/midnight.jpg

Myles
02-23-2010, 10:28 AM
Why are you still here?

Dr.Buick
02-23-2010, 10:30 AM
You forgot a weld:rolfor 2 or 3

CarbonRX
02-23-2010, 10:35 AM
yeah, tryin to save money haha

Nix
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Nice ride, however it seems the owner is a dickbag.. :rolf :goof

MurphysLaw88GT
02-23-2010, 11:05 AM
http://i851.photobucket.com/albums/ab74/kevingmurph/Random/dei.jpg

I can post slick diagrams too.

PureSound15
02-23-2010, 11:09 AM
Nice ride, however it seems the owner is a dickbag.. :rolf :goof

I like the name "dickbag" but I'm questioning what I should be picturing him as.

1) Bag of erect penises that stand out like a bag of bagettes

http://cook-eat-love.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bagette.jpg

2) Flacid
http://www.unclegarysrecipes.com/TACO_MEAT_op_800x613.jpg

Nix
02-23-2010, 12:29 PM
I like the name "dickbag" but I'm questioning what I should be picturing him as.

1) Bag of erect penises that stand out like a bag of bagettes

http://cook-eat-love.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/bagette.jpg

2) Flacid
http://www.unclegarysrecipes.com/TACO_MEAT_op_800x613.jpg

:rolf :rolf

badass88gt
02-23-2010, 04:34 PM
Carbon have you figured out yet that nobody gives a shit about your custom fab brackets?

MoCkiN U
02-23-2010, 04:54 PM
go ahead and make your own bracket and square it up. Then tell us what happens cause there is no way that a site full of car guys have done this before you to realize your floor board isnt level nor square but hey, throw it in their face and prove them wrong.

I wasnt going to say nothing till the drawing popped up and got a laugh. It isnt a hard job but it will be time consuming to get the dimensions right cause all 4 corners will likely have a different height but what do I know????

SSLEVO
02-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Please tell me you can't draw and are not using flat stock. But i'm sure you could design it better anyway, it's not like i'm an engineer or anything like that.:rolf

Reverend Cooper
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I'm irratated now just reading this.

hrsp
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
peeks in to see the mayhem...lolz and now vanishes only coming back to view "finished" work....

1320PNY
02-24-2010, 12:34 AM
I'm irratated now just reading this.

Because you don't have spell check?

That's for you Andy!

Crawlin
02-24-2010, 07:59 AM
http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-repair/welding-exhaust-manifold-fail-other-ridiculous-automotive-fabrication-attempts/15316895+cr1+re0+ar1/horrible-weld-beads-on-exhaust-manifold-stick-welding.jpg

pOrk
02-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Bee engineering do job fo 100 dolhairs

That_Guy
02-24-2010, 08:15 AM
Bee engineering do job fo 100 dolhairs

o that was not only funny a shot at bee but worded perfectly!:rolf

zing!!!!!!!

CarbonRX
02-25-2010, 09:18 PM
the drivers side seats IS sqaure, the passenger side is not but i have everything cut already just need to buy bolts and cut bolt holes.

hrsp
02-25-2010, 09:20 PM
Looks like one of my "hack" jobs...please someone post a nice weld now to compare...

http://image.internetautoguide.com/f/auto-repair/welding-exhaust-manifold-fail-other-ridiculous-automotive-fabrication-attempts/15316895+cr1+re0+ar1/horrible-weld-beads-on-exhaust-manifold-stick-welding.jpg

PureSound15
02-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Looks like one of my "hack" jobs...please someone post a nice weld now to compare...

http://davescoins.net/Pictures_Online/10/07/95/Coin10079539-1.jpg

:D

badass88gt
02-25-2010, 09:32 PM
the drivers side seats is sqaure, the passenger side is not but i have everything cut already just need to buy bolts and cut bolt holes.

lol

CarbonRX
02-25-2010, 10:04 PM
lol
yeah bacardi 151 will make you forget how to spell from time to time haha:drool:

Dr.Buick
02-25-2010, 10:06 PM
I guess you get what you pay for!:rolf:rolf:rolf

badass88gt
02-25-2010, 11:53 PM
I wasnt laughing at your spelling.....

GRNDNL
02-26-2010, 08:32 AM
The drawing telling the fab guy where to weld is....well....just......priceless.....

Did I read that right, your going it build it out of galvanized metal?.........:confused

That_Guy
02-26-2010, 08:37 AM
The drawing telling the fab guy where to weld is....well....just......priceless.....

Did I read that right, your going it build it out of galvanized metal?.........:confused

you shouldnt weld galvanized without the proper gear. ;)

MurphysLaw88GT
02-26-2010, 12:49 PM
I think he should make it out of wicker. Just weave it like a basket.

Korndogg
02-26-2010, 04:25 PM
because you can't weld galvanized.. well atleast you shouldn't....;)

I've welded plenty of galvanized pipe.....

1320PNY
02-26-2010, 04:31 PM
OK, I almost feel bad now for not offering to do this for free. You don't want to weld galvanized for any load carrying. The issue is the cleanliness of the weld and contamination within the weld. I would either make the brackets from 1080 and have them powder coated or do them from 304 or 316 and TIG them. Really, 316 flat stock from McMaster-Carr is like $34 for 3' lengths.

I just think that someone that can be quoted as "cut holes" should not be in charge of a potential DOT project. I think at this point paying the $125 to have it done right is still not out of the question.

I really like the car it is going in and the seats are nice. Why cut corners?

Cryptic
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM

$1500 welds... a bargain :shades
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_5Bdw0bCKJkE/S4c72-DMO8I/AAAAAAAAAQc/BerTF_jLbfA/s800/IMG_3353.JPG

Turbo-Triumph
02-26-2010, 04:36 PM

^^^this!!! THIS is pure win!^^

Big ugly welds, not even bent pipes just bologna cuts, and fat welds with quit possibly the most brutally ugly 'collector' known to man, then to top it off, a nice big shiney turbo.

WIN!

the only question i have, is why in the world did the .....designer (?) of this thing, not switch the wastegate and front cyl. ports?

Monstr913
02-26-2010, 05:19 PM
^ i could weld better than this shitfaced with my eyes closed

CarbonRX
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
OK, I almost feel bad now for not offering to do this for free. You don't want to weld galvanized for any load carrying. The issue is the cleanliness of the weld and contamination within the weld. I would either make the brackets from 1080 and have them powder coated or do them from 304 or 316 and TIG them. Really, 316 flat stock from McMaster-Carr is like $34 for 3' lengths.

I just think that someone that can be quoted as "cut holes" should not be in charge of a potential DOT project. I think at this point paying the $125 to have it done right is still not out of the question.

I really like the car it is going in and the seats are nice. Why cut corners?

im not cutting corners, the galvanized is to mock everything up.

CarbonRX
02-26-2010, 06:51 PM
i.e. not getting welded or used at all in the final product.

That_Guy
02-26-2010, 11:57 PM
I've welded plenty of galvanized pipe.....

i was told that you shouldn't because of the fumes from the zinc coating can be toxic.

:confused

MoCkiN U
02-27-2010, 04:55 AM
fencing companies have stick welded galvanized for who knows how long but yeah its pretty brutal if you inhale that stuff. the porosity that comes from the coating is hard to deal with too.

Korndogg
02-27-2010, 08:32 AM
It is toxic....I use a respirator while welding it.

oh and if you do happen to breathe in galvanized fumes and get sick....Drink milk. There's something in milk that neutralizes the effect.

Its a short term sickness that most likely only lasts through the night

GRNDNL
02-27-2010, 09:11 AM
in fact i just spent $30(hardware store prices) in galvanized so i can make my own mock up.

You spent $30.00 in galvanized materials just to "mock" it up?.......

Prince Valiant
02-27-2010, 09:31 AM
You spent $30.00 in galvanized materials just to "mock" it up?.......

Lash
02-27-2010, 09:35 AM
because you can't weld galvanized.. well atleast you shouldn't....;)

Lash
02-27-2010, 09:36 AM
It is toxic....I use a respirator while welding it.

oh and if you do happen to breathe in galvanized fumes and get sick....Drink milk. There's something in milk that neutralizes the effect.

Its a short term sickness that most likely only lasts through the night

:thumbsup

Lash
02-27-2010, 09:40 AM
OK, I almost feel bad now for not offering to do this for free. You don't want to weld galvanized for any load carrying. The issue is the cleanliness of the weld and contamination within the weld.

I guess it would depend on what process was used to galvanize it.
For a zinc coating it's easier if you remove the coating first. If it only a thin coat you might not even have to remove it. As long as you use a technique that will allow the galv. gas created from the heat to escape from the weld area it's fine for load carrying. The silicon content in the electrode is also important. The thinner coatings are burned off before the weld pool even reaches it.

Zinc melts at about 900°F and vaporizes at about 1650°F. Since steel melts at approximately 2,750°F and
the welding arc temperature is 15,000 to 20,000°F, the zinc that is near the weld does not stand a chance -- it's vaporized.
Sperko Engineering Services, Inc

That_Guy
02-27-2010, 10:14 AM

i had explained why.. i should revise that statement though.

Gregor
02-27-2010, 04:05 PM
I welded a few galvanized bolts. Nasty stuff. White poofs of death. But I have a respirator so I was good to go. But it turns the weld into one big grinding job to redo it. You can use boric acid to remove it. If your doing alot of welding.

So you bought 30.00 in mock up mats, and another 30 in actual metal for the work. And now your going to have to pay someone to weld it.

I would have just took it to Clocks off or OTE and got it over with.

0TransAm0
02-27-2010, 05:28 PM
so let me get this straight... you will spend $30 bucks to "mock" it up but you wont spend more than $125 to get the "good" one done right? why not put that $30 into the ones that will be put in the car and get something a little better quality and most likely SAFER...
to each there own.. i guess to me that just something i would NOT cut corners on and be cheap.

Monstr913
02-28-2010, 04:17 PM
zinc oxide is nasty stuff...if its zinc plated grind if off not so bad can weld without respirator...welding should be done in well ventilated area...its like welding aluminum when it melts it releases aluminum oxide which will make you sick, we use fans at work to suck the air away when welding never have any problems

0TransAm0
02-28-2010, 09:39 PM
so who is doing the job for $125??

Jsho13
03-01-2010, 07:26 AM
fencing companies have stick welded galvanized for who knows how long but yeah its pretty brutal if you inhale that stuff. the porosity that comes from the coating is hard to deal with too.

I spent all last week welding galvanized pipe for fence gates. We have a fume sucker thing that does a really good job, virtually no fumes and I felt fine everyday after doing it. No way in hell would I do it without some sort of respirator.

Flicktitty
03-01-2010, 01:31 PM
as long as people are talking about welding, can anyone on here weld these 2 holes shut?(inside the red box) i cut off the metal tubes, now i just need the holes welded shut. the water neck is aluminum though, and it must NOT LEAK. anyone willing to do this please let me know via PM.

hoping to get it done by the weekend.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/flicktitty/2jzgte_water_neck.jpg

SSLEVO
03-01-2010, 05:52 PM
as long as people are talking about welding, can anyone on here weld these 2 holes shut?(inside the red box) i cut off the metal tubes, now i just need the holes welded shut. the water neck is aluminum though, and it must NOT LEAK. anyone willing to do this please let me know via PM.

hoping to get it done by the weekend.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/flicktitty/2jzgte_water_neck.jpg

Is the pipe still inside the piece? If not you could possibly use a pipe tap and use a plug.

Flicktitty
03-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Is the pipe still inside the piece? If not you could possibly use a pipe tap and use a plug.

yeah, the pipe is still in it, i'm gonna try removing it and getting it tapped.

Lash
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
I'd plug it before you try and weld that. Those look to be fairly large holes to try and fill for cast alum without it leaking.

SSLEVO
03-01-2010, 08:05 PM
I'd plug it before you try and weld that. Those look to be fairly large holes to try and fill for cast alum without it leaking.

Well, if it were me welding i would burn a plate across both of them. Trying to plug those would take all day tig welding.

Monstr913
03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I could probably do it although welding cast aluminum sucks. Or could at least get u a piece of aluminum, we have tons literally at work damn near any gauge too. Are those tubes aluminum? Or pressed in steel ones?

hrsp
03-01-2010, 10:41 PM
are the seats in yet? id like to see them installed...

hrsp
03-04-2010, 10:53 PM
is it done yet?

PureSound15
03-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Maybe he's having troubles getting it done for $125 :)

hrsp
03-07-2010, 10:58 PM
is he banned?lol

hrsp
03-12-2010, 12:06 AM
waiting still....

awsomeears
03-12-2010, 02:24 AM
Last I heard he was in a fender bender at 7MPH and the seat including himself went through the window and into China..............

Now China has a new welder !!!

0TransAm0
03-12-2010, 06:14 AM
Lmao!!!

badass88gt
03-17-2010, 08:15 PM
So whats the deal, is he saving his allowance up or what are we waiting for??

0TransAm0
03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
he is probably embarrassed to show what he got.. either that or the guy who did the work said he could not post pics of it.. i thought he said it was somebody on BCM but who??...

Nix
03-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Kinda seems to me he couldn't take the heat, so he got the fuck outta the kitchen. :confused He hasn't logged in since the 4th or March.

Josepy
03-18-2010, 12:14 AM
Kinda seems to me he couldn't take the heat, so he got the fuck outta the kitchen. :confused He hasn't logged in since the 4th or March.

correct he was a typical doucher. not surprised by it at all

nismodave
03-18-2010, 12:37 AM
HA! How did I miss this?

hrsp
03-18-2010, 02:38 AM
what happened to the welding job....the world may never know....lol

That_Guy
03-18-2010, 09:11 AM
The seats are not done as far as I know. I not sure what the reason is.

-stew-
03-18-2010, 09:16 AM
^^^ It might have something to do with him being a broke douche bag.

0TransAm0
05-08-2010, 08:08 PM
any update on this?

-stew-
12-06-2010, 04:05 PM
Are these done yet? I wanna see 'em!

Korndogg
12-06-2010, 04:21 PM
hah..

awsomeears
12-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Didn't you guys hear he had some Non-English speaks fellow do the work....

He then took out some Hot Bitches and had to hit the E break :stare

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/43/80014114_2f8ee8fdd5.jpg

0TransAm0
12-06-2010, 08:45 PM
^^^ lol

GTSLOW
12-06-2010, 11:41 PM
Dam how could I miss this thread. The win meter is full in this thread!!