PDA

View Full Version : Who shops at ALDI'S ?

awsomeears
02-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Past two weeks Ive changed they way I eat and its already putting a little dent in my wallet, do I care ? not really but if I can shop else where and save money then Saaaweeet !

So who shops at Aldi's and whats your opinion of there Meat selection and Produce.

I will still shop at Pick'n save :thumbsup

That_Guy
02-14-2010, 11:02 PM
all i get from there is string cheese and frozen pizza

hrsp
02-14-2010, 11:03 PM
us westallis folks LOVE aldi's.........:)

i personally wouldn't trust there meats...but have no reason not to...if that makes sense...lol

awsomeears
02-14-2010, 11:09 PM
I know what your saying about the meats but for all I know and my step dad says this all the time " The cow,chicken or Pig has no clue where its going "

lordairgtar
02-14-2010, 11:36 PM
We have an Aldi here in Muskego, but I've never been there. I shop the Pig. I won't use the PnS in Muskego cuz it's a filthy hole. I get Pig points which gets me a discount at the gas station. I bought gas yesterday for $2.30 per gallon for 15 gallons. Plus we cut coupons like crazy.

pOrk
02-14-2010, 11:38 PM
I shop at aldi frequently, lisa is a vegetarian and we love buying produce from aldi, its always fresh and if not you get doube guarantee. No complaints, I save over a dollar per gallon of milk alone. 5 gallons a week is 20 bucks a month I save just on milk! Produce prices vary, usually the same or cheaper then picknsave

lordairgtar
02-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Five gallons a week? You bathing in it?

hrsp
02-15-2010, 12:10 AM
thats alot of milk!!!!lol

pOrk
02-15-2010, 12:13 AM
I drink a lot of milk, never had a broken bone so it works :). Haha

xxsn0blindxx
02-15-2010, 07:29 AM
My Wife and I recently started trying to do as much of our grocery shopping at Aldi as we can. Obviously their selection is limited, but it is fairly consistent so you know ahead of time what you can and can't get there. As far as meat and produce goes, the selection there is quite limited as well. The only fresh meat we've bought have been the packages of lean ground turkey and beef which are a ton cheaper than a regular grocery store. We also buy the marinaded turkey breasts and pork tenderloins on occasion. The produce is usually good, but you need to check for freshness. I have gotten mushrooms and avocados from there that were spoiled when I went to use them the next day or two after. I've gotten the same products other times and they were just fine. In fact it only happened to me once, so you just need to make sure they are fresh when you buy them.

Karps TA
02-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Depends on what you are shopping for. Aldi sometimes has some great deals. I buy spiral cut hams from them at $2 less a pound and they are great.

PureSound15
02-15-2010, 08:35 AM
My roommates in college worked at Aldi. They brought home seaks once and we slapped them on the grill..

The "Red" on the meat was actually a waxy kind of film. As soon as it was on the grill, this red crap was falling off the steak, it looked like it was shedding. I, personally, wouldn't ever touch the meat again... but everything else is fair game.

animal
02-15-2010, 08:40 AM
I had no problems with their pork tenderloins. I also get the lowfat meatballs and cooked shrimp and never had a problem with any of them either.

FTR the computer I bought from there is running strong 7 years later :D. Power supply went once but thats' to be expected for any computer after 3-4 years.

Car Guy
02-15-2010, 09:35 AM
Five gallons a week? You bathing in it?

Same here, although occasionally one of the five gallons is chocolate milk.....:drool:

wikked
02-15-2010, 12:25 PM
You don't have to shop for lower/risky quality food just to save money.

Coupons coupons coupons. I know people that have gotten $50-$100 worth of groceries at pick n save for less than a buck, regularly.

I gotta try it sometime.

jbiscuit
02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
coupons is where its at. We save $20-25 a week utilizing coupons, using the Advantage Club card and ONLY buying items on sale. We rarely pay more than $40-45 after all the savings. You can save a lot at Pick N Save if you buy what you NEED rather than what you want. Buy onsale only...don't get suckered into paying full price for anything or you just have defeated your efforts to save on other items in your cart. Buy smart too...only buy what you will consume in a week's time. No more than that to avoid waste

awsomeears
02-15-2010, 12:58 PM
I should really pay attention to the shopper paper I get.

pOrk
02-15-2010, 03:44 PM
You don't have to shop for lower/risky quality food just to save money.

Coupons coupons coupons. I know people that have gotten $50-$100 worth of groceries at pick n save for less than a buck, regularly.

I gotta try it sometime.

LOL Are you retarded? Aldi sells the exact same products as other grocery stores, a TON of the products are made by name brand companys and re-labeled. Do some research before making stupid comments like that.

jamest
02-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Trader Joe's is actually owned by Aldi as well.

michelle
02-15-2010, 03:52 PM

Same here! I'm closer to 2 gallons though, not 5. :wow

Car Guy
02-15-2010, 03:57 PM
Aldi sells the exact same products as other grocery stores, a TON of the products are made by name brand companys and re-labeled.

This is true.....

Slow Joe
02-15-2010, 07:07 PM
I havn't went into Aldi in a while, however we might need to check it out.

Normally we hit Wal*Mart, which has lower prices than PnS, and they take coupons as well. As for meat, I havn't bought it at Wal*Mart since I got some... Not so quality meat about three years ago, however I wouldn't be against trying it again...

Funny this comes up, since Kristie and I were just talking about shopping smarter last night...

PB86MCSS
02-15-2010, 07:09 PM
Aldi is nice for certain items but not enough there for me to make a special trip...same goes for Wal-Mart. Packaged goods its ok but produce/meat, ehh....I'll stick with Pick N Save/Sentry/Pig/Sendiks/Woodmans...etc. Pig and Sendiks have higher prices it seems (go figure), Pick N Save has very good deals normally, I just stock up on crap I like when it's cheap. Buying items at full price is rare for me. Woodman's is nice but unless I want to make a road trip and spend half my day walking through the store I don't go there.

pOrk
02-15-2010, 07:39 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aldi

http://www.brandchannel.com/features_profile.asp?pr_id=74

http://www.marketingshift.com/2009/2/lookout-target-wal-mart-aldi.cfm

0TransAm0
02-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Walfart and aldi's meat is prepackaged INJECTED with "tenderizers" and solution..crap to make it look fresh for 2-3 weeks..stick with PnS or the pig..i should tell you PnS has the best because I'm a journeyman meat cutter at the mount pleasant store but you can shop where ever you want...
i will say this tho if you stop in my store i will personally cut you whatever steak you want at whatever size you want and it will be Fresh and trimmed perfect.. as long as you know how to cook it will be one of the best you have ever had... our Store and most of all our meat dept is number 1 in Racine county for all grocery stores.

u_say_go
02-15-2010, 07:57 PM
We have an Aldi here in Muskego, but I've never been there. I shop the Pig. I won't use the PnS in Muskego cuz it's a filthy hole. I get Pig points which gets me a discount at the gas station. I bought gas yesterday for $2.30 per gallon for 15 gallons. Plus we cut coupons like crazy.
gotta save those points Greg, I'm at $1.93 right now. Once I get to $2.00 off per gallon I'll cash in the points.

Aldi is alright, I wouldn't buy meat there though.

Karps TA
02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
You do have to watch some of the meat at the Pig though. Alot of the great deals on meat say the beef was from Mexico and tastes more like burro then beef. lol

I haven't stepped foot in the PnS since they remodeled and ruined the store. Actually that's incorrect, I went in 1 day before a big party I was having, but the lines were so long, and they had so few people working that I left a gigantic cart full of shit in one of the isles and never walked back in. I hate that place.

michelle
02-15-2010, 08:02 PM
You do have to watch some of the meat at the Pig though. Alot of the great deals on meat say the beef was from Mexico and tastes more like burro then beef. lol

I haven't stepped foot in the PnS since they remodeled and ruined the store. Actually that's incorrect, I went in 1 day before a big party I was having, but the lines were so long, and they had so few people working that I left a gigantic cart full of shit in one of the isles and never walked back in. I hate that place.

I bet the minimum-wage employee who had to put it all away appreciated that. Way to stick it to the man.

michelle
02-15-2010, 08:04 PM
I went to Aldi's for the first time the other day. Picked a few things up and by bill was under $12. I expected it to be more. I was impressed with how friendly and nice the employees were.

Wouldn't buy meat there though. It just looked weird.

Karps TA
02-15-2010, 08:20 PM
I bet the minimum-wage employee who had to put it all away appreciated that. Way to stick it to the man.

I worked at a grocery store all thru high school. Trust me, putting groceries away was not a huge complaint. The old people who would shit their pants and walk thru the store leaking it all over, or the assholes who leave a cart on the other side of the parking lot in a snow storm, oh yes.:rolf

Considering they probably lost $60 of meat and frozen goods, I felt it was a good sticking. Perhaps they should have more then 3 checkout lanes open during busy periods? Or maybe not redesign the store in way that when it's busy you can't even get down isles.

0TransAm0
02-15-2010, 08:28 PM

yeah and people wonder why prices are high.. or why that person was putting the shit back on the shelf before it went bad(refrigerated product and frozen stuff) instead of helping check out or bag groceries..
another thing that pisses me off to no end is when the dumb fucks trash the counter looking for the perfect package of whatever it is they want and throw everything all over the place and just walk away.. i really love the customers that look down on me because i work at PnS and think that just because i work at a grocery store they can be rude as hell and expect us/me to treat them like gold. yes its my job, but a little fuckin respect would be nice..:fire

sorry /end rant.

Car Guy
02-15-2010, 08:30 PM
This thread is getting better with every post.....:)

michelle
02-15-2010, 08:32 PM
A little talk with the person behind the Customer Service desk seems like the more logical thing to do, but it is what it is.

/steps off soap box

0TransAm0
02-15-2010, 08:35 PM
A little talk with the person behind the Customer Service desk seems like the more logical thing to do, but it is what it is.

/steps off soap box

and probably would have gotten you a free $25 gift card. that seems to be what they are doing... if you go complain to the store director and say you not going to shop there anymore they will give you a gift card.

Karps TA
02-15-2010, 08:39 PM
You'd have to shop there for as long as I have to understand my complaints. The PnS in Muskego used to be a nice place, but it's gotten steadily worse the past 5 years. And the remodel they did actually turned it into a worse shopping experience. That frustration was the culmination of a bunch of unhappy experiences, including finding many items not being scanned at the sale price. I found you had to double check your reciept before you left. And that was a couple days after the sale started so there's no excuse for it not to be in the system by then.

I now shop at the Pig, where I know most of the employees there by name, and enjoy shopping there. I'm not an asshole that way just to be an asshole. Despite how my posts may come off. lol

T-Bag
02-15-2010, 08:47 PM
Aldi's seems like a good place to go for chips and shit like that but I wouldn't buy any of that shit meat.

wikked
02-15-2010, 09:17 PM
LOL Are you retarded? Aldi sells the exact same products as other grocery stores, a TON of the products are made by name brand companys and re-labeled. Do some research before making stupid comments like that.

I'm not talking about canned & prepacked dry goods/etc... I'm talking about meat. If you think Aldi meat is on par with even Pick N' Save, you best be joking :rolf.
Publix & Aldi's are both known to treat their meat with carbon monoxide to keep it looking fresh/red.
See below.
Don't pretend to know what you're talking about just because someone disagrees with your opinion.

"My roommates in college worked at Aldi. They brought home seaks once and we slapped them on the grill..
The "Red" on the meat was actually a waxy kind of film. As soon as it was on the grill, this red crap was falling off the steak, it looked like it was shedding."

JOHN 86GT
02-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Go rent the movie Food inc to see what is really in ALL the (store bought)meat...http://www.foodincmovie.com/

If you don't care and don't want to spend the extra money on free range poutry / beef , Go to Rupinas meat market in west allis . I have yet to have a better "over the counter " steak.

gottwins?
02-16-2010, 12:15 AM
I don't mind buying anything from aldi's but refuse to buy their meats...I go to El Rey's for that.:thumbsup

pOrk
02-16-2010, 01:05 AM
Say meat if your talking about meat ya dope. We rarely buy meat, since my fiance is a vegetarian and I buy chicken from the deli down the road. 5 percent of aldi is meat, there is a reason that selection is so small.

HITMAN
02-16-2010, 01:47 AM
One word: Woodman's
Aldi's sux ass.

awsomeears
02-16-2010, 07:42 AM
Well I went to Aldi's and passed on the Meat, just didn't look up to my standards :-) but I did try the pork and its not bad. So I did try it as it was a good price..........

Picked up some Oats, Almonds and other dry goods. Good deal and I'm real happy with the items I got.

I totally forgot about WoodMans ( 5min's from me ) so i gotta stop there, but I tell ya what maybe I should just skip them all and head to the PIG.

There is something I just like about shopping at the PIG, it almost reminds me of a ACE Hardware or True Value. Smaller place that somehow has everything in it.

Good Thread and passion in it :) lol

-stew-
02-16-2010, 08:04 AM
Well I went to Aldi's and passed on the Meat, just didn't look up to my standards :-) but I did try the pork

Pork is meat. :loser