PDA

View Full Version : Death at the Olympics yesterday on the luge

pOrk
02-13-2010, 06:39 PM
88 to zero in the blink of an eye, RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili. Only 21 years old...

pOrk
02-13-2010, 06:52 PM
Video: GRAPHIC

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/video/nodar-kumaritashvili-video-fatal-luge-crash-9823485

u_say_go
02-13-2010, 06:57 PM
horrible wreck!

Car Guy
02-13-2010, 07:05 PM
WOW, he was gone the second he hit the metal support beam.....:(

xxtremeteam
02-13-2010, 07:08 PM

I second that^^^^^^^^^^^^^

michelle
02-13-2010, 07:25 PM
Wow, that's horribly sad to see and hear.

Prince Valiant
02-13-2010, 07:25 PM
makes one wonder why the put such beams so close to the track....or why there wasn't a better barrier to keep him from flying off the track.

pOrk
02-13-2010, 07:32 PM
^ There is now, they put up an 8 or 10 ft wall. These tracks are supposed to be designed so that its improbable to exit the track ANYWHERE except for past the finish line.

Holeshot
02-13-2010, 07:58 PM
makes one wonder why the put such beams so close to the track....or why there wasn't a better barrier to keep him from flying off the track.

Tragic loss and totally preventable I think.

Its always an after thought after someone is severely injured or killed.

Look how long it took NASCAR to install the safer barrier walls. Not till after Adam Petty May 12, 2000 Tony Roper Oct. 14, 2000, Kenny Irwin July 7, 2000 and require an Hans device Dale Earnhart Feb. 18, 2001

SSLEVO
02-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Good god, that shit should be like a waterslide, no way out. Its too bad something like that has to happen to get results.

LIL EVO
02-13-2010, 08:51 PM
Was that his shoe flying off on the right side of the screen when he hit the pole?

MoCkiN U
02-13-2010, 08:53 PM
could be part of the helmet too which is just scary to consider

Korndogg
02-13-2010, 09:27 PM

technically he wasn't dead for a while after that I guess but theres no way he was concious or anything so yeah pretty much

Crawlin
02-13-2010, 09:31 PM
one of the websites has a close up view of them giving him chest compressions and CPR. Real up close.

Feel sad for his family/friends/teammates.

The statistics of his passes down that track has said he's crashed 3 other times in the 16 attempts he made during training/testing in the past couple weeks.

Silver350
02-13-2010, 09:44 PM
I watched it at work yesterday and was like eek. Then when I watched it at home on my tv and heard the loud sound that was made on impact I gasp. Truely tragic. Such a young guy My heart goes out to his family.

MoCkiN U
02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
in those same pics you can see the coloring in his face and he looks gone right there. One of the pics shows them checking a pulse and he is all pale.

it was on huffingtonpost.com but I see they took the ap photo down. obviously for the right reason

Holeshot
02-13-2010, 09:52 PM
From the looks of these pics he must have split the back of his skull. How sad Prayers to his family. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/12/nodar-kumaritashvili-cras_n_460474.html

GTSLOW
02-13-2010, 10:48 PM

Seriously, jesus christ the designer of that section has to be an idiot.

badass88gt
02-13-2010, 11:05 PM
This guy came off his sled 3 times in recent practice. This accident has very little to do with track design and more to do with an uncomfortable and maybe unskilled athlete. If he fell off a couple of times before you know he was nervous and edgy on each run after, and his worst fear came true. It's a shame to see someone young die like this and you gotta feel for his family, but it isn't the track's fault.

MoCkiN U
02-13-2010, 11:21 PM
going into the olympics there were several pieces during the day and one was a hour deal with the engineers who created the luge track. They were showing pieces of bragging about it being made of concrete and steel with having gas (forgot what kind) running through pipes under the track to keep the ice frozen.

They were proud it was the fastest and most aggressive track ever made.

I wonder what will happen to them now? Isnt a admission of fault if they lowered the starting gate tonight and also padded those same poles while covering them with wood? I would think so. If it wasnt a problem why do something to fix it. Also, why in the hell wouldnt you review that better. Even a casual person looking at the track asks themselves what happens if a person flies out. You would think certified engineers would think the same.

We have several engineers on this board. Wonder what their thoughts are

Prince Valiant
02-13-2010, 11:26 PM
This guy came off his sled 3 times in recent practice. This accident has very little to do with track design and more to do with an uncomfortable and maybe unskilled athlete. If he fell off a couple of times before you know he was nervous and edgy on each run after, and his worst fear came true. It's a shame to see someone young die like this and you gotta feel for his family, but it isn't the track's fault.Basic risk management dictates that you plan for someone coming off the track....

You're right in a sense...the kid was responsible for his crash and the designers couldn't have made it so he wouldn't crash. However, it IS forseeable that someone would crash, and that person crashing COULD come off the track; thus you design a track with that foresight....and reduce the risk as much as possible by removing objects that someone could collide with.

badass88gt
02-14-2010, 06:51 AM
When it was built they should have included provisions to prevent this, eg: taller walls, posts further away, etc. They had to make changes now just "because", imagine what the outcry would be if they did nothing? I look at it the same as NHRA trying to slow the cars down after a death. It only last for so long and it still doesnt do anything. There's a reason theyre called accidents...

Exitspeed
02-14-2010, 10:40 AM
That was terrible.

awsomeears
02-14-2010, 10:56 AM
There is just something I always thought about seeing those poles lined up like Corn Stalks on the outside of these tracks, anything that is projected out will hit them.

Sad sad day for his country and friends/family

:(

Deggy
02-14-2010, 11:24 AM
:stare

.....I don't even know what to say right now.

drewbird91
02-14-2010, 11:34 AM
For how many millions of dollars they spent on that track, they should have made the higher walls or padded the beams to begin with.

Turbo-Triumph
02-14-2010, 11:49 AM
We have several engineers on this board. Wonder what their thoughts are

seeing is how im an "ASOPE certified power engineer", i guess ill give my POV.

Deffinitly an oversight! I cant believe they wouldnt of gaurded that.

At least his body was destroyed from it, like arms/limbs flying off, so they can have a decent funeral.

jbiscuit
02-14-2010, 01:36 PM
no reason why a "screen" shouldn't have been in place to contain this. Track designers and builders should be held responsible for this or at least sued so things like this don't happen again. You always assume risk when you get on a luge I would think but those poles being so close were a terrible design flaw

LIL EVO
02-14-2010, 02:54 PM
From watching it last night it looked like they built an entire wall in the same area

Syclone0044
02-14-2010, 03:04 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010/02/12/sports/olympics/LUGEDEATH.html

Check out this *incredible* illustrated accident reconstruction! Fresh - just posted 1 hour ago by New York Times.

This is the most well done play by play I have ever seen! Just amazing.

MoCkiN U
02-14-2010, 03:44 PM
and if they same wall is in place he doesnt come out now maybe he ricochets off and comes out of the inside of the track? Who knows but gotta think would be better than what happened. and they key word in all of that is "IF"

Deggy
02-14-2010, 04:59 PM
It's just sad that all the could-a, would-a, and should-a's all come out after a tragedy.

Turbo-Triumph
02-14-2010, 05:15 PM
It's just sad that all the could-a, would-a, and should-a's all come out after a tragedy.

but the fact remains he knew the possibilitys just as you do everytime you press the accelerator in your car. you could crash, just as he did. its just a risk he, and everyone here takes to do what they love to do.

he took the risk, and knew the risk. i dont feel the track engineers should be held liable one bit, because if you loose controll of your car at GLD, flip off the track hit a pole and die, should your family sue GLD b/c a pole was too close for the speeds you were traveling?

I tottally agree the poles were too close, but "what ifs" can get really carried away

pOrk
02-14-2010, 05:30 PM
padded beams wouldn't have saved his life, and they did put up a rather large wall to prevent future accidents on this track

Deggy
02-14-2010, 05:45 PM
but the fact remains he knew the possibilitys just as you do everytime you press the accelerator in your car. you could crash, just as he did. its just a risk he, and everyone here takes to do what they love to do.

he took the risk, and knew the risk. i dont feel the track engineers should be held liable one bit, because if you loose controll of your car at GLD, flip off the track hit a pole and die, should your family sue GLD b/c a pole was too close for the speeds you were traveling?

I tottally agree the poles were too close, but "what ifs" can get really carried away

I agree with you 100%, life is a risk...some people just take those risks head on, and sometimes this is the end result. I also agree with Eric, padded beams wouldn't of helped much at all. Hopefully they take action to prevent this from happening again.

Karps TA
02-14-2010, 06:19 PM
I'm shocked this doesn't happen more often. Seriously, the guy is riding a lightweight bob sled, 90mph down a steep sheet of ice with nothing but a lyrca suit and a helmet. The fact that these guys make it down safely 99% of the time is what's shocking to me.

Deggy
02-14-2010, 06:37 PM
I'm shocked this doesn't happen more often. Seriously, the guy is riding a lightweight bob sled, 90mph down a steep sheet of ice with nothing but a lyrca suit and a helmet. The fact that these guys make it down safely 99% of the time is what's shocking to me.

I don't think it's an olympic event, but there is also a sport called Skeleton Luge, same thing, except going face first. Now that is crazy shit.

Karps TA
02-14-2010, 06:40 PM
Skeleton I think is back to being an olympic event. They had it at the last one I'm pretty sure.

Just think of the amount of things you ever do at 90 mph once. Maybe in a car. Or you bike guys.

But could you imagine going 90 on a skate board or some shit? Or even on a bicycle? I don't think people realize exactly how ridiculous that is. lol

Holeshot
02-14-2010, 06:57 PM
But could you imagine going 90 on a skate board or some shit? Or even on a bicycle? I don't think people realize exactly how ridiculous that is. lol

True that would be crazy fast :stare

u_say_go
02-14-2010, 09:31 PM
yeah, he was a goner right after he hit that pole. as far as the track not being safe...what's considered "safe"? They could just enclose the entire run like one big pipe, but what fun would that be? :shades
The safety police always show up after something like this happens, but where were they before it happened? They'd be right there if a ski jumper lost it in mid-air and bit the big one...they'd be screaming that a safety net should deploy from the ground the instant a jumper looks to be in trouble. I say screw it...if you're crazy enough to go sledding down a track at 90mph, you're well aware of the risks.
Shitty that so many people/countries are coming down on Canada for this unfortunate incident

Prince Valiant
02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
yeah, he was a goner right after he hit that pole. as far as the track not being safe...what's considered "safe"?
It's not that you make anything related to luge "safe;" but removal of unnecessary hazards though is a different thing altogether...

Had those poles not been there and the guy gone off the track, hey, he'd been hurt, and chances still killed (though far less likely).

Had the barrier been higher, and he stayed on the track, chances are high he'd been hurt crashing at the end like that...and small chance of death, sure. But he certainly would have stood a better chance being contained on the track.

Had both been done, it's almost a certainty that the kid would still be alive.

There is a risk that can't be removed from the sport, absolutely...however, there are risk that can certainly be reduced(a more effective barrier and no poles to collide with), that would take nothing from the excitement/speed of the sport of luge.

MoCkiN U
02-14-2010, 10:27 PM
having sport change or adjust for safety doesnt mean the competitors should play in a unfair arena. There was a time where football players didnt wear a helmet and nascar didnt have a suit or cage to protect them. Now they do but the sport is still dangerous only less so. Because they learned from mistakes and tragedies. Just wish with all the learning that has taken place over the years that they had really planned better. Dont think its canada fault. I place blame on the designer of the track.

Its not wisconsins fault if something hazardous is installed at road america so cant hold canada at fault either. Country vs State comparison not fair bt you get it

70 cutlass 442
02-14-2010, 10:59 PM
He was dead instantly.... I cant believe how that section of the track was setup.... yes its a risk anytime you go down it, but when its preventable, then It shouldn't have happened

Yooformula
02-15-2010, 01:21 AM
I cant believe they tried to revive him. its clear his head was cracked open, it seems almost cruel to try to bring him back.

Car Guy
02-15-2010, 09:43 AM
I cant believe they tried to revive him. its clear his head was cracked open, it seems almost cruel to try to bring him back.

For legal (and moral) reasons they must try, otherwise the family could sue claiming there might have been a chance he was able to be saved.....

70 cutlass 442
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
For legal (and moral) reasons they must try, otherwise the family could sue claiming there might have been a chance he was able to be saved.....

not necessarily true.... our protocols state that we shouldn't resuscitate if there is "obvious death" and one of the guidelines for obvious death is "trauma incompatible with life" The mechanism alone was so severe that survival was unlikely.... not to mention the bleeding form the ears/ mouth. Granted, guidelines and protocols will differ in certain areas, but Its obvious that the resuscitation efforts were pretty much for show at that point....

Prince Valiant
02-15-2010, 12:42 PM
not necessarily true.... our protocols state that we shouldn't resuscitate if there is "obvious death" and one of the guidelines for obvious death is "trauma incompatible with life" The mechanism alone was so severe that survival was unlikely.... not to mention the bleeding form the ears/ mouth. Granted, guidelines and protocols will differ in certain areas, but Its obvious that the resuscitation efforts were pretty much for show at that point....I'm not sure of what paramedic or EMT protocols are, but bleeding from either the ear or the mouth is not a death sentence though...as long as bleeding/blood loss can be controlled, CPR administered, and it's obvious that no other signs of irreversible death has occured (rigor mortis/decomposition/etc...which clearly wasn't the case here), and the fact that it occurred right in front of the rescue provider, then resuscitation efforts are indicated.

Though the bleeding particularly from the ears indicate significant skull fracture, this isn't a head injury incompatible with life....such as say, a decapitation would be. Many a traumatic brain injuries that included skull fractures have survived...and yes, some with minimal long-term effects.

Granted, this was imo, a case where death from the injuries was unavoidable...blunt trauma of this magnitude is very rarely survivable. From the severe cranial injuries, to cervical/thoracic spinal injuries (certainly a number of spinal bones were simply crushed beyond recognition), crushing thoracic injuries, and even abdominal injuries were all present...and too many injuries for this kid to survive.

Had there been a delay from point of injury until the point the rescue providers arrived (as such would be the case in a car accident), I'm sure he would have been declared a DOA...but because there wasn't technically an "arrival," I believe the rescue efforts were warranted.

70 cutlass 442
02-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure of what paramedic or EMT protocols are, but bleeding from either the ear or the mouth is not a death sentence though...as long as bleeding/blood loss can be controlled, CPR administered, and it's obvious that no other signs of irreversible death has occured (rigor mortis/decomposition/etc...which clearly wasn't the case here), and the fact that it occurred right in front of the rescue provider, then resuscitation efforts are indicated.

Though the bleeding particularly from the ears indicate significant skull fracture, this isn't a head injury incompatible with life....such as say, a decapitation would be. Many a traumatic brain injuries that included skull fractures have survived...and yes, some with minimal long-term effects.

Granted, this was imo, a case where death from the injuries was unavoidable...blunt trauma of this magnitude is very rarely survivable. From the severe cranial injuries, to cervical/thoracic spinal injuries (certainly a number of spinal bones were simply crushed beyond recognition), crushing thoracic injuries, and even abdominal injuries were all present...and too many injuries for this kid to survive.

Had there been a delay from point of injury until the point the rescue providers arrived (as such would be the case in a car accident), I'm sure he would have been declared a DOA...but because there wasn't technically an "arrival," I believe the rescue efforts were warranted.

I was more or less referring to what appeared to be an open head wound in one of the pictures behind the ear. Its hard to tell if any brain matter was out, but it looked like it may be very possible. Obviously I wasn't there, and being that a rescuer was standing right there im sure he just acted on instinct.... in fact i can guarantee it was all instinct since he didn't even have gloves on. But your right, had that been a MVA where there was a response time.... it probably just would have been a call to the medical examiner... non the less the out comes were the same.