PDA

View Full Version : Question for CDL people

Voodoo Chick
02-15-2010, 02:46 PM
My husband recently got his CDL, and is now looking for employment with a decent trucking company.......he is, however, having a difficult time finding work. Does anyone here have any leads at all, or know of any good companies? I know this question sounds odd, but he is totally new to this field, and we are not sure where to look, or who to talk to. I appreciate any help.

pOrk
02-15-2010, 03:42 PM
Without experience, its going to be extremely difficult to find a job without hiring w/ a contract. If he wants to be home 2 days a month, thats the way to go.

WickedSix
02-15-2010, 04:17 PM
he want local or OTR work? cus local seems to be pretty much non-existant right now...

Jsho13
02-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Without experience, its going to be extremely difficult to find a job without hiring w/ a contract. If he wants to be home 2 days a month, thats the way to go.

x2

0TransAm0
02-15-2010, 05:23 PM
i know it doesn't reqiure a CDL but nicolet water is hireing drivers.. starting at 30k a year. not much but its better than unemployment.. the brother inlaw just got hired they offered him 25k a year he said he had a better offer at another place lady called back 20 min later with 32.5k a year..

Doc Brown
02-15-2010, 05:56 PM
Here in Wisconsin, there is next to nothing if you have a class B CDL. I know this because I have 13 years safe driving with not even a speeding ticket, and all I could find is a place offering $13/hr., which incidentally is at the high end of the spectrum for class B right now.

If he has a class A with endorsements, but no experience, i fear that he'll hit a lot of dead ends because most places want a minimum of 2 years of tractor/trailer experience. And with so many highly qualified veteran drivers looking for work as well right now, they tend to lock up the open positions at all the good, reputable places. If he does happen to go in for an interview at some OTR place, do your internet homework on the place first because there are a LOT or scummy transportation companies out there that will hire him on, make him work the dock for a year or more before he'd even get the chance to drive full time, all while paying him $8.50/hr. and figuring other ways to screw him over. I've seen it, it happens. And if he does get to drive right away, beware of long and wildly erratic work schedules, poor equipment, and "fees" some places charge drivers for the privilege of using their vehicles, etc. And if it's a union shop, and he's low man on the seniority pole, forgetaboutit [/italian accent]!