PDA

View Full Version : Home Theater questions

05caddyext
02-16-2010, 09:56 PM
I am in the process of setting up a 7.1 surround sound system for my basement which I am finishing. I have run all the speaker wire for the 7 speakers. I have purchased an On-q 5.1 wallplate set with a 7.1 add on plate. I have all the wires connected except for the subwoofer, it has what looks like coax plug on one side, an rca jack on the other. How do I wire this? What is the coax for? I have never seen that type of plug before on a sub. I want to insulate the walls this weekend so I need to figure out what wiring I need done before I close up the wall. Any help would be appreciated.

SSLEVO
02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
like a tv/cable coax? Never seen that before. A sub is just usually a single rca type plug.

y2kws6
02-17-2010, 07:51 AM
My guess that it is also a Powered Sub (Needs to be plugged into the wall), so either jack would work and the output from the receiver would be the same type port.

Dan

PureSound15
02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Some subwoofers can connect to a reciever via Coax. The shielded Coax reduces the chance of interferance hum over a long distance.

05caddyext
02-17-2010, 07:06 PM
So I need to know what kind of sub im going to run before I finish the walls off correct? I have never seen an input like that before so I want to make sure I have all the proper wires run while I have the stud wall exposed.

WilliamZ
02-19-2010, 12:23 AM
In the wall you are going to run RG-6 Coax from your receiver location to the subwoofer location. You are going to put a RCA end on at the receiver side. You are going to put a F-connector on at the sub side. The F-connector is going to screw to the wall plate and then you'll put the plate on. You'll use a RCA cable from the wall plate to the input on the back of your active Subwoofer. Does that help? You can get an RCA pass-through plate and just use all RCA connections, it's up to you.

05caddyext
02-19-2010, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the info, that makes sense to me. Looks like I will not worry about that connection because the sub will be right by the stereo. I will be running speaker wire to the main wallplate hub from the receiver which will then feed the speaker wallplates on the other side of the room. I will not need to run sub cable in the wall because I will be running the sub right by the receiver.

On another note I just ordered an On-q enclosure from amazon.com today for $40 bucks. Crappy part, Menards sells that same unit right now on sale for $29. Already shipped or I would just cancel the order. Oh well. I got back over $60 from Menards on all the stuff I just bought last week for this project because its all on sale now.