PDA

View Full Version : HVAC guys in here....

badass88gt
02-09-2010, 03:23 PM
One of the houses we are looking at doesnt have a furnace and ducting, it has electric baseboard heat on the main level and in-floor heat for the lower. What are the options for air conditioning in a house with no ducts? Are window or wall mounted units the only choice?

pOrk
02-09-2010, 03:36 PM
One of the houses we are looking at doesnt have a furnace and ducting, it has electric baseboard heat on the main level and in-floor heat for the lower. What are the options for air conditioning in a house with no ducts? Are window or wall mounted units the only choice?

I can already see where this thread is going to go...

Lisa's folks bought a huge Tri-Level with a similar setup, the infloor heat kicks ass. They also installed AC with all the ducting, its do-able just not cheap.

badass88gt
02-09-2010, 04:35 PM
What do you mean, "where its going to go"?

Does that infloor heat really work well enough to heat the whole "basement" level of the home, enough that the kids can live comfortably?

pOrk
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
What do you mean, "where its going to go"?

Does that infloor heat really work well enough to heat the whole "basement" level of the home, enough that the kids can live comfortably?

Oh yea, when we go over there me and the dog run into the basement and fall asleep on the floor watching the tube. Its incredibly comfortable down there, I wish my basement was half as nice :rolf

There was recently a thread about this same topic, and it got pretty shitty :wow Thats what I meant by the " going to go " comment.

badass88gt
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Gotcha.

07ROUSHSTG3
02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
my buddy has his ac pumped in through the cieling on the top level and through the floor on the ground level. was pricey, but works well.

BR3W CITY
02-09-2010, 06:29 PM
electric baseboard i dislike, but with the radiant floor heat you would be fine. Radiant floor is sooo awesome. Waking up and getting out of bed onto an 85* floor is winnage.

pOrk
02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
You sure its electric baseboard? Might have radiant base board?

awsomeears
02-09-2010, 08:09 PM
Pm'd

Pork LOL

Cryptic
02-10-2010, 12:46 AM
my house has radiant heating (floors included)

We retro fitted A/C ducts through the attic and lost a closet that feeds the lower floors.

its doable

Gregor
02-10-2010, 07:15 AM
I would give up a closet for warm floors and cool summers. For what I understand radiant heat is very wallet friendly.

BR3W CITY
02-10-2010, 07:32 AM
yup. A good boiler is better on the budget in terms of operating costs.

PureSound15
02-10-2010, 09:09 AM
My parent's have radiant heat and have what others have described -

It's an air-conditioner that sits in the attic, from there a bunch of flexible tubes go to the cielings on the top 2 floors. Works pretty well because the cool air settles in the lower levels.