PDA

View Full Version : Car Audio guys

y2kws6
02-09-2010, 11:05 AM
I have been out of the loop for a long time on this stuff, but I know whats needed and what really cost.

I have a 2004 Impala SS that I want to change the deck and speakers along with building my own sub enclosure (have done it before). I have a deck, subs, amps and some speakers already.

What I need to know is what speakers are in the car currently?
What deck spacer kit do I need?
Do I need an extra device because the computer plugs into the radio to make adjustments (I found out that the radio is not required for rest options (oil, etc.)?

Last but not least, where should I get the stuff? I know how much stuff is marked up.

Thanks,

Dan

Karps TA
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
I find the easiest way to find out what you all need is to go to Crutchfield.com and enter your info. You don't have to buy from them, but you can atleast find out all the particulars easily. One nice thing about buying from them is their install kits are nice though, and their directions kick ass.

Philly-O
02-10-2010, 11:07 PM
- 6 1/2" front door
- 6 x 9 rear deck
- depending what your car is factory equipped with (onstar, bose) determines which harness you need
- are you adding a 4ch amp on the aftermarket speakers

y2kws6
02-11-2010, 08:17 AM
- 6 1/2" front door
- 6 x 9 rear deck
- depending what your car is factory equipped with (onstar, bose) determines which harness you need
- are you adding a 4ch amp on the aftermarket speakers

Yes I have a 4 chaneel for the mains and a 2 channel for the subs. I thought it was a bose system and I did not get the car with onstar.

Thanks for the speakers sizes. Now to look in my stock and see what I got.

Dan

CarbonRX
02-11-2010, 09:20 AM
I find the easiest way to find out what you all need is to go to Crutchfield.com and enter your info. You don't have to buy from them, but you can atleast find out all the particulars easily. One nice thing about buying from them is their install kits are nice though, and their directions kick ass.

i would never ever buy from crutchfield... they are more expensive than best buy and best buy marks everything up about 50% already.
onlinecarstereo.com go here, they are great for anything car audio. on time shipping, they have warranty which i have used before without much hassle, huge selection etc. check it out.

Karps TA
02-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Most stuff I've found on Crutchfield is within reason to Best Buy's prices AND includes mounting kits, adapters etc. Not too mention their selection is up to date, compared to Best Buy who in my experience is usually a year behind in models.

I don't buy alot from them, actually rarely. But they do include alot of nice extra's that you don't always get from other places.

Plus like I said, it's a great site for finding out what you actually need for your car even if you don't buy from them. They have all the sizes easliy accessible.

Dr.Buick
02-11-2010, 09:27 AM
Elite on south 27th is the only place i will go. in stock and Great prices.

CarbonRX
02-11-2010, 09:29 AM
crutchfield is like snapon, in the end a wrench is a wrench, your just paying for the biggest name.

Dr.Buick
02-11-2010, 09:31 AM
sorry you are wrong on the tools. when you make a living with them a wrench is not a wrench

u_say_go
02-11-2010, 09:35 AM
sorry you are wrong on the tools. when you make a living with them a wrench is not a wrench
QFT! There's a huge difference when it comes to Snap-on vs. "other" tools, you get what you pay for. Now, toolboxes on the other hand, that's a different story. Sure it's nice to have a big Snap-on box, but they are a total waste of money. I regret ever buying mine. Could have gotten a pro-series Craftsman box of the same size for about $3000 less.

PureSound15
02-11-2010, 09:38 AM
crutchfield is like snapon, in the end a wrench is a wrench, your just paying for the biggest name.

This doesn't make any sense. Crutchfield is popular because the prices aren't terrible (when you consider what you'd pay for the install parts), and because they walk the uneducated person through a semi-complex task.

You're comparing a product to a vendor - at least have your analogy make sense. :thumbsup

Dasred
02-11-2010, 06:58 PM
You should check out NAIOA.com The North American Impala Owners Association, lots of good info on there, and plenty of guys that can make good recommendations that have done the exact project you are looking at.

CarbonRX
02-11-2010, 07:23 PM
This doesn't make any sense. Crutchfield is popular because the prices aren't terrible (when you consider what you'd pay for the install parts), and because they walk the uneducated person through a semi-complex task.

You're comparing a product to a vendor - at least have your analogy make sense. :thumbsup

i wouldn't know i never wanted to pay the rediculous crutchfield prices no matter what they include.
and i like my craftsman tools just as much as any snapon ive ever held

CarbonRX
02-11-2010, 07:32 PM
http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_575T215D2/Rockford-Fosgate-T215D2.html?tp=111
compared to
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_14215_Rockford_Fosgate_T215D2.aspx
notice crutchfield is selling for way above msrp.

Karps TA
02-11-2010, 08:02 PM
Notice also that onlinecarstereo only comes with a 30 day warranty.

Again nobody said you must buy from Crutchfield. Theres tons of places online to buy from that will be cheaper. But Crutchfield provides a service as well as a product. And if you're a newb at installs. Getting the installation kits, harnesses, and directions is worth a couple bucks more for those people.

I personally like their website for reviews and notes on specs of cars. Then I usually buy from Sonix.

Slow Joe
02-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I'd buy the speakers and stuff off eBay... As long as it's new and the brand you want who cares where it comes from...

PureSound15
02-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I agree Joe. You sacrafice local service , but sometimes eBay is half of what msrp is.

SSLEVO
02-11-2010, 10:06 PM
I've never purchased from crutchfield but i can see the appeal they have to a person that is uneasy about the install. I know some of my friends that claim to be "car guys" but can't or won't change their own oil. Those type of people may buy from them.

Slow Joe
02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Local service is overrated.

Philly-O
02-16-2010, 10:02 AM
since you are using amplifiers, the radio relocation harness is the cheapest way to go. best kits has a amp delete harness which will allow you to use the factory wiring to the doors. using the relocation harness allows you to access the waring lights etc. in the cluster unless there is a way to do so without having the factory radio installed still. the other option is the more expensive harness that retains the door chimes and factory amplifier, but rewiring is needed if using a larger power source such as aftermarket amps.

http://www.bestkits.com/SearchResults.aspx?mk=Chevrolet&mkid=4&md=Impala&mdid=122&yrg=2000%20-%202005

http://www.metraonline.com/fit.aspx

these are two sources to find out the parts you will need to do the install.

on a side note buying product online especially ebay, the manufacturer's warrenty is not honnored because it is sold online. it is also common to end up with "b-stock" items, meaning that they are refurbished and sold as new. if a warrenty is offered, check the fine print because it is usually a warrenty from the company selling the product and not from the manufacturer itself and in that case ALL packaging and parts need to be sent in along with the defective peices.
agreed that online shopping is good if you are an educated shopper, but buyer beware.

PureSound15
02-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Local service is overrated.

I disagree - for the same reasons that Phil just noted.

My first job at Stay Tuned was doing service and it was a HUGE pain in the ass, especially when you're dealing with high end audio stuff.

Companies like Memphis and ESPECIALLY JL Audio wont even talk to you about fixing your amp unless you can prove that you purchased it from a authorized retailor, and 99% of the time they'll only talk to the service writer at that shop.

Get into even higher end stuff (Companies you've never heard of, but their $200 4" woofer will blow away anything you've ever heard) like Morel, Rainbow, DIYMA.. etc are exctremely difficult to work with if you've purchased anything off the interwebz.