PDA

View Full Version : Question for the tattooed folks.......

Voodoo Chick
02-14-2010, 07:48 PM
When you get a fresh tattoo, what's your favorite, tried-and-true method of healing it? I have my whole left arm done, wrist to shoulder, and my right arm, wrist to elbow, but each one had a BAD healing period, although I followed the artists' suggestions to the letter each time (wash 2-4 times daily, A & D ointment, etc....). I had another tattoo done yesterday, and want this one to heal as smoothly as possible....so, any favorite methods? Thanks, all.

Russ Jerome
02-14-2010, 08:11 PM
Tattoo goo is what the guy said on my last, it did heal realy fast but lost color as expected during the last peels.
http://www.tattoogoo.com/

Daytonapacecar959
02-14-2010, 08:15 PM
The only thing i've been told be the two tattoo artist that have done mine,uncover it after a couple hours and keep using A & D ointment a few times a day so it doesn't dry out.

hotrod96z28
02-14-2010, 09:15 PM
tattoo goo and lotion with vitamin E

05caddyext
02-14-2010, 09:17 PM
Use any ointment that doesn't have bacitricin in it. There is a product that comes in a foam form, can't think of the name of it, blue can. That worked best for me. Your tattoo SHOULD NOT PEEL at all, nor should it scab if you are taking care of it properly. I have 7 tattoos and have never had an issue with them peeling or heeling poorly.

Memphis
02-14-2010, 09:21 PM
I have had no issues with peeling either. If it is not under clothing, I keep it from getting dry but I left mine uncovered after the first day.

MoCkiN U
02-14-2010, 09:32 PM
washing that much is NOT good for a tattoo. The moisture builds up under the skin and washes or pushes the ink out actually. A&D is what I always used and keep it moist but not thick and dripping. Dont let it dry out in anyway. after the skin gets all wrinkly and has stopped peeling if it does I stay with aveeno's baby lotion to keep moist and let the skin heal naturally

BR3W CITY
02-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Im sleeved and all of my color has healed excellent. Stay away from the tattoo goo, it can actually harbor infection.

Day1. uncover about an hour after the session, wash with a mild soap. After it dries lightly, apply a layer of A&D. Repeat A&d every 4-5 hours (just until it starts to dry again a bit)

Day2. A&D each 3-4 or so hours, wash with a mild soap whenever you take your shower.

Day 3. After my shower with mild soap, I switch to a regular moisturizing lotion. Avoid scents.

Day 4+. Apply light lotion every few hours, keeping the skin just moistened.

Heals GREAT within a week or so. I have over 70 hours into my arm and almost all of it was healed in this manner. Almost 5 years later, my earlier ink still looks great.

Monstr913
02-15-2010, 12:08 AM
yea i wouldnt use tattoo goo any more made part of my sleeve fade...and i only use a&d for first 2 days then switch to Luberderm extra dry skin lotion scent free and wash with anti bacteria soap with no scent or coloring, use paper towel to pat dry or air dry...towels harbor germs and bacteria ...stuff with a scent usually has alcohol and was told that will help fade the color...my tattoos are all black so it maybe a little different from colored ones, as solid black always fades from that crisp look...

where does everyone go? i've gone to many different shops over the years and starship seems to be the "best, most consistent artist"...looking for someone thats good at filling in as my sleeve is tribal and only half filled in.

pOrk
02-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Scott lashay is awesome

I use a and d

TheRX7Project
02-15-2010, 07:24 AM
Anyone have a reccomendation for me? I found out the hard way last time I got a tat that I am allergic to A&D ointment. My tat got a nasty rash around it but luckily it didn't do any damage.

I'm allergic to neosporin too.

I used tattoo goo on my first tat and had no problems, should I just stick with that?

BR3W CITY
02-15-2010, 08:23 AM
where does everyone go? i've gone to many different shops over the years and starship seems to be the "best, most consistent artist"...looking for someone thats good at filling in as my sleeve is tribal and only half filled in.

I've had 95% of my sleeve done by Jon @ BodyRituals. He's been super cool about helping me with the designs, the color and style is great, and he is very reasonably priced if you get a decent amount done.

I had a very bad experience with SKIN on Oakland Ave, one of the owners (at the time) did some work and it scarred badly. He went to jail for selling pot and rx meds while on probation.

Want_Notch
02-15-2010, 08:58 AM
lots of A&D ointment

Monstr913
02-15-2010, 11:25 AM
i got a tat done at tsunami on brady and like arlington years ago the owner did a killer job and awesome price but then they shut down and havent been able to find him since and off hand cant think of his name, still did awesome work...

RX7project:if you didnt have a reaction to tattoo goo but do everything else i'd stick with it, i dont like it cuz of price and hard to find plus made my tat fade, but has different reaction to everyone

WickedSix
02-15-2010, 12:10 PM
unbandage after an hour
wash with unscented anti-bacterial soap
mousturize 3 times a day

thats how half my back and upper arm has been done...minimal peeling and no touch up needed.... black tattoos seem to be the most finicky for me so far....my forearm had to be recolored... of course it was scrapped up before i got the tattoo from moving brandon's stove :rolf

i goto absolute in the falls... and eddie is my main artist

fyi ty, eddie has a shovel for filling in your tribal....47 needles of fury lmao

BR3W CITY
02-15-2010, 12:48 PM
i got a tat done at tsunami on brady and like arlington years ago the owner did a killer job and awesome price but then they shut down and havent been able to find him since and off hand cant think of his name, still did awesome work...

RX7project:if you didnt have a reaction to tattoo goo but do everything else i'd stick with it, i dont like it cuz of price and hard to find plus made my tat fade, but has different reaction to everyone

Tsunami was owned by a girl named Rachel, a guy named Chris and another who I can't remember.

Rachel moved to oregon, Chris worked a couple places locally, but I don't know where he wound up.

My pop had his work done by Eddie at Absolute. Pretty good work, but he can be pricey depending, and he's a bit heavy handed (read, his ink hurts!)

-stew-
02-15-2010, 02:27 PM
I just use Lubraderm Advanced with no scents and shit. I've been tattooed by Ed at Absolute, I'm not impressed with his work. Digger at Diggers Den in Elkhorn does shitty work. I'm not happy with the work he did for me. Heather Shinn at Starship does stellar work. I never would in a million years walk into Starship to get a tattoo until I saw some of Heathers work, now that I have some of her work, I'd go back in a heart beat. Now that he is back in town Julio Avillia is my go to guy for ink. He did one of my first tattoo, then moved to Cali for six or seven ears. He works at Solid State Tattoo in Bayview. He has done three pieces for me, and will continue to get all of my business as long as he is in the area.

http://www.julioavila.com/

BR3W CITY
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
Digger does suck! I had a friend that worked at his shop for a short time, absolutely miserable place.

My girlfriend had some work done by Sam, who is now part-owner at Atomic on North. He used to be at Body Rituals and his work was pretty good, although I can't vouch for him since the move. Stay away from Pooh, he's a ripoff unless "prison tattoo" is the style you want.

-stew-
02-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I forgot to add this: Look at an artists portfolio, use that to judge style, not quality. Fresh tattoos look great. They pop when they are ten minutes old and get the pic snapped, But a photo can hide a lot of flaws. Choose an artist on recommendations from people with work done my them, and by looking at work they have done that is old. Like two or three years old. Time tells all.