PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Car Shipping

DynoTom
02-11-2010, 12:00 AM
In an effort to cut shipping costs with it’s brand new 1971 Vega Chevrolet worked with Union Pacific to develop “Vert-A-Pac” which allowed 30 cars to be shipped versus 18 that a normal boxcar could carry. Because of the vertical shipping method, the railcars were taller than normal forcing the railroad line to follow special routes to avoid low overpasses.
According to Collectible Automobile The Vegas had four removable steel sockets inserted into the undercarriage. As the Vert-a-pac car doors were lifted and closed the Vegas would roll forward an catch on hooks on the doors. When the doors were fully shut the Vegas were suspended side by side, roof to roof.
The Vega’s engine oil pan had a special baffle to keep oil from seeping into the number 1 cylinder while the cars were vertical. The battery caps, carburetor float bowls and windshield washer fluid reservoirs were also designed to prevent fluids from leaking during shipping...

http://blog.collectorcarads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vertapak1.jpg

http://blog.collectorcarads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vertapak2.jpg

http://blog.collectorcarads.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/vertapak3.jpg

VroomPshhTsi
02-11-2010, 12:04 AM
I was wondering about all the fluids and how that would eff up a lot of things.

hrsp
02-11-2010, 12:25 AM
hmmmmmm

88Nightmare
02-11-2010, 12:28 AM

they also could be shipped dry to avoid all that extra engineering required to prevent fluids from going where they aren't supposed to

hrsp
02-11-2010, 12:29 AM
they also could be shipped dry to avoid all that extra engineering required to prevent fluids from going where they aren't supposed to

that makes sense!!!

awsomeears
02-11-2010, 07:31 AM
Vegas rock !!!

jbiscuit
02-11-2010, 07:51 AM
a Vega wagon with a high-winding 327 and a 4-speed would be fun! Or what about an LSX and a t56?

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-11-2010, 10:19 AM
Thats really cool to see, as a railfan I'm really diggin that old Milwaukee Road hi-lo.
I understand why shipping them dry was not really an option as those cars need to be started and moved all along their journey.
I wonder where the Vega was built ?

Old guy I use to know use to talk about how when he first started at Nash and how they loaded automobiles into boxcars and they didnt quite drive in, the back of the car had to be pried over a bit with one of them big ole railroad style prybar/jack handles.

Car Guy
02-11-2010, 10:22 AM
Very interesting, my father works for Union Pacific and I will ask if he remembers seeing or hearing about this.....

"The Vega’s engine oil pan had a special baffle to keep oil from seeping into the number 1 cylinder while the cars were vertical"

They were not shipped dry.....

lordairgtar
02-11-2010, 06:26 PM
That pic was probably an off loading point in Milwaukee. My dad told me about that when that happened. He worked for the CMStP&P RR

Crawlin
02-11-2010, 06:34 PM
specially designed rail cars for one specific model - $100,000
longer out of the way routes for special railcars - $100,000

total savings GM saw during that time period - $150,000

Overall Net - -$50,000 (yes that's right NEGATIVE)

Yep, that seems to follow GM's track record, HAHAHAHA

(obviously using ficticious numbers)

88Nightmare
02-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Very interesting, my father works for Union Pacific and I will ask if he remembers seeing or hearing about this.....

"The Vega’s engine oil pan had a special baffle to keep oil from seeping into the number 1 cylinder while the cars were vertical"

They were not shipped dry.....

yeah I know they weren't. My post, which probably could have been worded better was basically stating (or almost asking if thats how you want to take it): they COULD have been shipped dry.

Didn't say they were :thumbsup

Russ Jerome
02-11-2010, 10:29 PM

Honestly in 1971 we had rivers catching on fire, open coal burning and hundred of thousands of people who worked at paper plants diagnosed with cancer, oil spills wouldnt be a big deal back then :)

Another classic pic, river on fire!
http://www.ohiohistorycentral.org/images/11-3-52.jpg

88Nightmare
02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Russ, I wasn't referring to fluid spills and ground contamination or stuff like that... But instead of designing and engineering a special oil pan to keep oil from seeping into cylinders and whatnot, why not just ship it dry? then they could use a standard oil pan and save all that money on R&D

Russ Jerome
02-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I get it now....yes I am very drunk...again....heading to bed turn the lights off when you go.

scaleracer
02-11-2010, 11:46 PM
That's pretty cool wish i was around back then! :thumbsup

Car Guy
02-12-2010, 02:08 AM
That's pretty cool wish i was around back then! :thumbsup

No you don't.....:)

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-12-2010, 08:10 AM
I read elsewhere the car shipped vertical rattled apart, mounts broke and fluids leaked and that the idea was an utter failure and scrapped after only a few runs.
PAR FOR THE COURSE OVER AT OBAMA MOTORS. I wonder why Yota is king of the world ?

I was born in 79 myself but read it was kind of a joke that the Vega engine was such crap that routine maintenance was an oil change, chassis lube and a fresh long block. :thumbsup

indyzmike
02-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I was born in 79 myself but read it was kind of a joke that the Vega engine was such crap that routine maintenance was an oil change, chassis lube and a fresh long block. :thumbsup

The replacement long blocks lasted far longer than the original blocks. Originals were aluminum bores, replacements were steel sleeved. One of my winter beater Vegas was a black 1976 wagon with a vette hood scoop and the name "BIODEGRADABLE" painted on the sides.

Holeshot
02-13-2010, 08:02 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a Cosworth Vega :headbang

lordairgtar
02-14-2010, 12:33 PM
I'd love to get my hands on a Cosworth Vega :headbang
Cossie FTW!

Turbo-Triumph
02-14-2010, 12:53 PM
but read it was kind of a joke that the Vega engine was such crap that routine maintenance was an oil change, chassis lube and a fresh long block. :thumbsup

PFFFFFFFFT! my Dad bought my mom a '74 Vega wagon, that was sitting for (from what they were told) 12 years prior to my dad buying it. The car then sat for another 3-4 years, until my parents divorced, and was towed to a different location, to sit for a few more years until i became owner.

the car sat for roughly 16-20 years, untouched, longer than i was alive, and i litterly replaced the fuel in the tank, replaced the battery, and started it up. Then, because this was before i got my liscense, my Dad drove it (with me in the car) from Milwaukee to FON DU LAC for its FIRST DRIVE IN 16-20 YEARS. and it made it PERFECTLY. (aside from being pulled over for no plates)

So if you consider something that could do this, junk, then yes, the vega motors were indeed trash. :thumbsup