PDA

View Full Version : Question for snow plow guys/homeowners

03CVLX
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
Hey guys,

Looking for opinions from both sides on this one.

My Dad hired a company to plow our driveway this winter. The contract we worked out is to only come if there is more than 3" on the ground. So we have a couple issues currently.

First of all, there has been a two storms early in the year, the company is claiming there was over 3" of snow that fell. It ended up being really close like 2.6" by the time the news gave a snowfall report , but it didn't seem like at the time so we shoveled it and got charged a drive by fee. not a huge deal

Second issue, the next snow was over a day or two with breaks in between. We may have gotten 3" total across all of the storms but not at one time. So the driveway was cleared out in between each snowfall, again we got charged a driveby fee.

Now on the last two big storms, where we have really needed them, they come once mid storm to sort of open things up, and then we don't see them again for at least 20 hours. He was here yesterday at 1PM and has not been back since.

So I guess my question is this, Am I expecting too much hoping that they would clear out the residentials early so people can get to work etc. I know this was a really long drawn out storm, but it happened the same way last time. It's almost like the guy has way to many accounts or something.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-10-2010, 10:12 AM
i would find someone new. it does sound like he has too many accounts.

Dr.Buick
02-10-2010, 10:17 AM
were does he live if its on my way home i will just go knock it out

03CVLX
02-10-2010, 10:26 AM
Were off 48th & Howard in Milwaukee. I guess my Dad just talked to him a little while ago. And he claims he is on his way so we will hold off to see if he is telling the truth.

Dr. Buick or any other plow guys, If anyone may be interested in picking up a couple of accounts, that being our house and possibly my grandparents house shoot me a PM. Cause most likely we are gonna drop this guy ASAP.

Crawlin
02-10-2010, 10:27 AM
most of the plow guys i've seen knock out the businesses first because those contracts are something that can continue to come back and pay big. that might be part of their requirements, and those take a long time. I know the people that do our driveway have other complexes they need to finish up since our's is the smallest.

i've never expected someone to clear a path so I can get to work, i just expect it to be done by the time i get home from work/school

03CVLX
02-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Well, they were just here. Got the truck stuck in driveway twice cause they were trying to drag back too much snow or something. Maybe this is the norm, its just my Dad and I both work such goofy work schedules that some days we are coming home from work by 7-8 am. Others its late at night. So I suppose ultimately there is no perfect situation due to that.

Russ Jerome
02-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Having worked for snow plowing companies, repairing snow equip at shops I've worked at, snow plowing myself and knowing snow plow people personely.......

Plow company owners are mental, at the first sound of possible precipitation they ready their crew of highly trained Mexicans, sitting there with the vehicle ideling and in gear they position themselves to pounce at the first sign. All this prep needs to be billed somehow and your finding this out first hand. They gather every possible contact they can, and race to get the snow before it melts, im serious it could be 45* thurs and they will race to bill you for wen snowfall.

Contract work (annual fee) gets first pass, its neck and neck with city contracting (city has lots of contactors, most for the city employees drives and sidewalks!). Your at the bottom of the food chain being a cash homeowner.

The only way your gonna get what you pay for is a cash guy (like me!) who actualy only does it if it needs it, I usualy call my acouts before hand and discuss weather forecast and how they feel. Some people say just do it if I have any doubts, others would rather save money and let me know when they want it done.

Your not gonna win Im afraid with comercial companies unless you know the owner.

wrath
02-10-2010, 12:40 PM
If you can't find someone in your 'hood to do it, just pay a neighborhood kid to do it with a shovel. Most plow operators that spread themselves over a wide area are lazy and greedy. So they do whatever is easiest/on their big paying routes and then go exercise their driveby clause.

You can have your own clauses such as if the snow that fell overnight is over 3" isn't removed then every hour after 7am that it isn't plowed they lose 20% and if it snows during the day the same applies before 5pm.

Monstr913
02-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Russ is right...thats why i work for myself now...personal guys will always be better cuz we are just working for extra cash not trying to become rich...i look at it like this i got a big truck and like plowing so why not make some money...i been plowing for 6 years and have done lots of driveways over the years and communication is key like Russ said. My vote get a personal guy, i maybe able to help but. how did he get stuck i plowed a church i do that sat all day 12" and didnt get stuck once and did 4 drives back draggin all and didnt get stuck. whats he plowing with?

PureSound15
02-10-2010, 01:03 PM
You can have your own clauses such as if the snow that fell overnight is over 3" isn't removed then every hour after 7am that it isn't plowed they lose 20% and if it snows during the day the same applies before 5pm.

Lol. So now the plow driver has to hire someone to work the acocunts recievable department to track each contract that he has with each individual driveway? Seem's incredibly unrealistic.

Windsors 03 Cobra
02-10-2010, 01:11 PM
Honestly if you want it done right, in an orderly fashion and with the quickness get yourself a good snowblower. One can be had for a couple two tree seasons worth of plow fees.

When you are paying someone who is doing many jobs either for beer or profit you are at their mercy.
Where I work we had some local yocal cobblers who always came late and all that good stuff. Hired Birchwood cause we watch them kick some butt on the huge account next door. Well this year Birchwood is slow as hell on both big commercial accounts here.
I snowblowed the shoppe this morn starting at 6 am, office workers come in at 7 so I like to have the walks cleared for them so I got it done. Later @ 9:30 Birchwood comes along, sorry boys. :flipoff2:
Way too much money too, Birchwood is double what the local yocal and probably wont be doing my works lot much longer.

Gregor
02-10-2010, 01:40 PM
Well I have a 70' driveway and with a little elbow grease I can clear it in a hour or so. This is by hand. No blower. When my snowblower "works" I can clear it in 20 minutes. There has been a few times my local kids have offered to do my drive but never took them up on there "services". Im getting a little pudgy from all the sitting I have been doing. So I need the exercise. And saved a few bucks in the process. Plus only you know your driveway and your less likely to damage something.

The locals all have a ATV with a plow blade on it. Takes only a few minutes to do the drive. If I had a bigger drive I would go that route.

If were only talking about a private drive get a snowblower, small parking lot or long driveway go ATV/blade and all else go with a well written contact with a snow removal.

03CVLX
02-10-2010, 03:22 PM
I definitely understand and we do have a good snowblower, its just my hours at MFD and my dads Hours being out working for DPW clearing the actual city streets, doesn't always jive with clearing out our own drive without packing it all down 8 times before getting to it. :rolf My dad thought he would try hiring someone this year but unless I can find someone willing local or a private guy, I will probably resume doing it myself with the good old snowblower.

jbiscuit
02-10-2010, 03:27 PM
find a neighbor with a plow and offer to pay him cash when you aren't home etc. There are plenty of guys in West Allis/Milw with plows on their trucks. I have a guy by me with a plow if you want me to get his number and PM it to ya when I see him. Talked to him last night in fact when he was out doing the alley by us

03CVLX
02-10-2010, 04:26 PM
Yeah, if you don't mind. Shoot me a PM. I am off 48th and Howard in case he asks you when you mention it.

03CVLX
02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
how did he get stuck i plowed a church i do that sat all day 12" and didnt get stuck once and did 4 drives back draggin all and didnt get stuck. whats he plowing with?

Stuck might be the wrong word but He showed up with a Silverado extended cab with a big salter unit in the bed. I was watching him plow and at first he was doing nothing but spinning the front wheels. Then he repositioned and dropped the blade and he spun the back wheels and the whole back of the truck kicked out towards the neighbors fence. Luckily he didn't take that out.

I'll be the first to admit, I have never plowed with a truck before in my life. However, something just didn't seem right with the way he was doing it.

Old Dog
02-10-2010, 08:47 PM
I also recommend going the "local" route. Either find a guy nearby with a plow or get a referral from one of your neighbors that has their driveway plowed. plow guys love it when they can pick up an account in an area they are already working. It gives them one more reason to be there. I would arrange it to plow only when you call them & give them plenty of notice so they can work it into their schedule.